Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Albert

Default Really Nice Reverb? (at a reasonable price)

Hello everyone -

Are there any reasonably-priced, halfway decent "outboard" (i.e., hardware
instead of software plugin) reverb and/or effects processors?

The combination of "reasonably-priced" and "halfway decent" are the operative
words here. This is strictly for home use, recreational, no earning potential
that would justify spending big $$$ on a high-end unit.

I use Cubase LE on the Mac (10.3.9), and am dissatisfied with the software
plugins that I have (Reverb A, Reverb B, RoomMachine, and Ambience). Then
again, I may not know how to set them up properly, either.

Something that could be connected within the digital domain would be a plus
(USB, Firewire, or SPDIF), but perhaps not mandatory. Question: when using
external processors with digital audio software, is all-digital the best way
to go, or perhaps _not_?

On the recommendations of others here, I bought an FMR RNP and have found it
to be a very nice unit (that meets both of my criteria above). Is there any
kind of "equivalent" among external reverb units?

If not, perhaps it's time for the folks at FMR to come up with a "RNR" (Really
Nice Reverb)!

Thanks,
- John
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch

John Albert wrote On 03/22/06 12:40,:
[...]

Well, reasonably priced is subjective, right? So it depends upon your definition of reasonable.

With that in mind...

Cheap: An old Alesis Microverb, Microverb II and Microverb 3 will work, selectively.

Also cheap: Any used Lexicon MPX100, which I find quite acceptable; Alesis Microverb IV, which is
pretty good, too. Roland units aren't bad. Digitech makes some interesting processors, like their
TSR 24, used.

A bit less than cheap: Lexicon MPX200, MPX500 are quite nice, the 500 employing the Lexichip (true
stereo). And Yamaha Rev 500 is also decent. Roland and Digitech come in here somewhere, too.

And now reasonable: Lexicon MPX1, a nice little unit. Yamaha, Sony also make some stuff at this
level, too.

And there are scores of actually good used makes and models to choose from. Old Eventide units, for
example.

And if you have the space: Platesonics.com can set you up, too.

I'm sure I've missed a lot of other products. But the point is to make suggestions to get you thinking.

--Fletch
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

John Albert wrote:

Are there any reasonably-priced, halfway decent "outboard" (i.e.,
hardware instead of software plugin) reverb and/or effects
processors?

You can get a Lexicon MPX1 cheap on eBay these days (which is kind of a
shame somehow). That lets you get into a device that was designed to be
more than a home toy for about the price of a good MI unit. Great
reverb with s/pdif digital in and out.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
zero

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 21:17:10 GMT, "Lorin David Schultz"
wrote:

John Albert wrote:

Are there any reasonably-priced, halfway decent "outboard" (i.e.,
hardware instead of software plugin) reverb and/or effects
processors?

You can get a Lexicon MPX1 cheap on eBay these days (which is kind of a
shame somehow). That lets you get into a device that was designed to be
more than a home toy for about the price of a good MI unit. Great
reverb with s/pdif digital in and out.

Lorin,
There was a lot of drum roll a few months/year ago over the
Kurzweil "Rumor" however I don't remember the "big bang"?

Was it all that or is it now another of many reverbs at it's
justified price point? Thanks.

-zero

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ole Johansen Sjurdal

As Fletch said it all depends on what you call reasonable... TC Electronics
makes some good units too.
M-300 will set you back around $200... same as a lexicon MX 200..... Zoom
also makes decent reverbs but checking prices at swee****er reveald that an
RFX2200 is as expensive as the lexicon and TC listed above and the RFX 1100
has the same price as an Alesis microverb ($150) and the alesis is better
imo.

ole

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver

I have TC plugins that are fine, but not too long ago we went back to
the TC electronics M1 and it is very noticably improved. The m300 is a
great unit (we sell tons of them) but if you can squeeze it the M1 is
great bang for the buck.

Just my opinion,
Doc Weaver

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

John Albert wrote:
The combination of "reasonably-priced" and "halfway decent" are the operative
words here. This is strictly for home use, recreational, no earning potential
that would justify spending big $$$ on a high-end unit.

What is $$$?

How about a used Sony DPS-V55?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Predrag Trpkov

"John Albert" wrote in message
Hello everyone -

Are there any reasonably-priced, halfway decent "outboard" (i.e., hardware
instead of software plugin) reverb and/or effects processors?

New or used?

Even if it has to be new, you'll find out the choice is big enough. The
starter models from Lexicon, TC and others are all reasonably priced and
more than half-decent.

Second-hand, out-of-production, mid-level effect units, however, can be
found on Ebay for silly money. Roland SRV-3030 for 70-80 USD, Yamaha REV-500
for 80-100 Euro, Zoom 9200 for 110-140 USD, Ensoniq DP/2 for 90-125 USD,
Alesis Quadraverb 2 for 100-140 USD etc.

Predrag

Posted to rec.audio.pro
John Albert

In my original post, I wrote:
The combination of "reasonably-priced" and "halfway decent" are the
operative words here. This is strictly for home use, recreational, no earning
potential that would justify spending big $$$ on a high-end unit.

And Scott Dorsey replied:
What is $$$?

Hmmm... how about "under $300"?

- John
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

John Albert wrote:
In my original post, I wrote:
The combination of "reasonably-priced" and "halfway decent" are the
operative words here. This is strictly for home use, recreational, no earning
potential that would justify spending big $$$ on a high-end unit.

And Scott Dorsey replied:
What is $$$?

Hmmm... how about "under $300"?

Used DPS-V55, absolutely. Maybe a 77 if you're lucky and get a good deal.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
CeeDub

[...]

