Scott Dorsey

Default Bass getting persistent ring when through A-D

Blacktick wrote:
This is the second method of digitizing our bassist I've tried, and still
there is this cheap-sounding 'ring' (though not really a conventional ring).

This was a straight-to-2-track on a Sony TCD-D8 (portable) DAT machine. The
rest of the mix is immaculate on playback.

The last time we had almost the same problem trying to digitize a track from
a VS-880 into a factory installed computer sound card. The ring was
probably worse then. it's like a high-frequency reverb or something.

Yup. Crappy converters are like this. Sorry about that. The TCD-D8 is
not exactly known for the cleanest sounding top end.

You might try pulling your levels way back.
Mike Tulley

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 16:48:47 -0400, "Blacktick"
wrote:

This is the second method of digitizing our bassist I've tried, and still
there is this cheap-sounding 'ring' (though not really a conventional ring).

This was a straight-to-2-track on a Sony TCD-D8 (portable) DAT machine. The
rest of the mix is immaculate on playback.

The last time we had almost the same problem trying to digitize a track from
a VS-880 into a factory installed computer sound card. The ring was
probably worse then. it's like a high-frequency reverb or something.

I had something like this happen on two channels of an Alesis HD24; on
every tom or conga hit, (probably any loud low note) there would be a
persistent ringing at about 13KHz. I sent it in for warranty service,
Alesis replaced the A/D converters, the problem is fixed.

Mike T.