Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] tubegarden@aol.com is offline

Default thyRATron

Hi RATs!

So, I just found out I can use my big old NOS WE Thyratron as a HV B+
switch.

Just use a 9V battery to negative bias the screen to shut off HV while
the MVs warm up, then, switch off the battery and Kapow! or, it turns
on the HV.

I buy stuff at swap meets that looks cool. Sometimes I even use it for
something besides dust collection

Today my Bing Crosby P-P 6BM8 amp arrived.

Ear life is good life.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Johnny Tang Johnny Tang is offline

Thyratron was used in Radars for generating HV pulses to the Magnatron. They
are rather cool as they have gold plated Anode top cap. It has blue glows
when it is running.

Johnny

egroups.com...
Hi RATs!

So, I just found out I can use my big old NOS WE Thyratron as a HV B+
switch.

Just use a 9V battery to negative bias the screen to shut off HV while
the MVs warm up, then, switch off the battery and Kapow! or, it turns
on the HV.

I buy stuff at swap meets that looks cool. Sometimes I even use it for
something besides dust collection

Today my Bing Crosby P-P 6BM8 amp arrived.

Ear life is good life.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

"Bret Ludwig" said:

What's even cooler is this new invention called a "switch". Takes no
heater power and doesn't put out a pile of hash as gas filled tobes
inevitably do. But Al probably thinks the mysterious raised noise floor
sounds MUUUUUUSICAL. The dumbass.

Geez Brat, didn't you find some Scott or Dyna iron in your favourite
dumpster today?

Why don't you try Magnequest? ;-)

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] tubegarden@aol.com is offline

Bob H. wrote:
Hi Al

What is the ballpark voltage drop across it? (forward biased, of
course).

Thanks
Bob H.

Hi Bob,

I haven't tried it yet. I was just happy to find a use for it. It's
been on my night table for years. I had used a switch on the primary
separate B+ transformer, before, to allow all the MVs to warm up. They
haven't been in circuit for years, neither. They stand upright in the
back corner of my closet, waiting to be called to fight terrorism in
any form, or, at least block some AC ... I got an old Lambda power
supply for the filaments of the 866A. They drop about 15V. I have no
clue about the Thyratron drop. I had never seen a Thyratron mentioned
for audio application. I was a radio repairman in the army. No radar
experience.

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mike Gilmour Mike Gilmour is offline

"Johnny Tang" wrote in message
Thyratron was used in Radars for generating HV pulses to the Magnatron.
They
are rather cool as they have gold plated Anode top cap. It has blue glows
when it is running.

Johnny

I remember the Thyratron from earlyish marine radars, you could actuary hear
it 'singing' along to the prf (pulse repetition frequency) but as a DC
switch it would be quiet I guess. The blue glow indicates early Chav radar
;-) Another was the Triggertron, which sparked between electrodes to
ionise the gas, now that did sing very loudly and had a plastic type mesh
surrounding the glass envelope incase of implosion. I can't find out much
googling Triggertrons, anyone got a link?

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob Weiss Bob Weiss is offline

Mike Gilmour wrote:
I can't find out much
googling Triggertrons, anyone got a link?

Mike

http://www.tubecollector.org/trigatron.htm

Bob Weiss N2IXK
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Bob Weiss" wrote in message
Mike Gilmour wrote:
I can't find out much
googling Triggertrons, anyone got a link?

Mike

http://www.tubecollector.org/trigatron.htm

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Thanks Bob - thats it. The quoted life does seem very short. During that
time (60's) the Shell owned ships that I maintained radars on, two sets were
generally left running H24 & only switched off in port & I can't remember
replacing trigertrons that frequently - that said, marine radars were then
high maintenence with reliability consistent with being almost totally valve
based and operating conditions under vibration and tropical heat. Having
dozens of valves in each set maybe the trigertrons were changed more
frequently than I can remember.

Mike

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Mike Gilmour wrote:
I can't find out much
googling Triggertrons, anyone got a link?

Mike

http://www.tubecollector.org/trigatron.htm

Bob Weiss N2IXK

Thanks Bob - thats it. The quoted life does seem very short. During that
time (60's) the Shell owned ships that I maintained radars on, two sets were
generally left running H24 & only switched off in port & I can't remember
replacing trigertrons that frequently - that said, marine radars were then
high maintenence with reliability consistent with being almost totally valve
based and operating conditions under vibration and tropical heat. Having
dozens of valves in each set maybe the trigertrons were changed more
frequently than I can remember.

Mike

Hi RATs!

Tubes got tested a lot in Viet Nam. Tropical heat, vibration, and Army
Regs required they be pulled and tested a lot. The testing procedure
itself was often the cause of failure. The most common failure mode was
keying the transmitter with the antenna not attached I had worked at
Univac in Saint Paul before getting drafted. The tubes used in early
computers failed very rarely. Less vibration, A few hours of tropical
heat per decade and nobody pulling them until their little dedicated
failure light bulb lit was easy duty. I suppose some Gung Ho management
moron may have ordered them tested occasionally, but, nothing can save
those fools from themselves

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Mike Gilmour Mike Gilmour is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

Mike Gilmour wrote:
[...]

Agreed, valves don't being pulled and tested a lot. Equipment with built in
valve metering allowed valves to perform continuous duty and always lasted a
lot longer. Many years on some less stressed applications like communal
amplifiers and built in crew PA. It was a regular part of the job to log
valve readings ...lots of them.

Mike