Chad Clark

Default U67 into V72 --- a great match!

Tonight was my first encounter with either this microphone (Neumann
U67 in excellent condition) or this preamp (Siemens/Telefunken V72).
I'm doing vocals for some new last-minute songs my band has added to
the album we have coming out in the fall.

Both of these items are being rented at a very reasonable price from a
very kind local audiophile collector guy.

I LOVE THIS SOUND.

I never had that much curiosity about the U67 school but now I think
I'm in love. It is very tight and focused. Vivid and whole. I think
it's actually inspiring me to sing better.

[boring tech stuff: The only other thing in the recording chain is a
Distressor which is being used very timidly. Monitoring the signal
on playback, I am running it through an API EQ (mild brightening) and
a Drawmer 1969 compressor used more aggressively. I am tracking to
Digital Performer locked to a Lucid clock. The resulting files will
be dumped to 2" 16track studer next week.

The U67 is very different than the 251 mic that I had used before on
my own voice for this project. Not better, just a different shade of
really good. Darker and more macho. The 251 is airier and "etched"
sounding.

Some things are famous for a reason, I guess. That's the lesson I
keep learning in audio: a lot of things are classic for a reason.
It's like the first time you play a great Rickenbacker into a cranked
AC30, you're like: "Oh, THERE'S that sound." It's like, you know,
duh. Classic for a reason. I don't know why I'm such an idiot as to
always think I can reinvent the wheel. The U67 into a V72 ain't an
innovative combo, but it sure is brilliant.

I don't know what either of these items sounds like apart from each
other -- don't have time to get all scientific a/b-ing and ****. I'm
on a time crunch. Mainly I just thought I'd write to say that I'm
having a lovely evening recording. I'd just thought I'd share it
with you, my fellow sound-obsessed people.

Gear obsession can be really unhealthy and really dorky, I know. I
don't consider myself a gearhead, but I have to say there are moments
when I really enjoy the rare access I've had to the truly great
recording and music tools that are out there. As someone who
generally works in a world of not high budgets --- and let me state
emphatically that I LOVE that world --- I don't always have access to
this type of thing. But it's nice when it happens.

I wish everyone as pleasant an evening as I'm having.

Cheers,

Chad
tony espinoza

yeah, the 67 is a really special mic. been using ours with various
pre's including the v72. favorite is still the neve 1073. we've
found the EF806 tube (as opposed to the more common EF86) is a real
gem (if you can find one that works).

-tE

SAN FRANCISCO SOUNDWORKS
www.sfsoundworks.com
415.503.1110 vox
Introducing the only SSL 9000 mix room in Northern California