Healthy Stealthy ;

Default Is there such a thing? (Sound Booths)

Someone told me that there are portable sound booths that can be put
together and taken apart (sort of like a snap set), but I am not sure
if this is true. Has anyone here heard of anything like that?
Thanks
Stephen Sherrard

There are several companies that make them.

I happen to own an old 6' x 6' Whisper Room model that I moved around with
me to several different places that I lived. They are fairly easy to take
apart and put back together, but you need at least three strong guys as some
of the sections are quite heavy.

The disadvantage of them being "portable" is that they are nowhere near
sound proof (nothing is without some very heavy duty construction with
several layers and some air gaps), and probably less sound proof than a more
permanent type of construction would be. They are designed to be pretty
much totally dead as well, which could be an advantage or disadvantage
depending on how you like to work. Mine has served me well over the years,
but I only use it for vocals and solo instrument overdubs, and rent out
other studios in the area with big and nice sounding rooms when I need
something like that.

The newer Whisper Room models supposedly offer a second layer of sound
isolation that you can add on at any time. Mine was made before they came
up with that option, so I don't think mine is compatible.

They aren't cheap! The Whisper Room web site is www.whisperroom.com . I
know that there are at least a couple of other companies making them as
well.... look for the small ads in the back of Mix magazine and other trade
magazines.

Steve
DBAR Productions & MusicTECH - Seattle
http://www.dbar-productions.com
Check out Music-And-Technology.com
http://www.music-and-technology.com
FREE Musicians' Classifieds at:
http://www.freemusiciansclassifieds.com
Download Loops & Samples at LoopLibrary.com!
http://www.looplibrary.com
Producers/Composers Wanted!
http://www.netmusiclibrary.com

"Healthy Stealthy ;" wrote in message
om...
Someone told me that there are portable sound booths that can be put
together and taken apart (sort of like a snap set), but I am not sure
if this is true. Has anyone here heard of anything like that?
Thanks

Ron Charles

Auralex makes one, minus the roof, and it has a window as well. Not bad
quality for the price (About $450 at B&H), but it is made more for naration
than for singers.
Ron Charles
"Healthy Stealthy ;" wrote in message
om...
Someone told me that there are portable sound booths that can be put
together and taken apart (sort of like a snap set), but I am not sure
if this is true. Has anyone here heard of anything like that?
Thanks

Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Healthy Stealthy ; wrote:
Someone told me that there are portable sound booths that can be put
together and taken apart (sort of like a snap set), but I am not sure
if this is true. Has anyone here heard of anything like that?

Recording magazine reviewed a portable gobo set not too long ago. No
isolation, but reasonable damping.
Chris!

"Healthy Stealthy ;" wrote in message
om...
Someone told me that there are portable sound booths that can be put
together and taken apart (sort of like a snap set),

Go to www.markertek.com and do a search for "sound booth" or "portable
sound booth". You'll find a couple of things that assemble like Tinker Toys
(and just as flimsy) that are very portable... they break down into about
five packs that might fit into the trunk of a car.

They are NOT sound proof, but they can make a decent recording environment
in some pretty crappy-sounding locations. These things are more popular in
the video industry than in the audio business and are usually used to record
the on-screen talent doing voice overs while the rest of the crew is setting
up the next shot.

These things cost about $500. Whisperrooms, which are sound resistant if not
sound proof, are about ten times as expensive and about as portable as a
piano.

--
Chris White, Freelance Advertising Writer & Voice Overs*
Email: Web: www.chriswhite.com