Sune T. B. Nielsen

Default Frequency response

Hi
Sorry if im off-topic but i guess some of you guys knows this stuff:

Under technical specifications in manuals for e.g. microphones and
headphones there is often some measurement called frequency response.

I guess the meaning is to picture how high and low frequencies the device
manages. But would this not vary with the amplitude/volume? Or A) is it
reflecting the average of different volumes B) is there a specific volume
that is used as standard?

How are such measurements done? I would like to measure five different
ghettoblasters/boomboxes in order give a somewhat objective idea of what
they are capable of and how 'good' they represent different (areas of)
frequencies.

What equipment is used and what sounds?

Thanks in advance

Sune T. B. Nielsen