dfacedxa

Default AKAI MK20J TAPES

Hello Akai MG14D lovers!

Well there must be a couple of you out there that have attempted to reload the
Akai MK20J tape cartridges instead of buying new ones. Does anyone actually
know what brand and formula of magnetic tape is inside one of those cassettes?
I would love to know as I have a whole pile of them that are too old to be of
any use.

Any standard 1/2" EE high energy tape will work fine.

im glad to know that you can reload these cartridges. would anybody
kno where to get empty cartridges or if there is a substitute cartridge
that will work? would a betamax video tape work possibly? any
informatin would be apreciated.

Scott Dorsey

dfacedxa wrote:
Hello Akai MG14D lovers!

Well there must be a couple of you out there that have attempted to reload the
Akai MK20J tape cartridges instead of buying new ones. Does anyone actually
know what brand and formula of magnetic tape is inside one of those cassettes?
I would love to know as I have a whole pile of them that are too old to be of
any use.

Any standard 1/2" EE high energy tape will work fine.

Yes, but no EE tapes have been in production for well over a decade now.
Any chance of using a standard mastering tape? Can the machine be rebiased
for 407? I know 407 is somewhat lower bias than the EE spec.

im glad to know that you can reload these cartridges. would anybody
kno where to get empty cartridges or if there is a substitute cartridge
that will work? would a betamax video tape work possibly? any
informatin would be apreciated.

As I recall, it is possible to _modify_ beta cartridges to work, but the
end result is not very good. There used to be a handout pasted to the
bulletin board at Rhythm City in Atlanta....

dfacedxa

i read online quantegy 456 1/2" works i dont kno about the EE specs but
you can buy it online.