Posted to rec.audio.high-end
RoninTO RoninTO is offline

Default Anyone know of a great 2 channel pre-amp that does 5.1 as well

I know this question may be considered blasphemy by many of you but I
am looking for a great 2 channel pre-amp that does 5.1 as well the odd
time my kids want to watch a movie. My current pre-amp is ML32 which
I hope to replace with this new pre-amp. Do I have any hope of
finding an worthy 5.1 replacement for ML32?

Thanks
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"RoninTO" wrote in message
I know this question may be considered blasphemy by many of you but I
am looking for a great 2 channel pre-amp that does 5.1 as well the odd
time my kids want to watch a movie. My current pre-amp is ML32 which
I hope to replace with this new pre-amp. Do I have any hope of
finding an worthy 5.1 replacement for ML32?

Thanks

Audio Research Corporation MP1 ($7500)
Conrad-Johnson MET ($7500, $2500 refurb: tube unit)
Bel Canto Pre 6 ($3800)
McIntosh MAP-1 ($3500)
McCormack MP-1 ($2500)
Parasound Halo P7 ($2000)
Margules Daleth ($1500)

All these are high-end. Some have built in phono; some not. All eschew
video signal processing but handle multi-channel audio. All have built in
matrix, mostly analog. All put the emphasis on musical sound quality. This
is normally not a problem as you can take a video feed directly from the
cable box and/or Blu-Ray/DVD player directly to the TV's multiple inputs, or
to a switcher (HDMI, DVI, Component).

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 19:36:05 -0700, Harry Lavo wrote
(in article ):

"RoninTO" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I found buying a dedicated "Home Theater Surround Receiver" to be a far
better value.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"RoninTO" wrote in message
I know this question may be considered blasphemy by many of you but I
am looking for a great 2 channel pre-amp that does 5.1 as well the odd
time my kids want to watch a movie. =A0 My current pre-amp is ML32 whi=

ch
I hope to replace with this new pre-amp. =A0Do I have any hope of
finding an worthy 5.1 replacement for ML32?

Thanks

Audio Research Corporation MP1 ($7500)
Conrad-Johnson =A0MET ($7500, $2500 refurb: tube unit)
Bel Canto Pre 6 ($3800)
McIntosh MAP-1 ($3500)
McCormack MP-1 ($2500)
Parasound Halo P7 ($2000)
Margules Daleth ($1500)

All these are high-end. =A0Some have built in phono; some not. =A0All e=

schew
video signal processing but handle multi-channel audio. =A0All have bui=

lt in
matrix, mostly analog. =A0All put the emphasis on musical sound quality=

.. =A0This
is normally not a problem as you can take a video feed directly from th=

cable box and/or Blu-Ray/DVD player directly to the TV's multiple input=

s, or
to a switcher (HDMI, DVI, Component).

Yeah, I found buying a dedicated "Home Theater Surround Receiver" to be a=

far
better value.- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely. Given the typical video surround-sound experience and all
the compromises involved in getting there, there is no particular
reason not to have a dedicated inexpensive system.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

wrote in message ...
On Oct 3, 10:51=A0am, Sonnova wrote:

[ excess quoting snipped -- dsr ]

Yeah, I found buying a dedicated "Home Theater Surround Receiver" to be
a far better value.

Absolutely. Given the typical video surround-sound experience and all
the compromises involved in getting there, there is no particular
reason not to have a dedicated inexpensive system.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Unless you live in an apartment! :-)

But more seriously, good surround sound is good surround sound. SACD and
DVD-A sound exceptional on a good surround system designed for music. So
do many music videos. And with Blue-Ray now spawning a host of musical
videos (opera, pop concerts, rock concerts, can orchestral and chamber music
be far behind) there is no reason to have two separate systems.

On the other hand, I have heard name-brand, fairly expensive mid-fi
receivers that strangle the quality of sound that emerges from SACD and
DVD-A disks. Give me liberty, or.....but don't give me an AV receiver.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
willbill[_2_] willbill[_2_] is offline

3 Oct 2009 00:07:16 GMT, RoninTO wrote:

I know this question may be considered blasphemy by many of you but I
am looking for a great 2 channel pre-amp that does 5.1 as well the odd
time my kids want to watch a movie. My current pre-amp is ML32 which
I hope to replace with this new pre-amp. Do I have any hope of
finding an worthy 5.1 replacement for ML32?

For solid state: a MC pre.

1st try a used Bel Canto Pre6 (which I have) from www.audiogon.com
(when they show up), or a Parasound P7 from www.audioadvisor.com
as an open-box/demo/factory-refurb (different price points; call up AA
on their free 800 number and ask that they call back when they have
in a factory-refurb).

With AA whatever Parasound you buy comes with a *full* warranty,
whereas via used audiogon it does not.

For tubes I don't have a clue, but it will be much more expensive than
my above two suggestions, not to mention more of a hassle overall.

Cheers
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ron[_12_] Ron[_12_] is offline

I had a friend bring over a Bryston SP2 for a listen. The SP2 has an
on board DAC as well as an analog bypass mode. The sound when compared
to ML32 is completely different. The Bryston was harsh, bright,
imaged in a very diffused way, and lacked some of the subtle details
I've been accustom to from ML32. I will be auditioning other 5.1
processors but I am sceptical they will replaced my ML32 as my 2
channel pre-amp in my reference system. Does a 5.1 processor
compromise 2 channel listening or is there gear out there that does
both astonishingly well. My reference system is in my listening room
which is also a home theatre set up so having one pre-amp/processor
for both 2 and 5.1 listening would be ideal.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

On 8 Oct 2009 22:26:18 GMT, Ron wrote:

I had a friend bring over a Bryston SP2 for a listen. The SP2 has an
on board DAC as well as an analog bypass mode. The sound when compared
to ML32 is completely different. The Bryston was harsh, bright,
imaged in a very diffused way, and lacked some of the subtle details
I've been accustom to from ML32. I will be auditioning other 5.1
processors but I am sceptical they will replaced my ML32 as my 2
channel pre-amp in my reference system. Does a 5.1 processor
compromise 2 channel listening or is there gear out there that does
both astonishingly well. My reference system is in my listening room
which is also a home theatre set up so having one pre-amp/processor
for both 2 and 5.1 listening would be ideal.

Bryston and ML appeal to different folks but I am pretty sure that the
ML No40 (or, perhaps, the new No502) would be closer to your tastes.
You might also consider the Cary 11A, the Classe SSP800, the Arcam
AV888 or, as some suggest, the AVP-A1HDCI(A).

Kal