Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Anybody Home?

On Sep 28, 12:23 pm, Eeyore
wrote:

Sounds like you need a news provider that functions. Verizon would not
appear to fit the bill.

I have an alternate. Google. If you don't want to read postings from
Google, though, you'll probably not know what I said.

A lot of people (old timers mostly) scoff at web based mail and news
readers but I rather like it. It doesn't take up space on my
computer's drive, Google keeps messages around for a long time, so if
someone responds to a thread that's been dead for three years, I can
reliable than Verizon.

Verizon is just broken at the moment. Probably the reason why it's not
fixed is because you can't find anyone in tech support who will
acknowledge that there's such a thing as Usenet.

We haven't heard from David Morgan in a while. He mentioned using
Verizon and seeing the same problem that I have. Maybe he's fighting
rather than switching. Or maybe he just has something better to do.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 28, 12:57 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I suggest that Mike do the same with regard to his news service problem.

How do I write to the president of Verizon? I'll fire off a note.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
Verizon is just broken at the moment. Probably the reason why it's not
fixed is because you can't find anyone in tech support who will
acknowledge that there's such a thing as Usenet.

Or maybe they have just stopped supporting it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Sounds like you need a news provider that functions. Verizon would not
appear to fit the bill.

I have an alternate. Google. If you don't want to read postings from
Google, though, you'll probably not know what I said.

I don't block google posts but it is a lame interface to Usenet and does not
show threads of posts which can lead to much misunderstanding and confusion.

It's also basically crap IMHO.

A lot of people (old timers mostly) scoff at web based mail and news
readers but I rather like it. It doesn't take up space on my
computer's drive, Google keeps messages around for a long time, so if
someone responds to a thread that's been dead for three years, I can
reliable than Verizon.

Verizon is just broken at the moment. Probably the reason why it's not
fixed is because you can't find anyone in tech support who will
acknowledge that there's such a thing as Usenet.

We haven't heard from David Morgan in a while. He mentioned using
Verizon and seeing the same problem that I have. Maybe he's fighting
rather than switching. Or maybe he just has something better to do.

Hopefully it'll improve soon. If not go to astraweb.com - pay just $10 for a
non-time-expiring 25GB of downloads (headers excluded too I think). It
should last you many years for text groups. It's what I'm currently using.

One snag. Crossposting to a maximum of 3 groups is allowed or the message
will be 'lost'. Some reckon this limit is no bad thing.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:

On Sep 28, 12:57 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I suggest that Mike do the same with regard to his news service problem.

How do I write to the president of Verizon? I'll fire off a note.

Well do a 'whois' on verizon.net. e.g.

Registrant:
Verizon Trademark Services LLC
Verizon Trademark Services LLC
1320 North Court House Road
Arlington VA 22201
US
+1.7033513164 Fax: +1.7033513669
Domain Name: verizon.net
Registrar Name: Markmonitor.com
Registrar Whois: whois.markmonitor.com
Registrar Homepage:
http://www.markmonitor.com
Administrative Contact:
Domain Administrator
Verizon Trademark Services LLC
1320 North Court House Road
Arlington VA 22201
US
+1.7033513164 Fax: +1.7033513669
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
Verizon GNI - IP System Operations
Verizon GNI - IP System Operations
1880 CAMPUS COMMONS DR
RESTON VA 20191-1512
US
+1.7032954206 Fax: +1.

Phone a few numbers and demand (sorry request 1) the contact addresses phone
numbers and emails of the CEO, CFO etc.

It works you know. Been there done that.

There's yeloow pages too - and no dount google can dig up a few contacts. You
wouldn't believe the stuff I've done with that kind of info.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Big_Al Big_Al is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Google has a few messages dribbling in to this newsgroup but Verizon
hasn't had any new ones in more than a day. Maybe they dropped it and
didn't tell me.

You don't need to reply. I'm mostly just sending this to see if it gets
rejected.

Just wanted to test this group. Been seeing the chatter about it not
working on Verizon, but I see some 60 messages so far today. I posted
this via Verizon.

--
Al.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 28, 4:44 pm, Eeyore
wrote:

Registrant:
Verizon Trademark Services LLC
Verizon Trademark Services LLC
1320 North Court House Road
Arlington VA 22201

Hell, I know where that is. It's three miles from my house. But I'll
bet there aren't any people in that building. I don't recall that it
has any windows.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 28, 3:06 pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
Verizon is just broken at the moment.

Or maybe they have just stopped supporting it.

They did drop a lot of newsgroups a couple of months ago but most if
not all of the rec groups are still there. I can subscribe to
rec.audio.opinion and get new messages there. No reason why they
should just discontinue one group out of a hierarchy. I think it's
just plain broke. The trick is to find someone who knows how to
approach fixing it.

I was on the phone today with someone for about an hour who was
totally clueless but I humored her and let her walk me through the
setup in Outlook. I had to spell rec.audio.pro phonetically for her
and still she kept getting a J in there somewhere. These people really
should learn to understand English.
'

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Sep 28, 4:40 pm, Eeyore
wrote:

I don't block google posts but it is a lame interface to Usenet and does not
show threads of posts which can lead to much misunderstanding and confusion.

I don't know what more you want. I see threads. You have to click on
the "thread view." To be honest, I actually prefer it to what I see in
Thunderbird. I suppose I should be using something like rn to keep you
guys happy.

It's also basically crap IMHO.

What's crap? It works when Verizon doesn't. And I really don't see
very much spam in this newsgroup. Maybe if I was a real newsgroup
junkie and I read a couple of dozen groups I might want something
better organized, but hey, Google works for me. I only moved to
Verizon because you guys were telling me that Google was crap and that
I should get a real news server.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 28, 5:10 pm, Big_Al wrote:

Just wanted to test this group. Been seeing the chatter about it not
working on Verizon, but I see some 60 messages so far today. I posted
this via Verizon.

Verizon gets its news from several sources. Which one you use depends
on where you are. I can post from there, I just haven't seen any new
messages for the past few days.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Romeo Rondeau[_4_] Romeo Rondeau[_4_] is offline

We haven't heard from David Morgan in a while. He mentioned using
Verizon and seeing the same problem that I have. Maybe he's fighting
rather than switching. Or maybe he just has something better to do.

Or maybe Verizon contributed to John McCain's campaign and he's staging
a sit-in :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Big_Al Big_Al is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
Google has a few messages dribbling in to this newsgroup but Verizon
hasn't had any new ones in more than a day. Maybe they dropped it and
didn't tell me.

You don't need to reply. I'm mostly just sending this to see if it gets
rejected.

Curiosity has me. Just testing to see if it works for me.

--
Al.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
On Sep 28, 12:57 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I suggest that Mike do the same with regard to his news service problem.

How do I write to the president of Verizon? I'll fire off a note.

Use a typewriter. You can get his name and mailing address from the investor
services section of the Verizon corporate website.
---scott

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Use a typewriter. You can get his name and mailing address from the investor
services section of the Verizon corporate website.

Yeah I suppose I should, but it's working again. I guess they must have
paid their RCN bill. I think that's where they get news around here.

me he
)