22Busy

Default Experience with ATR-102 and APR-5003 1/2"

My Spitz machine is either the first or second one he did after
starting his own company. It is rock solid and sounds great. No
experience with the Sony.

On 1 Jul 2003 10:31:01 -0700, (OZ) wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to decide if I want to trade up my Sony APR-5003 for a
Mike Spitz Ampex ATR-102 1/2" and was hoping that someone have or had
first hand experience with both machines. What were the major or minor
difference? No speculation please, experience only!

Thanks,

Ozzie

Bob Ross

As others have mentioned, the big plus for the ATR-102 is
sound...especially w/ Spitz electronics, but even a stock Ampex is one of
the finest sounding 2-tracks I've ever used.

The big plus for the APR-5xxx is editing; if you cut a lot of tape those
Sonys are a joy to work on.

/Bob Ross

OZ wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to decide if I want to trade up my Sony APR-5003 for a
Mike Spitz Ampex ATR-102 1/2" and was hoping that someone have or had
first hand experience with both machines. What were the major or minor
difference? No speculation please, experience only!

Thanks,

Ozzie

Scott Dorsey

Bob Ross wrote:
As others have mentioned, the big plus for the ATR-102 is
sound...especially w/ Spitz electronics, but even a stock Ampex is one of
the finest sounding 2-tracks I've ever used.

The big plus for the APR-5xxx is editing; if you cut a lot of tape those
Sonys are a joy to work on.

So, get an ATR-102 for recording, then a mono Nagra III for editing. Not
only is it a really convenient editing deck, but you can take it on the
airline and cut tape during your flight.

Steven Rhodes

Somehow I can't imagine pulling out a razor blade mid-flight these days...

in article , Scott Dorsey at
wrote on 03.7.4 8:33 AM:
So, get an ATR-102 for recording, then a mono Nagra III for editing. Not
only is it a really convenient editing deck, but you can take it on the
airline and cut tape during your flight.

david

In article , Bob Ross
wrote:

As others have mentioned, the big plus for the ATR-102 is
sound...especially w/ Spitz electronics, but even a stock Ampex is one of
the finest sounding 2-tracks I've ever used.

Alactronics mods 102's as well. I know part of what Bob does is update
the electronics that control spinning the reels, as I have heard the
stock machine can occasionally go a little wild.

Anyone out there know enough to compare what Bob Alach does to one of
these compared to Spitz?

Also, how much of a dif is there sonically between the 1/4" and 1/2"?

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

www.CelebrationSound.com
Scott Dorsey

david wrote:

Alactronics mods 102's as well. I know part of what Bob does is update
the electronics that control spinning the reels, as I have heard the
stock machine can occasionally go a little wild.

The transport controls are actually pretty stable, although you can get
them into weird modes if they are out of alignment. And they do take a
lot of alignment.

Anyone out there know enough to compare what Bob Alach does to one of
these compared to Spitz?

Spitz basically replaces the I/O modules with higher grade ones, if you
want. Since you don't have to use the I/O modules at all, this may or
may not be significant. Otherwise he mostly keeps the machines stock but
he does excellent refurbishment work. Dunno with Alach does.

Also, how much of a dif is there sonically between the 1/4" and 1/2"?

It's considerable. I like 1/4" better most of the time. But 1/2" is
currently very fashionable.