Posted to rec.audio.car
flak_monkey flak_monkey is offline

Default Match amp and sub

KU40;661080 Wrote:
will do, but it's a little after thanksgiving. do you accept late work?

usually, it's -10 pts for every day it's late.

But since you done so good at finger painting and ABC's, I'll let you
turn it it for full credit.

Oh, you got a 100 and five gold stars for the pasta necklace you made
for captain howdy. The novelty penis pasta you used really reflects his
personality.

--
flak_monkey
Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

How does one know what 110% of what it will take to push the sub to it's xmax
really is. How do you come up with these numbers, where does this way of
thinking come from?

In article , flak_monkey
wrote:

KU40;659983 Wrote:
why would you want to do that? matching RMS ratings is the logical
thing to do.

Logical yes, and a lot better than the previous notion.
For a permanent install, where you are not going to ever change the
box, you should get an amp that puts out 110% of what it will take to
push the sub to it's xmax in that particular installation.

Much better is to get an amp that will do 110% of the sub's thermal rms
power handling. This method works best (IMHO) for amps with tightly
regulated power supplies or amps with rms ratings tested at voltages
close to those that it will actually see in your car. Other amps that
will put out more power with more voltage, it's better in my opinion to
match the rms value of the amp and the sub as close as possible.

The most important thing is to set your gains with a multimeter or an
oscilloscope so that the amp will only put out enough to take the sub
to xmax in that particular install and won't clip OR to the sub's
thermal power limit, which ever comes FIRST.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

It comes from equations apparently. I don't know them, but apparently
winISD does. It'll give you a graph with xmax vs. frequency in your
given box. if you don't have it, try downloading the Alpha (2)
version.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

The equations that it uses are at face value, maximum rated speaker and
amplifier power vs maximum rated speaker excursion and speaker sensitivity.
Now taking into account that speakers can be just as over or under rated as
amplifiers and that two amplifier of the same make and model could have a true
power output difference of 10%. It clearly shows how invalid these equations
really are. But it is a free program.