Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Default CD writer?

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Les Cargill wrote:
There's always Exact Audio Copy for error checking and I haven't seen
one that does not do 1X burning.

EAC will ONLY show you uncorrectable errors. As such it's not really
very useful.

EAC doesn't, SFAIK, use any internal instrumentation from the drive
itself.

Right. The problem is that the drive corrects most errors, so the
software never sees them. The only time the software sees an error
is if it is so severe that interpolation is required.

You can have a drive that goes just fine through EAC but gets bounced
back by the pressing plant for having too many errors. And unless
you can see all the errors, you have no way to know what blanks and
what speed give you the lowest possible error rate.

Which gets you back to an nice 'exclusive' expensive purpose-made machine,
or one of those nasty, cheap, and convenient Plextors...

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 15:00:47 -0700 (PDT), Richard Kuschel
wrote:

A thousand bucks? That was inexpensive! The first one I used was
$40,000 including software to run on a 486 PC.(Sony) It write at 1x
and did not read CD's. The blanks were $35 each.

The first one I personally owned (still do) was a Yamaha 102. I
thought it was a great deal at $2500 because it had been $3500
previously.Blanks were about $10.00 each but soon dropped to $3.00. It
came with an excellent manual.

How much could you charge for a CD copy made on this expensive early
gear? Was there a long enough time window to make your money back
before the bubble burst and cheap equipment appeared?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Laurence Payne wrote:

How much could you charge for a CD copy made on this expensive early
gear? Was there a long enough time window to make your money back
before the bubble burst and cheap equipment appeared?

A friend of mine worked at a studio that got a Yamaha when they got down
to $20,000. They charged $50 for a CD and typically made one for every
member of the band in session every day. I don't know if they ever made
their cost back for the CD recorder, but it was a pretty high rate
service-oriented studio and the clients really appreciated having CDs to
take home rather than cassettes.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Laurence Payne wrote:

How much could you charge for a CD copy made on this expensive early
gear? Was there a long enough time window to make your money back
before the bubble burst and cheap equipment appeared?

I was charging time and materials for CD dubs as full studio time, so it
came to around $150 for a one-off.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"geoff" wrote in message

Roy W. Rising wrote:

... My first one was steam powered! ;-p\

Mine to. It was the (in)famous HP4060i. Much steam
emitted as a result of that.

I was also a victim of that device.

My sympathies!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

wrote:
A thousand bucks? That was inexpensive! The first one I used was
$40,000 including software to run on a 486 PC.(Sony) *It write at 1x
and did not read CD's. The blanks were $35 each.

The first one I personally owned (still do) was a Yamaha 102. I
thought it was a great deal at $2500 because it had been $3500
previously.Blanks were about $10.00 each but soon dropped to $3.00. It
came with an excellent manual.

How much could you charge for a CD copy made on this expensive early
gear? *Was there a long enough time window to make your money back
before the bubble burst and cheap equipment appeared?

I didn't own the machine and only about 10 CD's were ever burnt on the
machine. It was an in house project for a travellogue . Actually, the
medium wasn't even CD, it was a pre MD version of a miniature CD that
would only play on a specialized Sony player. To get the play time,
the player used a 4bit floating scheme. The idea was that the player
would be triggered by solar powered transmitters located by the
roadside providing random access to the audio.

Alas, the park service would not allow installation of the
transmitters and it was at that point that I realized the project was
doomed. the company tried to make it pushbutton user friendly, but
that was too much work for the customers who rented the playback
system and at the time (1993) GPS was an expensive future possibility.
It was interesting, the man who started the company had the idea about
the triggering and playback about 10 years before the book Jurrasic
Park came out. The company he started went bankrupt, was purchased by
another company. and that was the last I saw of that Sony burner.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
"geoff" wrote in message

Roy W. Rising wrote:

... My first one was steam powered! ;-p\

Mine to. It was the (in)famous HP4060i. Much steam
emitted as a result of that.

I was also a victim of that device.

My sympathies!

Less than 20% sucess rate and blanks cost me around $15 each at the time ;-(

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:39:51 -0800, Robert Orban
wrote:

I've never bought anything but Plextor. It's not just their reputation
(which might or might not be deserved), but their customer service.

Every Plextor writer I have ever bought (five or six, by now) has croaked
after writing a few hundred CDs. Never have I encountered a brand whose
reliability in my computer is more at odds with its reputation.

Although "hope springs eternal...", I am finished with this brand.

Do you have better luck with other brands? When Plextor WAS Plextor,
it was very rare to get complaints. One is forced to wonder whether
it was something YOU were doing?