Robert Westbrook

Default What's happening with this popping noise

Just bought a 99 Dodge Ram B1500 conversion van with factory cd/cassette, it
sounds fantastic to me, and seems to have plenty of power. (how much does it
likely have, and it is all in the head unit?)

I burnt an audio cd of some tracks to be sure it'd play a cdr, and it does work
fine but for one thing.

During a particularly bassy track (moby's "Bodyrock") occassionally at intense
bass hits there will be a loud "POP" then a split second delay before the sound
fades back up to normal, only on the left side. This "pop, sound back to normal"
sequence probably takes less than a half-second. It only happens when I have it
really loud, on tracks like Bodyrock or NIN "Into the void", tracks that thump.

There appear to be 6x9s in the doors down low, and there are two speakers way
forward on the dash - according to crutchfield, the dash units are 3.5".

There are rear 6x9s which were probably put in during conversion (Regency
conversion) but I don't think they are at fault.

I cannot really tell whether it is the left dash speaker or left door speaker
doing this (if it is a speaker doing it at all). Unhooking the door unit looks
to be a simple matter for troubleshooting, but is getting at the dash speaker
going to be a big tear-apart deal? I don't see any screws holding that panel in.

Thanks for any advice!
Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
Robert Westbrook wrote:

[...]

That sounds like overload protection in the amp. It could be caused by
a wire near the speaker rubbing against a grounded metal part. It's
also possible that there are too many speakers connected.
Robert Westbrook

Ahh, so if it is too many speakers (there appear to be 6, who knows what the
ultimate impedance is of the system) maybe it would help if I brought the fader
to front speakers only?

I will check the wires near the 6x9s for shorts to body.

Thanks!