Posted to rec.audio.pro
rickymix rickymix is offline

Default Which new Mac for old PT TDM system

Hi guys, long time no talkie!
I've been sidetracked doing surfing stuff, (check out
http://www.balisurfgear.com/ if you're curious), and I've gotten WAY
out of the loop as far as music and recording technologies. But I'm
currently itching to do some recording of new songs. Unfortunately
both my Laptop PT LE Mbox system and my ancient 9600 TDM system are
giving me huge amounts of grief and are basically unusable.
So I'm thinking maybe I should finally get a new desktop Mac for
my old TDM PTv5.01 system, if that's possible, and would appreciate
your advice and input! I'm happy with the sound of my 888/24 I/Os
clocked through a USD sync and would prefer not to spend thousands
upgrading to HD. But I'm unhappy with the old 9600 TDM system
because:

a.) It won't even load PT anymore, saying "A DigiSystem INIT is
required". (The 888s and USD are turned on.)
b.) I can't back up to DVD.
c.) The MP3s it makes are unreadable in some other computers,
especially if I send them via email.
d.) Here's the main thing: In my laptop PT-LE system I use
SampleTank and EZ Drummer a lot for temp and keeper MIDI parts and
there's no way these programs would run on the old 9600/PTv5.01
system.

So what new Mac computer would you recommend that I get to run the
888s and SampleTank/EZ Drummer properly? What Digi Protools software
will I need, and what type of Expansion Chassis? (I have 2 or 3 Farm
Cards.)
Oh, I should mention that I also want to run Final Cut Pro on the
new computer.
Thanks as always for sharing your expertise and time!
Cheers, Rick Novak.
myspace.com/buckyburro

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

I'd go for a G4. Very cheap and very reliable.
Dual MDD 1,33MHz if you are planning to run OSX only.
Dual MDD 1,25MHz if you want to run OS9 too.

You won't need expansion chassis. The G4 have 4 PCI slots.
If you buy a used one remember to look for one with the PCI card included.

You can run Protools 6.4.1+cs4 and the OS must be OSX 10.3.8
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=36

F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rickymix rickymix is offline

Cool; no expansion chassis! Thanks Federico. Any favorite places
online to buy a new one?
Cheers, Rick.

On Sep 28, 1:38*pm, "Federico" wrote:
I'd go for a G4. Very cheap and very reliable.
Dual MDD 1,33MHz if you are planning to run OSX only.

You won't need expansion chassis. The G4 have 4 PCI slots.
If you buy a used one remember to look for one with the PCI card included..

You can run Protools 6.4.1+cs4 and the OS must be OSX 10.3.8http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&eid=1322&categoryid=36

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

No new G4.... Used only.
Look on Ebay for a
Apple PowerMac G4 MDD Dual 1.25Ghz
F.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
rickymix rickymix is offline

The more I learn, the more confused I get! :)
I Wikied the G4 MDD series and according to Wikipedia there is no
1.33GHz, but there is a 1.42GHz. The prices are great on all of these
though, I guess since they're 5 or 6 years old. Are there any newer
Macs with 4 expansion slots? Also, am I looking for "64 bit, 33 MHz
PCI expansion slots" or something else?
Digi says: "Pro Tools 6.4.1cs4 was the last version of Pro Tools
with support for MIX systems", and you mentioned "the OS must be OSX
10.3.8". However, SampleTank and EZ Drummer both require OSX 10.4, so
it looks to me like there's no way to run them on a MIX system. Or?
I wonder if I could run SampleTank and EZ Drummer on my Laptop PT
LE v7.1 system somehow in sync with audio on a Mix system on a
PowerMac G4 MDD?
Ay Caramba, I just want to record some songs without all these
technical headaches! :)
Thanks for the help!
Cheers, Rick Novak.
myspace.com/buckyburro

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

Sorry, you're right, no 1,33 but 1,42MHz!!!!
The new macs are the G5 but I think that the old TDM won't run on the intel
precessor ones...
And if you find a non-intel processor G5 there will be issiues with the PCI
slots (PCI-X? PCI-Express?)

I think Both Sampletank and EZ Drummer are now programs for intel processors
Macs...
You'll have to investigate more about it.
Try on http://duc.digidesign.com/ and let us now...
F.

