Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default StandAlone Recorder 8 Tracks Recommendation

Hello. I want to buy a standalone recorder for 8 tracks on the cheap, to
record a few jams with my band.
I am looking at the second hand market, but i dont really know what to get.
Choices are of old Adat-VHS recorders from Alesis, Tascam Hi8 Recorder or
newer hard disk recorders from Roland, etc.
I only need 8 tracks recording. All of the editing will be done in a
computer in my house(Imac with RME Fireface), so i dont really need effects,
eq, etc.
It would be nice if the recorder has ADAT I/O to connect to the computer
easily-
I am talking about 300? or something like that.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thanks everyone for the quick answers.

Thinking about Hard disk recorders i have seen in ebay a Fostex VF-160 and
it is another candidate.
www.fostex.com/support/pdf/ fostex/vf160/vf160_product_review.pdf

I like the fact that it has 2 XLR inputs with phantom power, plus another 6
jack with trim and without phantom. So i don't need preamps to record a
basic setup band.
I still like the last 2 options (Alesis XT20 and Tascam DA-38) but the lack
of preamps....
What about the quality of the Fostex VF-160 preamps and converters? Are the
converters worse than on the Alesis or Tascam?

Thanks again.

"Mike Rivers" escribió en el mensaje
oups.com...

wrote:

I am looking at the second hand market, but i dont really know what to
get.
Choices are of old Adat-VHS recorders from Alesis, Tascam Hi8 Recorder or
newer hard disk recorders from Roland, etc.

I think that for $300 you'll have no trouble finding an ADAT XT20, the
model with the better grade A/D converters. TASCAM DA-38s go for about
the same price. It's a tossup which one sounds better, but the ADAT has
1/4" jacks on the back (the TASCAM has RCA and DB-25 connectors) which
might be easier for you to hook up to your system. It might also be
easier for you to find tape for the ADAT.

All of the editing will be done in a
computer in my house(Imac with RME Fireface), so i dont really need
effects,
eq, etc.
It would be nice if the recorder has ADAT I/O to connect to the computer
easily-

Understand that there are no "files" on these recorders. While the ADAT
will hook up to your RME Fireface via the optical interface, the
transfer will be real-time - play on the tape deck and record on the
computer. It's not a big deal, but some people don't realize this.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser

Avoid Tascam. Most need head replacement. None in Hollyweird ever made
it to over 1k hours before head replacement.

There were head issues with the 1st generation of DA88s, which were
fixed fairly early on. DA38's, 98's & 78's never had any such issues &
many 1,000s of hours of use have been logged on all of those models.
It's a robust format.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ted Perlman

I only need 8 tracks recording

Any Alesis XT, Fostex CX8, or Tascam DA38/88/98 will work fine. I've used
them all (10 DA98's to record "Chicago 26 - The Live Album" for the
legendary band) and never had a tape or transport problem with any of them.
They're all great and much more reliable for live recording than ANY
computer.

--
Regards,

Ted Perlman
Producer-Arranger-Composer-Guitarist

www.tedperlman.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thanks again for the recommendation.
I will have to take a good look to ebay...Perhaps a mixer can find a place
in my home-studio too.
I liked the VF-160 most for the compact design, easy transporting.

Jose.

"Mike Rivers" escribió en el mensaje
ps.com...

wrote:

Thinking about Hard disk recorders i have seen in ebay a Fostex VF-160
I like the fact that it has 2 XLR inputs with phantom power, plus another
6

I still like the last 2 options (Alesis XT20 and Tascam DA-38) but the
lack
of preamps....

You asked about a recorder, so I figured you had the 'front end"
covered. You need to be a little more specific when you're talking to
people who consider a "recorder" to be just one component of a
recording system.

Jim Williams makes a good point about the head life of the DA-38. It's
more likely that you'll get a used ADAT wtih a couple of years left on
the heads than with a used DA-38.

What about the quality of the Fostex VF-160 preamps and converters? Are
the
converters worse than on the Alesis or Tascam?

Quite likely. And the preamps aren't anything special either. You
should get a mixer with mic inputs. Probably the cheapest modern mixer
will have mic inputs at least as good as those on the Fostex, and
you'll be able to use it to monitor what you're recording. That's more
important than most people think - they usually figure it out when the
listen to the recording at home and find that something is humming or
crackling, the mic was entirely in the wrong place, or they forgot to
push the record button and a track is empty.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill

wrote:

Thanks everyone for the quick answers.

Thinking about Hard disk recorders i have seen in ebay a Fostex VF-160 and
it is another candidate.
www.fostex.com/support/pdf/ fostex/vf160/vf160_product_review.pdf

I like the fact that it has 2 XLR inputs with phantom power, plus another 6
jack with trim and without phantom. So i don't need preamps to record a
basic setup band.
I still like the last 2 options (Alesis XT20 and Tascam DA-38) but the lack
of preamps....
What about the quality of the Fostex VF-160 preamps and converters? Are the
converters worse than on the Alesis or Tascam?

Wow, I'm slow! I think they are fine, but all I can to is
basic tests of the input/output using white noise and swept sine,
some basic intermod tests.

They seem fine from that.

Not *insanely great*, but unless you are working with people who
play a lot better than the people I record, it won't matter too much.

Again, I've done multiple "at the gig" live recordings with
a VF16 and it all turned out fine. I don't beleive it will
be the weakest link in the chain.

If you're *really* persnickety, get a Crane Song Spider
and hook that into the ADAT input. Oughta be a fine
live rig, then

(Really, I have thought about this - I know where to rent a
Spider... )

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
William Sommerwerck

I have a low-mileage DA-88 I'd like to sell, but $300 is too low.

Marantz PMD660 portable digital recorder review Paul Rubin Pro Audio 63 May 3rd 05 04:37 PM
recommendation for digital voice recorder for interviews? C G Kolar Tech 0 March 2nd 05 05:23 PM
Old 2 tracks reel-to-reel tape - software to decode Harald General 4 January 15th 05 04:16 PM
seeking advice on an analogue home studio setup Chris Pickett Pro Audio 39 December 30th 04 12:00 AM
Question FAQ: rec.audio.* Recording 2/99 (part 7 of 13) [email protected] Pro Audio 0 December 28th 04 12:19 PM