Tribantura

Default Best Quality Setup

Hi There,
What would be the best possible setup (hardware/software) for converting
vinyl to a wav? I'm using 2 turntables and a mixer and would like to be able
to transfer to my hardrive so i'm able to make studio quality CD's.

Thanks So Much.....

Arny Krueger

"Tribantura" wrote in message
Hi There,
What would be the best possible setup (hardware/software) for
converting vinyl to a wav? I'm using 2 turntables and a mixer and
would like to be able to transfer to my hardrive so i'm able to make
studio quality CD's.

My dream system for doing this would start out with a really good record
cleaning machine, Nitty Gritty or equivalent.

Then, the turntable and arm need to be very respectible. I use a tweaked
Rega Planar 2 but for best results I'd want a straight-line tracking arm
that really works mounted on a turntable with really good damping and shock
isolation. Easy speed control with a built-in strobe would be handy. I miss
my old Thorens TD-125.

The cartridge would probably be a high end Shure, carefully aligned and with
the capacitive loading tweaked for smoothest response with a credible test
record.

The preamp should have good RIAA equalization, low noise, and good volume
control tracking. I have a Apt Holman and a Conrad Johnson. Despite
disparate technology, IME they both work well.

The sound card should be a high end 24 bit card, not because a good 16 bit
card could do the job, but mainly to have a decently pricey product with
some nice numbers to wag in front of the vinylphiles I might be doing work
for. A DAL Card Deluxe would be IMO right down the middle.

An amazing number of people who transcribe vinyl use Cool Edit, now known as
Adobe Audition. It has a lot editing, of noise reduction, and remastering
tools that come in handy for work like this.

Arny Krueger

"Marinko" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Tribantura" wrote in message

The preamp should have good RIAA equalization, low noise, and good
volume control tracking. I have a Apt Holman and a Conrad Johnson.
Despite disparate technology, IME they both work well.

What about software RIAA correction processing (Cool Edit?) after
recording to HDD via linear preamp?

There are inherent dynamic range issues with doing this. Also, I know of no
linear preamps that have a 47K input impedance to properly load the
cartridge.

But, were you to overcome those issues, the obvious way to set it up is to
play a good test record and heuristically come up with a CEP-based
equalization scheme that gave flat response.

One nice thing about this approach is that it enables experimentation with
declicking the actual signal coming off the LP, not the low-passed version
coming out of a equalized preamp.