Posted to rec.audio.tech
Sanjeev Sanjeev is offline

Default Need Help buying a receiver

I am not a serious audiophile and hence am out of the loop on the
latest technology. I need help choosing a new reciever for playing my
music collection. My present set up includes a 15 year old Sony
receiver 5.1 channels, Bose accoustimass 10 speakers and an old 5 CD
changer. Since my receiver does not have a subwoofer output the
current system sounds a bit out of tune at times, I want to get a new
receiver however most of them are now 7.1, and are heavily loaded for
high definition video systems with HDMI decoding etc. I do not have a
TV on my current system and do not want to put one. So I would like to
get some help on the following questions.
(1) Would putting 5 speakers on a 7.1 system result in loss of fidelity
(2) I would like to put my ipod on the system as well is there a way I
could do this on a receiver and get good fidelity. I tried on my
present system and it sounded awful. I have limited places to connect,
I tried the laser disk connection and it sounded terrible.
(3) The Bose has a feed back system for its bass output, would a
connection to a standard sub woofer output siffice or I need some
speacial type of reciever for this.
Sorry for the very basic questions but I am just beginning to learn.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dan Dan is offline

Sanjeev wrote:
[...]

Look at

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...tem=m1sr560 0

if you don't want to spend too much. Marantz still makes good stuff for
the buck.