How about the Lexicon MX200? It runs about $200, has nice Lexicon verbs, and
connects up via USB and allows control via its VST plug ins. So, you can
treat it like a hardware plug-in from inside your DAW software. It also has
SPDIF I/O, so you should be able to keep your signal in the digital domain.
The only downside on this unit is it is limited to 48kHz/24 bit. Behringer
also makes the REV2496 that seems to have strong digital I/O, though I don't
know much about the reverb quality. I must say I like the idea that you can
control the MX200 via VST. Pretty cool.

Craig

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve Scott

John Albert wrote:
Hello everyone -

Are there any reasonably-priced, halfway decent "outboard" (i.e., hardware
instead of software plugin) reverb and/or effects processors?

I second TC Electronic M300. $200 new. I've compared it to the M-One
XL and preferred the M300. It has real *knobs* that you can simply
turn to get the sound you want, instead of endless layers of nested
digital menus with scroll buttons. And if you want to store a patch
it's easy.

Also re those scrolling menus -- the M-One XL I had (and maybe some
others do this too) had a really interesting "feature" -- I think there
were something like 300 onboard presets, so you hold the little button
down and scrrrolllll and finally get to the end... and then it stops.
Won't roll over to Preset 1, you have to go backward.

M300 has a unique "live" reverb that can sound very good for something
different than all the moody dark halls. It also has TC dynamic delay
(derived from the 2290), which the M-One, 2000, 3000, etc. do not have.
Tap tempo button or footswitch control, there is also a tempo
adjustment fine tuning knob. It has dual engines, but they combine at
the output like many do, so you can't really process a signal with
separate delays and reverbs.

As far as running digital vs analog -- I think it's not a huge issue
with this unit. With some outboard FX (like my Eventide 2016 and Klark
Teknik DN780) the integral conversion is part of the sound. The
digital IO on the M300 is 44.1 or 48 BTW. You can wire it for both
digital and analog, and just press a single button on the front panel
(again, no menus) to switch between them.

Also, if you ever want to use it inline, rather than as send/return, it
has simple level control and mix % knobs. Just turn them until it
sounds good.

Steve

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Brian Running

I second TC Electronic M300. $200 new.

$150 at Zzounds at the moment.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Acousticmood

Don't forget about the Yamaha SPX-90 (used)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phildo

"John Albert" wrote in message
Hello everyone -

Are there any reasonably-priced, halfway decent "outboard" (i.e., hardware
instead of software plugin) reverb and/or effects processors?

Behringer V-Verb. Absolutely amazing unit for the price. I prefer it to the
PCM80 I have on here.

Phildo

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

zero wrote:

Lorin,
There was a lot of drum roll a few months/year ago over the
Kurzweil "Rumor" however I don't remember the "big bang"?

Was it all that or is it now another of many reverbs at it's
justified price point? Thanks.

Beats me. I've never heard one. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it
was really good though. Fake reverb seems to be one of those things
that gets better and better with each new device. It does take
processing power though, which is why cheap units still tend to
disappoint.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Lorin David Schultz

Acousticmood wrote:

Don't forget about the Yamaha SPX-90 (used)

No no no, he said "reverb." The reverb in the SPX-90 must not be used
for anything other than trashy 80's drums.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Doc Weaver

The m300 IS vastly easier to use. This is why we install so many of
them. My only point is the M1 has programing tools that are great for
the price. Although if the original post is looking for simple, cheap,
and sounds good, I too would suggest the M300. Digital sound with
analog controls

Doc Weaver

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phildo

"Doc Weaver" wrote in message
oups.com...
The m300 IS vastly easier to use. This is why we install so many of
them. My only point is the M1 has programing tools that are great for
the price. Although if the original post is looking for simple, cheap,
and sounds good, I too would suggest the M300. Digital sound with
analog controls

Check out the Behringer. Less money, sounds better.

Phildo

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Lexicon LXP 1 used for $100. Better, denser reverbs than the MPX
series, I have both.
Modified, it competes with my 224XL.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geezer

Fletch mentioned my favorite reasonable reverb, the Yamaha REV500 -
32 bit processing (Most of the Lexi MPX stuff is 24 bit) - very
smooth tails... nary a hint of that crunchy digital decay.

-glenn

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Skler

Lexicon MPX 500 sounds better than any plug-in reverb I've ever used and by
a long shot. To me the acid test is to see how it sounds on a wide variety
of percussion... Anyway, it's an excellent value, especially since you
should be able to find one cheap on ebay for like two hundred bucks.
Lexicon has the best algorithms, at least to my ears.

Skyles
Austin, Tayexayas

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Animix

I saw a used '77 for $350.00 the other day. The MU-R201 can also be had for
around $200.00.. As for the Lexi's, I still prefer the LXP 1 (32k sample
rate notwithstanding) to just about anything they've done recently that can
be bought for $300.00 or less.

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
John Albert wrote:
In my original post, I wrote:
The combination of "reasonably-priced" and "halfway decent" are the
operative words here. This is strictly for home use, recreational, no

earning
potential that would justify spending big $$$ on a high-end unit.

And Scott Dorsey replied:
What is $$$?

Hmmm... how about "under $300"?

Used DPS-V55, absolutely. Maybe a 77 if you're lucky and get a good deal.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kurt Albershardt

Steve Scott wrote:

I second TC Electronic M300. $200 new.

There's also a new M350 which can be controlled by a VST or AU plugin.
http://www.tcelectronic.com/M350

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve Scott

Thanks Kurt. I guess that is responding the Lexicon MX200.
I don't use a computer, but the VST controlled hardware seems to be a
coming thing.

Steve