Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] snjstudio@dodo.com.au is offline

Default Delta 1010 glitches PLEASE HELP!

I just upgraded my PC thinking that a new dual core Pentium would be
fun. Now I am in click and pop hell, damn! I have built a few DAW's and
know the usual and not-so-usual tweaks to get rid of these gremlins,
but after 2 weeks I have hit the wall and need to post my situation....
help?!?

SYSTEM:
Asus P5LD2-SE Motherboard.
E6600 Dual core
2 Gig DDR2 533Mhz (Matched 1 Gig pair, on the Qualified Vendors List)
SiSoftware Sandra

Video Adapter PCI-Express
MSI NX 6200 TC (NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM))
Video BIOS : Version 5.44.02.41.00 Video Driver Model : nv4_mini.sys
Version : 6.14.10.9145

2 x M-AUDIO Delta 1010LT Latest drivers.

Western Digital SATA drives - 80Gig (System) and 300Gig (Audio)

Windows XP service pack 2

The problem I am having is random clicks and pops - we all know them,
it is not level too hot, it is not in the same place twice and is not
there when recording silence (!!!). When I select say, Delta input 1
and then monitor the output through Delta output 8, routing it through
Samplitude 8 or SoundForge, I can hear the clicks and pops. No
recording taking place, just live software monitoring the glitches are
there. If I listen to output 1 (not routed through software), it is
fine. Using the DeltaPanel as a mixer, and sending signals to the
"Monitor Mixer" does not glitch... hmmm.

The glitches are there when I try to play back multitrack or single
track audio that has been recorded with no glitches, again randomly. If
I render out a 1Khz tone in soundforge using the simple tone synthesis
function, this playback also glitches.

Here are the things I have checked and tried without any change.
Swapped all PCI devices, tried every configuration possible, no
changes. Checked there are no IRQ conflicts, check it out:
0 : System timer
1 : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
6 : Standard floppy disk controller
7 : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller - 27DA
8 : System CMOS/real time clock
9 : Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
12 : Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
13 : Numeric data processor
14 : Primary IDE Channel
15 : Secondary IDE Channel
16 : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D0
16 : Intel(R) 945G/GZ/P/PL PCI Express Root Port - 2771
16 : MSI NX 6200 TC (NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM))
17 : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
17 : Lucent Win Modem #2
18 : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
19 : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Root Port - 27D6
19 : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
20 : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
20 : Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
21 : M-Audio Delta 1010LT
22 : M-Audio Delta 1010LT
23 : Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller
- 27C0

The modem is only on the list to talk to you guys, it will not be in
there when doing tracking. In fact, it will be a UAD-1 card, but that
is a whole other "crackle and pop" issue that I do not want to think
about until the 1010's are glitch free.

I have tried all the different buffer settings in both the Delta panel
and in the host software. I have rolled back and reupdated BIOS,
Chipset drivers, MAudio drivers, ASIO4ALL drivers, Video card drivers.

I have read all about PCI Latency timings, and have tried all possible
options in BIOS. I have downloaded "Powerstrip" and tried changing
timings here, still glitches, downloaded another similar ap
"doubleDawg" and tweak timings still glitching. I thought I may have
found my problem with this effort... many Delta owners are not getting
SATA drives to talk to the 1010 happily, but this seems limited to
earlier SATA motherboards with the SiS Sata controller, I have the
Intel ICH7. But after trying every tweak suggested and experimenting it
is still glitching, and I get the glitches with live monitoring, no
recording taking place so the Sata Controller conflict theory seems
flimsy. I tried IDE drives JUST TO BE SURE but it still glitches.

I have tried disabling all non-essential services in Task Manager. I
tried every possible BIOS tweak. Still waiting for M-Audio tech support
to reply... not holding my breath.

I have been trying to solve this issue 10 hours a day for 2 weeks, I am
at a loss. I cannot put off work any longer and had to start some
tracking, I AM PRAYING that the audio is being recorded without the
glitches and I can iron out the bug before mixing!!! Sheesh! Any advice
or tips are highly appreciated, I know the Delta 1010lt is budget but
it was amazing on my previous system (fried mb took it out) which was
an Asus P4S8X-X and I thought I had researched any conflicts before
making this new purchase.

Thanks in advance, hope this is a simple thing I've overlooked.
Adam B - SNJ Studio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Check the archives, we just handled this problem.

Read this post and follow the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...0a0cbcd8e8d094

Bottom line - the hapless victim circumvented his problem by taking his
system out of ACPI mode:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ab7261c0a3689e

"I just re-installed using ""MPS Multiprocessor PC" which I believe is a non
APCI HAL which supports Multi Processors."

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] snjstudio@dodo.com.au is offline

Hey Arny, thank a lot for the link (great thread), I have not heard of
this tweak, I have just upgraded to dual core and this sounds like a
very likely culprit. Is there any way to change to "MPS Multiprocessor
PC" without re-installing XP? Probably not, I knew I would have to do a
fresh Window install....

Thanks again, much research has provided nothing and this seems to be
something I can at least try! Nice one.

Adam B
Arny Krueger wrote:
Check the archives, we just handled this problem.
Read this post and follow the thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...0a0cbcd8e8d094
Bottom line - the hapless victim circumvented his problem by taking his
system out of ACPI mode:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...ab7261c0a3689e
"I just re-installed using ""MPS Multiprocessor PC" which I believe is a non
APCI HAL which supports Multi Processors."

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hey Arny, thank a lot for the link (great thread), I have not heard of
this tweak, I have just upgraded to dual core and this sounds like a
very likely culprit. Is there any way to change to "MPS Multiprocessor
PC" without re-installing XP? Probably not, I knew I would have to do a
fresh Window install....

I haven't got any personal experience with this, but various web resources
say that you have to re-install XP to make this switch.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
studiorat studiorat is offline

Is it Jitter? how are the deltas locked together? I've never seen the
control panel with two deltas hooked up, so I don't know if they will
both run on internal and stay locked, but that's where I'd look first.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] snjstudio@dodo.com.au is offline

After much research, I found the following instructions, which I am
STOKED to say WORKED FOR ME!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416

I cannot understand why the fact that you have to install or setup XP
in a unique way for multi processors is not more well known amongst the
online community, this is going to burn a lot of DAW users who upgraded
recently. I have read lots of posts of people giving up in frustration,
even after talking to MICROSOFT about it, and no-one suggested what is
outlined in the link above.

I hope this may help out others getting strange gremlins on a new dual
core machine.
Adam B - SNJ Recording Studio
www.snjstudio.com

Still Problems with Delta 1010 [email protected] Pro Audio 22 October 23rd 06 04:50 PM
Delta 1010 Trickie1983 Pro Audio 7 October 20th 06 01:45 PM
Monitoring set up in SX3 and delta 1010 TS Pro Audio 4 May 1st 06 08:00 PM
Cakewalk Sonar 3 /dbx 386/ Delta 1010 via S/PDIF max Pro Audio 4 July 28th 05 11:18 PM
Lynx 2 vs Delta 1010 Justin Ulysses Morse Pro Audio 1 September 9th 03 05:29 PM