steven robinson

Default Help! How do I connect a tweeter array

I am trying to make a custom speaker cabinet and wanted to use one
driver that covers bass and midrange frequencies and a pair of
tweeters for high frquencies.

My problem is I don't understand the impedence matching. If I use an 8
ohms crossover, then presumibly all the drivers should be rated at 8
ohms? accept for the tweeters which I suspect should be rated at 4
ohms each, if I'm using 2 in the tweeter array. I am guessing here and
simply have no idea. My other query is, should I use a 2 way or three
way crossover?

With the two way crossover, I thought I would connect the 8 ohms low
frequency to my combined bass and midrange driver and the high
frequency to the 2 x tweeter array (should they be 8 or 4 ohms?) or
with the three way I was going to connect the crossover bass and
midrange outputs to my combined bass and midrage driver and then
connect my tweeter array to the high frequency output of the
crossover.

I guess the real problem is, If I intend to use two tweeter should
they be 8 or 4 ohms, connected in parallel or series? Also should I
use the two or three way crossover.

Please help, as you can see I'm going round in circles.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Kalman Rubinson

1- Why are you using 2 tweeters? One good one will give better
results and create fewer interference problems.

2- Standard parallel crossover designs consist of separate LP and HP
portions and there's no reason one cannot use an 8ohm LP filter for
the LF/MF driver and a 4ohm HP filter for the tweeter(s),

3- Off the shelf crossovers rarely work with off the shelf drivers.
Successful designs are matched.

4- In general, putting 2 drivers in parallel is preferable if
necessary.

5- Consider getting/reading Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook.

Kal

On 9 Sep 2003 17:32:24 -0700, (steven robinson)
wrote:

[...]

gregs

In article , Kalman Rubinson wrote:
1- Why are you using 2 tweeters? One good one will give better
results and create fewer interference problems.

2- Standard parallel crossover designs consist of separate LP and HP
portions and there's no reason one cannot use an 8ohm LP filter for
the LF/MF driver and a 4ohm HP filter for the tweeter(s),

3- Off the shelf crossovers rarely work with off the shelf drivers.
Successful designs are matched.

4- In general, putting 2 drivers in parallel is preferable if
necessary.

5- Consider getting/reading Dickason's Loudspeaker Cookbook.

I would agree on everything but maybe not the parallel thing. I think
the poster might explain exactly what he is trying to create, for what
purpose, and some idea of the required dispersion, and sound pressure levels.

greg

WTB: 1 MB Quart Tweeter or Tweeter set Hung Lieu Car Audio 2 April 17th 13 02:50 AM
FS: ELECTRO-VOICE SENTRY IV MIDRANGE / TWEETER / XOVERS MarkSG Pro Audio 0 March 10th 04 07:55 AM
Bose system paul tumolo Pro Audio 40 February 23rd 04 03:37 PM
Tweeter Placement... TheBIessedDead Car Audio 8 December 24th 03 06:05 AM
MB Quart tweeter question John Matlock Car Audio 6 October 5th 03 04:01 PM