Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default The Ultimate Affirmative Action

The Ultimate Affirmative Action

Posted by Bob on July 28, 2009 at 4:22 pm

"I have playing with the fact that America elected its first Catholic president in 1960, but it has no elected one since. The second point is the odd one. Even before the Hispanic invasion, Catholics were over a fourth of the American population.

And in 1960 the old stereotype completely escaped the facts. Despite
all the talk about the “privileged WASPs, per capita Catholic income
was higher than per capita Protestant income. Even “working class”
Irish, once called shanty Irish, the people I worked with in Boston
and Chicago, had union jobs in industry that paid wages that were the
envy of many a WASP manager.

So here we had a quarter of the voting population, solidly middle and
upper income and we have not had another Catholic president since
1963.
And I am the only one who seems to wonder about it. I haven’t hear any
born and bred Catholics even bring it up.

It was THE issue among Catholics in 1960. I believe that even then-
affluent Upper Darby, PA, “Ninety per cent Catholic and ninety percent
Republican,” went for Kennedy. But since then the question has not
come up.

But the Kennedy experience is altogether different from the Obama
experience. Catholics needed get over the 1928 Al Smith experience and
prove a Catholic could be president. To sum it up, Catholics wanted to
make a point, but didn’t feel inferior.

Blacks will always feel inferior, even with a black president, a black
pope, and world full of blacks kings. Catholics never asked for
affirmative action. Blacks want it forever."

http://www.whitakeronline.org/blog/2...mative-action/