Marco Stanzani

Default Electrostatic headphone

I am looking for an ES headphone and I am looking for advice. Of
course the brand to go should be Stax so the next question is what
model has the better price-to-quality figure. Since I also want to
consider the used market, I wonder if there is any drawback / risk on
buying an used ES headphone - I know there are some with ES
loudspeaker, indeed

Thanks in advance to everybody who'll answer
Marco Stanzani

Thanks Gene
Next question is then: what is the average lifetime for the diaphragms?

Cheers
Gene Poon

Marco Stanzani wrote:
Thanks Gene
Next question is then: what is the average lifetime for the diaphragms?

==================

I can't say for the Stax; the ones I had that lost the conductivity on
the diaphragms were about eight years old. My Koss ESP-9, which I still
have and still work, are probably thirty years old, by now. The fluid
filled earpads have lost their fluid, so I backed them up with foam, and
the diaphragms are still good, probably due to extreme care in use.

So the Koss diaphragms seem stable as to aging if now to excess
listening levels.

-GP

Richard Adams

Default Computer Speakers

Can someone please recommend a good
high-end computer speaker set (if there is
such a thing). I'm currently using Cambridge
Soundworks but would like to graduate to
something much better. I'm sure there is a lot
of junk out there that I'd prefer to avoid.
I would welcome whatever suggestions you
can give me. My favorite speaker maker
is B&W but they don't make computer speakers.
I like rich, warm sound. Thanks for your help.

Rich
Richard D Pierce

In article ,
Richard Adams wrote:
Can someone please recommend a good
high-end computer speaker set (if there is
such a thing). I'm currently using Cambridge
Soundworks but would like to graduate to
something much better. I'm sure there is a lot
of junk out there that I'd prefer to avoid.
I would welcome whatever suggestions you
can give me.

What do YOU mean by "computer speaker?" There are major
differences between "computer" speakers and normal
speakers:

1. most normal speakers are cheap, flimsy wooden cabinets
filled with badly designed, awful sounding components,

2. most computer speakers are cheap flimsy plastic cabinets
filled with badly designed, awful sounding shielded
components.

The two major issues you need consider are 1) size: that's up to
you how much real estate you can tolerate loosing around your
monitor and 2) shielding, which can be alleviated by either
distance or completely rendered irrelevant by using a non-CRT
display.

Once you have those issues solved, then you can use ANY speaker
you want as a "computer speaker." You may need to get an
amplifier to power them, but that's no big deal. At that point,
it's a matter of buying the right cables, which are readily
available.

My favorite speaker maker
is B&W but they don't make computer speakers.
I like rich, warm sound. Thanks for your help.

So, use your favorite B&W speakers. Buy whatever integrated
amplifier or (maybe preferably) receiver (then you can listen to
the radio and CDs when your computer is off or doing something
else), and go spend maybe $20 on the needed cable from your
sound card to the line-level (like "Aux") input of the amplifier
receiver and enjoy the exact sound you want.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |

Richard Adams

Thank you for those recommendations. I will check them out.
I also see that I can use almost any speaker as long as I use the
right cable and hook-ups. I guess that does make sense, however I
won't be hooking up my 801's to my computer though. I can see that
working very well. I'll check into the Paradigm and M&K brands.
Thanks!
Rich

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:05:25 GMT, (Mr 645) wrote:

I use a pair of Paradigm Reference Active 40's which work amazingly well on a
computer. Soundstage, depth, musical quality all are far better then a CD
playing in a $25 device inside a compter has a right to sound. Even many MP3's
sound great.

Even right up to the monitors there is no problems with magnetic interference.

M&K also make a nice hi-end powered speaker perfect for computer use.

Jon
http://www.jonlayephotography.com

René

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:05:25 GMT, (Mr 645) wrote:

I use a pair of Paradigm Reference Active 40's which work amazingly well on a
computer. Soundstage, depth, musical quality all are far better then a CD
playing in a $25 device inside a compter has a right to sound. Even many MP3's
sound great.

Even right up to the monitors there is no problems with magnetic interference.

M&K also make a nice hi-end powered speaker perfect for computer use.

Jon
http://www.jonlayephotography.com

Note that most PC cards can drive speakers directly, not needing
amplifiers at all. The Power level is usually 1 Watt, which is
surprisingly sufficient for most applications - if the speakers are
not too inefficient. (level: typical 1 V RMS into 4 Ohms)

The advantage of a non-amp setup is that hum and noise levels are
remarkably acceptable compared to what is to be expected from those 2
x 500 Watt PMPO wallplug adaptor fed PC speakers.

I have used several souncards ranging from no-name to Soundblasters
with direct connection to speakers. In some cases jumpers need to be
set to low impedance output. No card has blown up or failed during
this type of application.

--
- René

Joseph Oberlander

Richard Adams wrote:
Can someone please recommend a good
high-end computer speaker set (if there is
such a thing). I'm currently using Cambridge
Soundworks but would like to graduate to
something much better. I'm sure there is a lot
of junk out there that I'd prefer to avoid.
I would welcome whatever suggestions you
can give me. My favorite speaker maker
is B&W but they don't make computer speakers.
I like rich, warm sound. Thanks for your help.

Get a nice small amp and your B&W speakers

JYOW

I use a pair of Jamos CS5 bi-Amp multimedia speakers, 20Wpc.

Probably not the best there is but it is made of wood and sounds much better
than any whimpy PC speakers or Bose PC speakers.

They are rather large, slightly larger than a pair of LS3/5A shoebox
speakers.

I think they have been discountinued but some shops in Europe still sell
them, and you can occasionally find them on eBay. The list price was $500.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Multimedia_CS5__17700

"Richard Adams" wrote in message
Can someone please recommend a good
high-end computer speaker set (if there is
such a thing). I'm currently using Cambridge
Soundworks but would like to graduate to
something much better. I'm sure there is a lot
of junk out there that I'd prefer to avoid.
I would welcome whatever suggestions you
can give me. My favorite speaker maker
is B&W but they don't make computer speakers.
I like rich, warm sound. Thanks for your help.

Rich

---
Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net
Complaints to
JYOW

BTW if you are using laptops you should also check out the Echo Indigo
PCMCIA sound card. They are much better sounding than the IBM Thinpkad
built in soundcard. And they are cheap at $99.