khoi

Default Audio Program to Interpolate Sounds?

Hi All,

I have very little knowledge of audio programs. I am doing a project
requiring
two or more recorded conversations (.wav) to be mixed together with
different amount of contributions(interpolation) from each source.

Suppose you have a picture on the computer screen with 10 different
points in 2-D, each point represents the location of a distinct
conversation. Is it even possible (computational speed) to have the
sounds interpolated and played out in almost real-time as you move the
mouse. The closer the mouse is to a point, the more dominant that
conversation at that point is. If you move the mouse to the middle(far
from) of all points, you should here a whole bunch of garble. It seems
that as you move the mouse, the interpolation has to bee done very
fast.

Can you recommend me a fast program to do that? If not, there's got to
be a program that mixes several sources?
I might not be making anysense. Any help?

Thanks,

Khoi
Arny Krueger

"khoi" wrote in message
om...
Hi All,

I have very little knowledge of audio programs. I am doing a project

requiring
two or more recorded conversations (.wav) to be mixed together with
different amount of contributions(interpolation) from each source.

AFAIK, if you want intelligable results, the words from each source would
have to either be in chorus or interleaved on a word-by-word,
phrase-by-phrase, or sentence-by-sentence basis.

Which is it?

Scott Rolston

Can you recommend me a fast program to do that? If not, there's got to
be a program that mixes several sources?
I might not be making anysense. Any help?

Thanks,

Khoi

Sounds like something Flash would work for, on a local machine at least.
Don't know how it would hold up on the web though, if that is what you are
thinking.

Mark T. Wieczorek

(Peter B.) wrote in
om:

I have very little knowledge of audio programs. I am doing a project
requiring
two or more recorded conversations (.wav) to be mixed together with
different amount of contributions(interpolation) from each source.

Huh? This sounds like mixing.

Regards,
Mark

It is mixing. What I think he is looking for is a program that would
let him represent each input channel as a dot on a computer screen.
The dots can be freely moved around on the screen to mimic the layout
of the actual sound sources in a room. As a mouse pointer is brought
directly over a dot the input associated with that dot(recorded with
an omni microphone) is at maximum output level. As one distances the
mouse pointer from the dot, the output level for that associated input
is reduced. Now do this for all ten dots at once. What would be needed
is a ten input mixer with each of the input channel faders
continuously conrolled by the straight-line vector quantity between
each dot on the screen and the mouse pointer.

This would all be done in mono. If you want stereo you will have to
define a fixed perspective first (one of the six sides of the room
will the listener's head be facing in the room for example. The 'head'
would be the mouse pointer). I'm sure head position could even be made
continuously variable by a secondary controller.

Peter, I agree that the interface he expects is a little strange, though
probably something some people who are more visual than auditory oriented
would find attractive, but the end result sounds like mixing, and what he
wants can be done with a traditional mixer, either digital or analog. I
wonder if he also expects the appropriate amounts of delay & reverb to be
added as you move about the room.

Regards,
Mark

--
http://www.marktaw.com/

http://www.prosoundreview.com/
User reviews of pro audio gear
khoi

Hi All,

Thank you for your advice, I will try those programs to see if it works.
It seems like simple mixing.

Thanks Again,

Khoi