Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.music.makers.guitar,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
GarageGuitar GarageGuitar is offline

Default Home Studio Sound treatment/Sound Proofing Question

HI everyone.

My home studio is almost idiotically small (approx 7ft x 8ft x 7.5ft
LxWxH), but provides a dedicated space for a desk (with eqpt rack,
nearfield monitors, computer monitor, etc), a couple of mic stands
and a stool to sit on while I play mainly acoustic guitar and record
vocals.

Currently the "sound treatment" consists of wall to wall carpet (no
underpad) and ten 12"x 48" panels of 3/4" styrofoam onto which I've
glued panels of roughly 1-1/2" thick convoluted foam mattress pad (hi-
tech, eh?). Eight of these panels are hung vertically on the walls,
centered vertically, and laid out about 4 inches apart on the two
walls at the mic stand end of the room. There are 2 more panels hung
horizontally behind the desk at the opposite end of the space behind
the nearfields. I also hang a blanket across the doorway while
recording to cut down on reflections off the smooth door surface,.

All of this helps immensely, but the room still suffers from flutter
echo/tin can reverb, which is mucking up my vocal takes, especially
when I get loud. My question is how best to deal with the situation in
a cost-effective manner. How mich of the drywall should I be trying to
cover with absorptive materials? What about bass traps? Should I treat
the ceiling?

On one hand, I feel like I should treat the entire space as a vocal
booth (it's not much bigger!) and glue foam on every inch of surface
area. On the other hand, I dont want a totally dead room.

I'd appreciate your thoughts, suggestions for treatment mateials, war
stories or any other advice you care to offer.

Thanks in advance!

anyone interested in a sound treatment and studio wiring project in Jamaica? Jah Freedom Recording Pro Audio 0 June 17th 07 06:41 PM
Glue for foam for sound-proofing Mick Cantarella Pro Audio 14 January 13th 07 06:57 PM
Sound Proofing LosBenos Pro Audio 4 October 5th 06 05:09 PM
sound proofing [email protected] Pro Audio 6 May 22nd 06 09:12 AM
Sound Dampening/Proofing Mats NorCalVikesFan Pro Audio 5 January 9th 05 03:41 PM