"rickymix" ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] audioaesthetic@gmail.com is offline

On Sep 29, 6:44 am, "Federico" wrote:
Sorry, you're right, no 1,33 but 1,42MHz!!!!
The new macs are the G5 but I think that the old TDM won't run on the intel
precessor ones...
And if you find a non-intel processor G5 there will be issiues with the PCI
slots (PCI-X? PCI-Express?)

no
the newest Mac is the Mac Pro, it is intel
the G5 was the last generation of the PPC Mac's
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Federico Federico is offline

Yes,
sorry but here in Italy we call Mac Pro "Intel G5"...
My fault.
F.

no
the newest Mac is the Mac Pro, it is intel
the G5 was the last generation of the PPC Mac's

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

rickymix wrote:

Hi guys, long time no talkie!

Yo, Ricky! I think you're going to need an older Mac in order to avoid
expensive new cards for fancy new slots, plus a bunch of software
upgrades. While eBray is one source, over the years I have found
MegaMacs to be a fien source of used machines:

http://www.megamacs.com/

You probably want to put this query into DAW-Mac, where many deeply
experienced used participate. Compared to the DUC forums it is quick and
focused.

--
ha
Iraq is Arabic for Vietnam
Posted to rec.audio.pro
rickymix rickymix is offline

Hankster! (Some people call him the Hangster Of Luuuuuv! :)
How's life on the Mountain? This year the wife and I just went
another round with breast cancer. She kicked its ass again as usual
and is fine now, done with chemo, and life is getting back to normal.
She's a tough cookie. Now the only boob she has to lose is
ME! :)
Thanks for the tip on megamacs; looks great!
I guess I need the newest, most high powered mac I can find with
PCI expansion slots. Is it correct that these are called "64 bit, 33
MHz
PCI expansion slots"?
I verified that the highest Protools system which will run PT-MIX
is v6.4.1+cs4, but is it true that "the OS must be OSX 10.3.8"?
Currently I'm running SampleTank and EZ Drummer on my PPC laptop
on OSX 10.4.11, so they don't necessarily require Intel processors.
But they do ask for OSX 10.4 or better.
Thanks everyone for your input and sage advice!
Cheers, Rick.
P.S. I'll repost this over at DAW-Mac.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

rickymix wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's the place to ask those most excellent questions.

Glad to hear y'all are surviving, even triumphing over tough odds.

--
ha
shut up and play your guitar
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Kadis Jay Kadis is offline

In article ,
"Federico" wrote:

I'd go for a G4. Very cheap and very reliable.
Dual MDD 1,33MHz if you are planning to run OSX only.
Dual MDD 1,25MHz if you want to run OS9 too.

You won't need expansion chassis. The G4 have 4 PCI slots.
If you buy a used one remember to look for one with the PCI card included.

You can run Protools 6.4.1+cs4 and the OS must be OSX 10.3.8
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=36

F.

You can run 10.3.9 if you back out the version of QuickTime it installs
and re-install 6.5.2. That used to be a pain but I see Apple finally
included an install program that does this.

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x ---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
Posted to rec.audio.pro
rickymix rickymix is offline

Hi Jay!
Yeah, it looks like a 2 GB Mirror Door 1.42 G4 running OS 10.3.9
and PT 6.4.1 +cs4 is my best bet for my MIX-24 PT system. However, It
might not run my SampleTank or EZ Drummer programs, which require OS
10.4.1. I'll try them; who knows, maybe they'll run fine. If not,
perhaps there's a way I can run the main audio session on the TDM
system and run the MIDI stuff as stand-alone sample players on my
laptop? I'm not clear on how I would get the sampler audio outputs
back into my main ProTools session on the MDD 1.42 G4 though. D/A/D
if nothing else I suppose.

I took my sick laptop to the Apple Genius bar and found out what
was causing all the trouble; one of the 2 RAM chips was not working,
so the computer only was running on 1 GB instead of 2 GBs of RAM. So
when I get that back from them on Monday, at least my PT-LE system
should be rock solid like it used to be.

Thanks everyone for your help, as always!
Cheers, Rick.
P.S. Bucky sez "Hey!"