Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carlos Oliveira Carlos Oliveira is offline

Default Mixer or Audio-Interface: which one to choose?

Hello,

I need to do some multitrack recording with something like 4 inputs. I
was initially planning on buying an audio-interface but now I also
come across with mixers that can connect to the computer and send all
the inputs separately. One such example is the Alesis IO 14 (http://
www.alesis.com/product.php?id=95) for an audio-interface and the
Alesis Multimix 8 FW (http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=40) for a
mixer.
This got me a little confused. I'm not able to distinguish which
product will better suit my needs The prices are more or less the
same. As far as I can tell on one hand the audio-interfaces have more
sound quality but for instance, a mixer could help me on setting sound
for a rehearsal or a live performance.

Can some one help me understand what are the main differences between
a mixer with multitrack send to the computer and an audio-interface?
What should I take into account before decide between one of them?

Cheers

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Feb 12, 8:55 am, "Carlos Oliveira" wrote:

I'm not able to distinguish which
product will better suit my needs The prices are more or less the
same. As far as I can tell on one hand the audio-interfaces have more
sound quality but for instance, a mixer could help me on setting sound
for a rehearsal or a live performance.

That means that you haven't defined your needs thoroughly.

Can some one help me understand what are the main differences between
a mixer with multitrack send to the computer and an audio-interface?

There's really more to it than that, and it really hinges on just how
much the mixer can be used as a mixer, and (as far as your needs or
dreams are) how much you want it to work as a mixer.

First off, like any other integrated product, it's convenient to set
up and usually less expensive to buy than individual components (a
mixer and an audio interface) but the major downsides a

1. Not as flexible as far as setup and use, often with limited mixing
capabilities, particularly of the recorded tracks. Most of these allow
you to mix when recording but depend on your DAW program for mixing
tracks that you've recorded.

2. Generally the price of these devices is designed to be attractively
low so the quality of the mixer, A/D and D/A components is in the just-
barely-acceptable range rather than really good.

3. Because everything is built into one box and usually hard-wired
internally, you can't improve the quality incrementally by replacing
the A/D converter.

But they're good starter systems.

What should I take into account before decide between one of them?

This isn't as easy as it sounds, but you need to understand the
various configurations that change during the multitrack recording
process, see which device offers what you need, and decide what you
can live without. The good news is that for the most part, other than
number of inputs and controls, most of these devices are pretty much
the same - they let you record either individual inputs (mics or line
level sources like keyboards) to individual tracks on the computer, or
they let you record a mix of mics to a stereo pair of tracks (like the
stereo mix of a live show).

Also, most don't allow you to route recorded tracks back through the
mixer, they have only one stereo pair returning from the computer to
the mixer. If you're overdubbing, you have to create a mix in your
computer that you can play to, and that's what you hear when you're
playing the overdub. And when you have all the tracks recorded and
you're ready to do the final mix (in the computer) the mixer only
serves as an interface to send the computer mix to your monitor
speakers so you can hear what you're doing.

If you want the flexibility of sending individual tracks or a mix to
the computer and also to bring individual tracks or submixes from the
computer back into the mixer so you can use hands-on controls and the
mixer's EQ section and outboard hardware signal processors rather than
(or in addition to) what's built into the DAW software that you use,
then you will want a mixer without a built-in computer interface and a
separate multi-channel computer interface.

You really should visit a shop that sells this kind of equipment and
look at it yourself. There's so much you can miss if you depend on on-
line descriptions and forums where people basically tell you what they
bought, assuming that your needs are the same as theirs, or worse,
that they've accepted the (only) way of working that their system
provides without knowing how the other half lives.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Jones Mike Jones is offline

I have workstations set up with both configuration types ans use each
differently. My primary tracking workstation is using a Behringer DDX3216
through Lightpipe to an RME DIGI9652. This gives me the ability to track 16
channels at a time and for my style of recording (full live band). I'm
really happy with the results. I don't use this system for doing mixing,
only for tracking the initial session and doing overdubs. For mixing, I have
another workstation set up with an Echo Audio Darla 24, 2 in, 8 out, to
powered monitors. I can use this workstation to record, but I only use it
for mixing the sessions. I really feel the limitations of not having a
perfect listening environment and would never fool myself into thinking I
could do any mastering.

My world; I'm not saying anything I do compares to a professional studio. I
do recording work for friends and family who would never get to record their
music any other way. It's fun, we all learn a lot from every session and the
results are great to capture songs and ideas for the future.

Mike

oups.com...