Posted to rec.audio.pro
Argo22 Argo22 is offline

Default Presonus FP10 - Monitor more than 2 channels at a time?

I have a presonus fp10 connected to my computer using Windows Vista.
Right now, i can monitor any two channels at a time on the pc.
However, i would like to use more than 2 channels at a time. I do not
record audio, but have multiple mics and inputs for live audio playing
over the web. Is there a mixer program that can do this rather than
using a recording program like audition or cubase? Just need all
channels to be played back through the windows system, however i cant
seem to do this with the basic windows volume mixer.

Any help?
Thanks
Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Getting Older and Grumpier Gear Minion Getting Older and Grumpier Gear Minion is offline

On Sep 29, 8:42*am, Argo22 wrote:
I have a presonus fp10 connected to my computer using Windows Vista.
Right now, i can monitor any two channels at a time on the pc.
However, i would like to use more than 2 channels at a time. I do not
record audio, but have multiple mics and inputs for live audio playing
over the web. Is there a mixer program that can do this rather than
using a recording program like audition or cubase? Just need all
channels to be played back through the windows system, however i cant
seem to do this with the basic windows volume mixer.

Any help?
Thanks
Mark

I'm not sure if I understand your question.
I have an FP10, using Cubase4LE, and I can monitor
any of the tracks in a project template.
Please elaborate on your set-up and how your
software is configured for a project.
Have you been to the Steinerg support forums?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Argo22 Argo22 is offline

On Sep 29, 1:22*pm, Getting Older and Grumpier Gear Minion westpase-
wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:42*am, Argo22 wrote:

[...]

Basically i would like to hear all 8 channels on the FP10 all the time
in Windows instead of having to use recording software. I can choose
to monitor 2 channels at a time using Windows volume control mixer,
but I would like a volume control for each channel. I perform to live
webcasts which i do not record. Looking for a program, much like the
software mixer of the firebox, that i can use independent from
recording software. I have a roland digital recorder i record on
instead

Thanks
Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Argo22 wrote:

Basically i would like to hear all 8 channels on the FP10 all the time
in Windows instead of having to use recording software.

I would like a volume control for each channel. I perform to live
webcasts which i do not record. Looking for a program, much like the
software mixer of the firebox, that i can use independent from
recording software.

There are some "mixer" programs designed for live shows, mostly theater
applications, but I think that's a really hard way to do it. Someone
around here, Romeo I think, was using a program to mix live PA a while
back and he's not been lynched yet, so I guess it works.

Have you considered getting a plain ol' analog mixer? For the purposes
of a podcast recording, even a low end Behringer or Alesis will do.
Depending on how many mic inputs you need, around $200 should do it. No
computer required at all unless you get into recording the mix on your
computer so you can edit it and upload it without any intermediate steps.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Argo22 Argo22 is offline

On Sep 29, 2:40*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
Argo22 wrote:
[...]

I would however like the option of recording as i tend to lend out my
equipment at times. Have thought about mixers with firewire output
such as the alesis multimix series, and even the Presonus Firebox.
Does the included mixer software for the Firebox let more than 2
channels at a time be monitored throughout windows?

Thanks
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Argo22 wrote:

I would however like the option of recording as i tend to lend out my
equipment at times. Have thought about mixers with firewire output
such as the alesis multimix series, and even the Presonus Firebox.
Does the included mixer software for the Firebox let more than 2
channels at a time be monitored throughout windows?

Mixers like that are totally analog. You don't monitor anything through
Windows (or at least you don't have to), you monitor it straight off the
signal path in the analog mixer. If you're playing to tracks recorded on
your computer, there's almost always a stereo "return" that adds the
computer playback to the monitor mix. The main difference between the
various models other than size (number of channels) is how many channels
get sent to the computer. Some (they'd be the Firewire and USB2 equipped
mixers) can send each mixer input to the computer independently, so you
can have a recorded track for every mic or instrument. Others send only
the stereo mix that you create on the mixer to the computer. If you're
doing live podcasts and you want to record them, the simpler type would
be fine.

Sometimes it's hard to tell from the literature whether a mixer with
built-in digital I/O sends individual channels to the computer or just
the main stereo mix. You have to look closely, and ask specifically if
that's what you want. Few if any send more than just a stereo feed back
to the mixer from the computer. The intent is that you'll mix your
recorded tracks in the computer, and the mixer just provides the means
for monitoring what you're working on.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Argo22" wrote in message
I have a presonus fp10 connected to my computer using Windows Vista.
Right now, i can monitor any two channels at a time on the pc.
However, i would like to use more than 2 channels at a time. I do not
record audio, but have multiple mics and inputs for live audio playing
over the web. Is there a mixer program that can do this rather than
using a recording program like audition or cubase? Just need all
channels to be played back through the windows system, however i cant
seem to do this with the basic windows volume mixer.

Are you possibly looking for an interface/sound card with multiple inputs

just guessing.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

polymod wrote:

"Argo22" wrote in message
I have a presonus fp10 connected to my computer using Windows Vista.
Right now, i can monitor any two channels at a time on the pc.
However, i would like to use more than 2 channels at a time. I do not
record audio, but have multiple mics and inputs for live audio playing
over the web. Is there a mixer program that can do this rather than
using a recording program like audition or cubase? Just need all
channels to be played back through the windows system, however i cant
seem to do this with the basic windows volume mixer.

Are you possibly looking for an interface/sound card with multiple inputs
just guessing.

He has a card with multiple inputs, but he doesn't want to use a regular
edting application with it. He wants some kind of miracle driver that will
allow all of the inputs to be seen by the Windows sound mixer.

And this just isn't going to happen. Either use DAW software or consider
an external hardware mixer.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

[...]