Graham

Default Beomaster 4000: connection to CD player?

Silly question of the day.

I have recently acquired a Bang & Olufson Beomaster 4000 tuner/amp
(vintage unknown) which has two 5-pin DIN sockets for tape decks and
one similar socket for the phono. No aux socket, though.

I also have a JVC XL-E44 CD player with the usual pair of stereo jack
plugs.

You can see what's coming next. Can I connect the two together and
will this set-up work if I do?

I am not an audiophile, but I really would appreciate any help that
people may be able to provide.

Thanks.
Laurence Payne

I have recently acquired a Bang & Olufson Beomaster 4000 tuner/amp
(vintage unknown) which has two 5-pin DIN sockets for tape decks and
one similar socket for the phono. No aux socket, though.

The tape sockets are aux inputs. Your only problem may be that the
DIN standard had rather difference impedance than the line outputs of
today's gear.

I also have a JVC XL-E44 CD player with the usual pair of stereo jack
plugs.

I hope it's got 4 phono sockets :-)

You can see what's coming next. Can I connect the two together and
will this set-up work if I do?

Try. You can easily obtain a 5-DIN to 4 phonos lead. Experiment
with which pair of phonos produce sound when you plug to tape and make
the appropriate front-panel selection. You won't break anything.
If it sounds good, it's ok.
THCLAW

THE DIN CONNECTOR YOUR B&O
USES WAS USED IN MANY EUROPEAN
STEREOS IN THE 70"S. THEY ARE PRETTY HARD TO FIND.. THE 5 PIN DIN
PLUGS ARE AVAILABLE @ WWW.
PARTSEXPRESS.COM YOU'LL
HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN RCA
JACKS TO INTERFACE W/YOUR
CD PLAYER. BY THE WAY, THOSE
DINS ON YOUR B&O ARE FOR TAPE
REC/PLAY. CONNECT PINS AS FOLLOWS.. WITH DIN PLUG FACING YOU. (CENTER PIN IN 6
O'CLOCK POSITION. CENTER PIN IS COMMON.
PIN IN 5 O'CLOCK POSITION IS RT CHANNEL OUTPUT AND PIN IN 3
O'CLOCK POSITION IS LEFT CHANNEL
OUTPUT. THE REMAINING TWO PINS
ARE FOR RECORDING FROM THE B&O