ryanm

Default Small line mixer recommendation

I need a small line level mixer for submixing percussion instrument
mics. What I need is basically 4 inputs with gain control and eq, that will
sum these channels and output to 1 or 2 balanced channels (mono or stereo,
whichever). A headphone output would be nice, so that I can listen to the
submix while tweaking, but isn't really necessary. The important features,
to me, are good eqs for each channel, how compact and sturdy the unit is,
and that it doesn't cost $1000. The reason I need this is because sending
all 4 channels is inefficient, but the difference in the needed eq settings
between the high and low congas alone is problematic, let alone the misc
hand percussion (shakers and other noisemakers) mic. Something like the
Rolls MX44 would be perfect, except it has no eqs and takes unbalanced
inputs. Something like the Sampson MixPad4 would work, except that it only
has 2 balanced inputs and one stereo unbalanced channel. Anyone have any
experience with a compact line mixer that will do what I need, or am I just
going to have to get a larger mixer and deal with it?

ryanm

Josh Snider

in article , ryanm at
wrote on 9/14/03 20.51:

[...]

First off you aren't looking for a line mixer. A line mixer mixes ONLY line
level signals and has no Mic preamps built in. you need a compact Mic/Line
mixer. There are four channel units availible, Behringer, Mackie, Spirit,
Alesis, Yamaha, all make them... But generally when you go that small, you
donąt get much in the way of EQ. Behringer and Mackie provide 3 band EQ on
most of their compact mixers, other then that, you may be SOL. Get a cheap
line mixer, and a few decent mic pres with Eq, but that will cost you. It
really depends on how much EQ you need. If you need a good sweepable eq,
then you arne't gona find it on a compact mixer. Mackie has nice EQ points
for drum kit on the 3 band, as does Spirit (on the compact mixers that HAVE
the 3 band eq) I'd prefer spirits EQ, but I hate the compact mixers for
durability. They always seemed flimsy to me.

Just my two sense. [sic]

josh.snider
cave.productions
416.524.6927

Mike Rivers

"ryanm" wrote in message ...

I need a small line level mixer for submixing percussion instrument
mics. What I need is basically 4 inputs with gain control and eq, that will
sum these channels and output to 1 or 2 balanced channels (mono or stereo,
whichever). A headphone output would be nice, so that I can listen to the
submix while tweaking, but isn't really necessary. The important features,
to me, are good eqs for each channel, how compact and sturdy the unit is,
and that it doesn't cost $1000.

You may be using a term you don't understand. In audio, "Line" doesn't
usually refer to a wire, like clothseline, it refers to a range of
voltage levels. It's more volts than a microphone puts out. If you
want to mix four microphones you need a mic mixer, not a line mixer.
You'd use a line mixer to mix, for example, four keyboards.

Also, you need to decide what to do with the mix. 1 or 2 channels
usually suggests mono (1) or stereo (2). What do you need? If you also
want equalization, it will be hard to find a modern mixer that has
only one or two outputs except for specialized applications, but
there's a level below which you can't pay to get less, and you're
there, so don't worry that you're paying for something you won't use -
you're getting it for free.

I would recommend a used Mackie 1202, or even a new one. That should
be in the range of $200-400 (less than $1000) and will do your job
perfectly. There are cheaper copies around and one of those might do
the job you need, but look at the Mackie first so you'll know what
you're looking for, and at.
Klay Anderson

In article ,
"ryanm" wrote:

I need a small line level mixer for submixing percussion instrument
mics.

All you need is the Rolls HexMix; RM65b. See:
http://www.rolls.com/new/rm65.html

We have them in stock; inqure if interested.

--
Regards,

Klay Anderson

http://www.klay.com
1.800.FOR.KLAY
Moran, Doug - Denison

"ryanm" wrote:

I need a small line level mixer for submixing percussion instrument
mics.

All you need is the Rolls HexMix; RM65b. See:
http://www.rolls.com/new/rm65.html

We have them in stock; inqure if interested.

--
Regards,

Klay Anderson

These are fine units. My fingers are a little large to operate mine. I
need to take that out the rack and get it on eBay.

Surprising quality for the price.

Doug

Gidney and Cloyd

Klay Anderson

Moran, Doug - Denison wrote:
These are fine units. My fingers are a little large to operate mine. I
need to take that out the rack and get it on eBay.

It was lookin good until:

Phantom Power: +36 VDC

An off-by-12 error that my Earthworks mics won't tolerate.

ryanm

"Klay Anderson" wrote in message

All you need is the Rolls HexMix; RM65b. See:
http://www.rolls.com/new/rm65.html

We have them in stock; inqure if interested.

I was trying to avoid rack-sized stuff, because it's going to reside
underneath a timbale stand, and that would make me nervous. It might get
kicked or stepped on, and then there would be trouble. I had looked at that
unit, though, and it does do almost exactly what I was looking for. Just
hoping for something smaller.

ryanm

Chris Hornbeck

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:30:44 -0600, "ryanm"
wrote:

I was hoping for something about the size of an 8.5x11 piece of paper
and about 3" deep or smaller if possible.

I guess it's time for the weekly question about the new
Yamaha series. They include a $100 four mic input mixer.
Nobody tried one yet?

Chris Hornbeck
"Dip deep, Darlings!"

Pooh Bear

ryanm wrote:

[...]

How would this appeal ? It has faders instead of the rotary controls typical of
the 'entry level' mixers made by Samson that you mention, Mackie, Behringer et
al.

http://www.studiomaster.com/c1.html

Graham

Josh Snider

in article , Pooh Bear at
wrote on 9/15/03 22.43:

How would this appeal ? It has faders instead of the rotary controls typical
of
the 'entry level' mixers made by Samson that you mention, Mackie, Behringer et
al.

http://www.studiomaster.com/c1.html

Graham

The 1402 has faders. And it has 60mm ones not 45mm. Last I checked the
Behringer ones had faders as well. Also 60mm not 45. Granted I never liked
studiomaster... Worked on a few of their desks that were stiff as all hell.
Couldnąt even turn some of the pots, and the faders were big and balky.
Felt like I was sliding them through half dried glue.

josh.snider
cave.productions
416.524.6927

ryanm

"Chris Hornbeck" wrote in message

I guess it's time for the weekly question about the new
Yamaha series. They include a $100 four mic input mixer.
Nobody tried one yet?

Nice, now we're talking. Love the mic stand mount, I have a medium
height boom for micing toms/cabinets that would work perfectly without the
boom. It still has more features than I need, but I mean, for $100 what's
not to like? Can't buy 4 mic pres for that.

Thanks, anyone have any good/bad reviews?

ryanm