Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Rasmussen Dave Rasmussen is offline

Default rec.audio.misc

Hi. I play in a community orchestra and tried to record our school's
last concert. They have a recording booth with a dual deck sony cd
recorder. But no documentation. The only thing I was told was that
I needed music grade disks.

I ended up with two disks. But hardly any computers recognize anything is
on them. Our tv station had one deck that could play it.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or does this sound familiar?
I thought you could record cd's on such a deck and go play them
back on your computer because they'd use some standard format.
???

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"Dave Rasmussen" wrote in message

Hi. I play in a community orchestra and tried to record our school's
last concert. They have a recording booth with a dual deck sony cd
recorder. But no documentation. The only thing I was told was that
I needed music grade disks.

Get the make and model of the unit and look up the docs on the web. Most
reputable electronics companies will put their manuals on the web in PDF
format.

I ended up with two disks. But hardly any computers recognize anything is
on them. Our tv station had one deck that could play it.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or does this sound familiar?
I thought you could record cd's on such a deck and go play them
back on your computer because they'd use some standard format.

Not sure, but with my DVD recorder, you have to "finalize" the DVD or
"regular" DVD players may not be able to play the disc. I'm guessing that
the CD Recorder you used may be similar, but you won't know until you check
the manual.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt Walt is offline

Dave Rasmussen wrote:

Hi. I play in a community orchestra and tried to record our school's
last concert. They have a recording booth with a dual deck sony cd
recorder. But no documentation. The only thing I was told was that
I needed music grade disks.

I ended up with two disks. But hardly any computers recognize anything is
on them. Our tv station had one deck that could play it.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or does this sound familiar?
I thought you could record cd's on such a deck and go play them
back on your computer because they'd use some standard format.
???

Did you "finalize" the discs? Orange Book (i.e. recordable CD) standard
allows for recording a bit now, and then coming back and recording a bit
later. When you're done, you "finilize" the disc by writing a table of
contents (which you obviously can't do until after you've recorded
everything) - with the TOC the disc is Red Book standard i.e. compatible
with ordinary CD players. Until you've written the TOC, the disc can
only be read by other Orange Book CD recorders.

Lot's of other things could be causing your symptoms, but this sounds
the most likely.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Dave Rasmussen" wrote ...
Hi. I play in a community orchestra and tried to record our school's
last concert. They have a recording booth with a dual deck sony cd
recorder. But no documentation.

It is extraordinarily helpful to reveal the make/model of the equipment
your are asking about. Else we have to guess in the dark which is a
waste of time and likely not very helpful to you.

The only thing I was told was that I needed music grade disks.

I ended up with two disks.

So DID you use "music grade discs" or not?

But hardly any computers recognize anything is on them.

Do they play on a regular CD player?
Does "hardly any " mean "none" or does it mean "a few"?
If it means "a few"; what computers? What software?
Does everything appear OK on the disc?

Our tv station had one deck that could play it.

Again, potientially crucial information, but useless without
make/model.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or does this sound familiar?

Sounds like either you didn't use "audio discs" (because you didn't
explicitly say whether you did or not?) Or there was some sort of
"finalization" step/process which is required to "close" the discs so
they can be read by others.

I thought you could record cd's on such a deck and go play them
back on your computer because they'd use some standard format.
???

You should be able to take the discs and play them on anything
that will play a regular audio CD disc. Nothing particularly to do
with computers.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
"Dave Rasmussen" wrote ...
[...]

Unless, of course, he didn't get "music disks" but instead bought CD-RW's,
which would explain why they played on some players and not others.
The dual-well Sony is probably there rack-mounted pro unit which will record
on any disk. But an "-RW" disk will not play on many recorders. An "-R"
disk will.

Dave, if what you have is marked CD-RW on the disk, then the lack of
universality on playback is normal...many cd players don't yet handle them,
or at least didn't until just a few years ago. If the disk is marked CD-R,
then the others comments are correct. A CD-R, if finalized after recording,
should play on any CD player.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:00:51 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or does this sound familiar?

Sounds like either you didn't use "audio discs" (because you didn't
explicitly say whether you did or not?) Or there was some sort of
"finalization" step/process which is required to "close" the discs so
they can be read by others.

Richard - couldn't you have offered that one paragraph of possible
help without the other five paragraphs telling him what an idiot he
is? He already knows that :-)

If the recorder requires media with the "Audio" marking it just won't
accept ones without. You should know that.

Lack of finalisation does indeed seem the most likely culprit. Can
the disks be taken back to the machine that made them? I not, it can
be done on any computer with suitable software. The good news is that
they WILL play on at least one machine, so you have a recording.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:28:19 -0400, "Harry Lavo"
wrote:

Unless, of course, he didn't get "music disks" but instead bought CD-RW's,
which would explain why they played on some players and not others.
The dual-well Sony is probably there rack-mounted pro unit which will record
on any disk. But an "-RW" disk will not play on many recorders. An "-R"
disk will.

Possible. Though I'd suggest that RWs work on the majority of players
found today.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

Unless, of course, he didn't get "music disks" but instead bought
CD-RW's,
which would explain why they played on some players and not others.
The dual-well Sony is probably there rack-mounted pro unit which will
record
on any disk. But an "-RW" disk will not play on many recorders. An
"-R"
disk will.

Possible. Though I'd suggest that RWs work on the majority of players
found today.

But the OP didn't really tell us that he tried playing
them on *any* CD player, of whatever vintage.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Laurence Payne" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or does this sound familiar?

Sounds like either you didn't use "audio discs" (because you didn't
explicitly say whether you did or not?) Or there was some sort of
"finalization" step/process which is required to "close" the discs so
they can be read by others.

Richard - couldn't you have offered that one paragraph of possible
help without the other five paragraphs telling him what an idiot he
is? He already knows that :-)

He came to us for advice. Part of the learning experience
is learning how to collect all the salient information with
which to document the question. When I go to a newsgroup
dealing with a topic I am not familiar with, I fully expect to
need a posting or two just to learn enough about the topic to
ask the question properly.

If we just make wild guesses and mislead the OP into
thinking that we can accurately debug his problem we
aren't doing him any favors.
Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 08:09:03 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

If we just make wild guesses and mislead the OP into
thinking that we can accurately debug his problem we
aren't doing him any favors.

So why DID you essay a "wild guess"? :-)