Kalman Rubinson

Default Simple Crossover Network - Advice Needed

Try one of the speaker building websites (or Dickason's Loudspeaker
Cookbook) for a simple 12bD/8vo 300Hz crossover circuit. You probably
need 2 caps, 2 coils and a pot.

Kal

On 15 Jul 2003 03:54:43 GMT, Jim Cate wrote:

I'm trying to purchase or build a simple, suitably fixed-frequency
crossover network which I can use to protect a Maggie CC2 center speaker
having a 300Hz - 15,000Hz range, approximately. I would like to divert
frequencies below 300Hz to a small full-range speaker (an Advent
10-inch) to protect the Maggie center from damage from lower
frequencies. I intend to turn down the frequency of the Advent tweeter
to an appropriate (natural sounding) level and adjust the relative
volume of the Advent and the Maggie CC2 with a potentiometer.- I would
guess that a rolloff of about 6 - 12 Db per octave would be appropriate.
I'm now running the center and surround channels through an Outlaw ICBM,
which hopefully would not be needed if the center speaker was connected
as described above.

It's likely that I'll have to build such a circuit. - Can someone give
me a list of parts (capacitor, inductor, potentiometer, etc.) including
appropriate power ratings, and instructions for wiring the circuit. Or,
if this simply won't work, provide suggestions as to what would.

Thanks,
Jim

Wylie Williams

Whatever crossover you use will have a capacitor in the signal path to the
Maggies. It will be a large value and good caps at large values are
expensive. Cheap caps might harm the sound. To help resolve this dilemma
maybe somepne out there has experimented with high pass capacitiors in such
a situation and knows the minimum quality it takes to do a decent job.

"Jim Cate" wrote in message
[...]

Jim Cate

Kalman Rubinson wrote:
Try one of the speaker building websites (or Dickason's Loudspeaker
Cookbook) for a simple 12bD/8vo 300Hz crossover circuit. You probably
need 2 caps, 2 coils and a pot.

Kal

Do you have some recommended websites?

Jim

Kalman Rubinson

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:54:22 GMT, Jim Cate wrote:

Kalman Rubinson wrote:
Try one of the speaker building websites (or Dickason's Loudspeaker
Cookbook) for a simple 12bD/8vo 300Hz crossover circuit. You probably
need 2 caps, 2 coils and a pot.

Kal

Do you have some recommended websites?

Not offhand but, if I needed to (I have several books on this), I'd
find them (again) with a Google search. Try DIY. Loudspeakers,
Madisound, etc. Mebbe others will chime in.

Kal