Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jandree Jandree is offline

Default Altec 1592b 8 output conversion.

Hi,
Anybody know where I can find information about converting a 1592b
from single output to multichannel output. I saw one for sale on ebay a
few months back. I now have a 1592b and would like to modify it, but
would like some advice.
John

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Jandree" wrote ...
Anybody know where I can find information about
converting a 1592b from single output to multichannel
output. I saw one for sale on ebay a few months back.
I now have a 1592b and would like to modify it, but
would like some advice.

Depends on what you mean by "multichannel output"?

If you mean feeding the monaural output to several
destinations, you can likely do that by "bridging"
more than one hi-Z load across the 1592's relatively
lo-Z output.

If you mean making it "stereo" or something you are
looking at a major re-enginnering and re-wiring of the
unit.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jandree Jandree is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jandree" wrote ...
Anybody know where I can find information about
converting a 1592b from single output to multichannel
output. I saw one for sale on ebay a few months back.
I now have a 1592b and would like to modify it, but
would like some advice.

Depends on what you mean by "multichannel output"?

If you mean feeding the monaural output to several
destinations, you can likely do that by "bridging"
more than one hi-Z load across the 1592's relatively
lo-Z output.

If you mean making it "stereo" or something you are
looking at a major re-enginnering and re-wiring of the
unit.

The unit I saw was set up for 8 individual channels, and yes there will
be some major reworking.
Thanks for your replay

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Jandree" wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jandree" wrote ...
Anybody know where I can find information about
converting a 1592b from single output to multichannel
output. I saw one for sale on ebay a few months back.
I now have a 1592b and would like to modify it, but
would like some advice.

Depends on what you mean by "multichannel output"?

If you mean feeding the monaural output to several
destinations, you can likely do that by "bridging"
more than one hi-Z load across the 1592's relatively
lo-Z output.

If you mean making it "stereo" or something you are
looking at a major re-enginnering and re-wiring of the
unit.

The unit I saw was set up for 8 individual channels, and yes there
will
be some major reworking.
Thanks for your replay

The ones I'm familiar with have only 5 inputs.
What does "8 inidvidual channels" mean?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jandree Jandree is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jandree" wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jandree" wrote ...
[...]

You are correct, my mind must have been somewhere else,. It does have
five inputs and a master gain. The one on ebay had the inputs operating
independently. If I remember correctly, it could be used in that
fashion (independent outputs) or switched back to a single output.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Jandree" wrote in message
ps.com...

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jandree" wrote in message
oups.com...

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Jandree" wrote ...
[...]

You can likely tap the signal from each input either pre
or post "fader", but that is such a simple (and antique)
circuit, it hardly seems worth the trouble. If you want
that "sound" go out and find some of those old "Peerless"
plug-in transformers. Between those and 1/2 a 12AX7,
that is all there is to it. It really isn't "magic". It is just
old.