ItsTooLoud

Default Wire Recorders

I have some wire recorder reels that I need to transfer to tape. Is there a
difference between brands of recorders, i.e. spools, speeds, or recording
formats? If so, how can I tell what I have? I was going to buy a recorder from
eBay, but I don't want to buy one of every brand until I find one that works...

Paul Andre'
Scott Dorsey

Chris Fewer wrote:

I thought there was only one wire recorder manufactured? Was I misinformed?

No, there were hundreds of different kind. The Webcor ones are most common
in the US, but there are a bunch of standard military models, there was
the Minifon which used a tiny reel of steel wire and a pair of hearing aid
tubes and was no larger than a Walkman, which was very popular with the
intelligence community, etc.
ItsTooLoud

ItsTooLoud wrote:
I have some wire recorder reels that I need to transfer to tape. Is there a
difference between brands of recorders, i.e. spools, speeds, or recording
formats? If so, how can I tell what I have? I was going to buy a recorder

from
eBay, but I don't want to buy one of every brand until I find one that
works...

Yes, and many of them are not constant speed either. Do you know what it
was recorded on?

does wire recording transcriptions a lot and has an
assortment of varying machines for playback.
--scott

Thanks, Scott
The reels are from the attic of a friend's grandparents house. We didn't find
the recorder though. I'll contact for his services instead of
trying to figure it out myself.

Paul

Chris Fewer

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Chris Fewer wrote:

I thought there was only one wire recorder manufactured? Was I

misinformed?

No, there were hundreds of different kind. The Webcor ones are most

common
in the US, but there are a bunch of standard military models, there was
the Minifon which used a tiny reel of steel wire and a pair of hearing aid
tubes and was no larger than a Walkman, which was very popular with the
intelligence community, etc.

I quit happily stand corrected.