Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default Evangelicals: Evaluating the Work of Kevin MacDonald

Evangelicals: Evaluating the Work of Kevin MacDonald

Jack Spence

July 22, 2009

"These Jews were more open–minded than those in Thessalonica, for they eagerly received the message, examining the scriptures carefully every day to see if these things were so. Acts 17:11, NET

Scripture praises the Berean Jews for not only accepting the message
of Paul, but also lauds them for their diligent evaluation of his
arguments. The Bereans did not simply dismiss Paul’s contentions out
of hand; they tested them against their own preconceived notions and
against their scriptures. After a good deal of study they found the
evidence convincing (e.g., fulfilled prophecies).

Likewise, Evangelical Christians should not blithely dismiss Kevin
MacDonald's ideas. They should give him a fair hearing and rigorously
examine his arguments. Why? Because MacDonald might be on to
something that is terribly important to their survival and success.

Evangelicals have, as almost every White Christian in our society has,
the very real difficulty of distancing themselves from the cultural
milieu that surrounds them and is interminably reminding them of their
guilt as Whites, Americans, and Christians.

Add to this milieu of cultural suicide the Evangelicals’ zealous
desire to reach the unsaved by being “all things to all men,” a pinch
of too little concern about this earth and their place in it, and a
dash of strongly held beliefs about end times and supporting Israel no
matter what Israel does, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I recently talked to an Evangelical pastor about the effect that the
flood of immigrants is having on ‘our’ country (he is White). He
became immediately defensive and agitated. He took umbrage at me for
using the language of groups (i.e., ‘us,’ and ‘them’). How could he
be an effective witness for Christ if he saw himself in the White
group, and the Mexican in the Mexican group?

Interestingly, he had no problem with holding to in-group/out-group
language concerning religious groups. When I made the same comment
about the many Muslims coming to this country and the potential future
problem that presents, he agreed. It was as if the Media were guiding
his thoughts. Muslims have not quite gained victim status yet, so it
is okay to consider them an out-group. I imagine he would have gone
apoplectic if I had mentioned the Jews.

And yet, many Evangelicals do accept the negative portrayal of Jews in
the Old and New Testaments, at least in the abstract. And this,
eventually, will put them in jail. The State will declare their
scriptures to be anti-Semitic, and therefore unlawful to posses or to
read. But by then, it will be too late.

This is where Kevin MacDonald steps in. He explains what is going
on. He gives cogent reasons about what has happened, why it happened,
and what is happening now. His work could be of great use to
Evangelicals who wonder why they are so maligned and why they cannot
get traction within the media.

Indeed, as Pat Buchanan recently pointed out (Why No Evangelical
Justice?), Evangelical Christians are "the most underrepresented
group of Americans — nay, the most unrepresented minority, the largest
group of our fellow citizens never to have had one of its own sit on
the U.S. Supreme Court in the modern era."

It is interesting to hear Evangelicals talk. They witness the
destruction of their country. They realize the culture is evil. They
realize that they have been unfairly demonized. They do not want, at
least implicitly, to be dominated by another ethnic group, and yet
they see no connections. It is as if all this negative, anti-
Christian, anti-American stuff just sort of happened, without any
rhyme or reason. A few might blame it on Satan (and I am not denying
it), but this kind of destruction of civilization does not happen by
accident. MacDonald hits this point home. Another salutary effect of
MacDonald is that it is much easier to fight something when you know
what is going on, than if you do not.

Evolution, Evangelicals, and Kevin MacDonald

Another hurdle for some Evangelicals is that evolution is the bedrock
for MacDonald’s analysis. Since the Bible is an Evangelical’s
ultimate authority, and since Evangelicals believe that the Bible does
not support evolution (e.g., Genesis), they must reject evolution as
contra scripture.

Does this mean that Evangelicals cannot support Kevin MacDonald’s
work? I think not. In fact, I believe that they can embrace the
thrust of his contentions. Evangelicals need not abandon their belief
that God is the creator of all things in order to embrace the idea
that mankind has broken up into many different, often hostile and
competing groups.

Indeed, Evangelicals often make a distinction that is helpful here.
It is between microevolution and macroevolution. Macroevolution,
according to them, is the belief that one 'kind' (think along the line
of 'species.') can gradually turn into another 'kind' through genetic
mutations. This, they reject. For example, fish do not become men.
Microevolution, on the other hand, allows Evangelicals to explain how
the same 'kind' can change over time, but not fundamentally.

Evangelicals use microevolution in order to explain how the immense
diversity of peoples that are in the world sprang from only one,
founding couple, Adam and Eve.

Consequently, Evangelicals should have no problem in seeing Adam and
Eve’s offspring as being affected by natural selection, group
competition, and the conscious selection of traits in mates. Indeed,
much of the evolution that Kevin MacDonald talks about naturally falls
under the rubric of ‘microevolution,’ and does not seem to be against
scripture.

In conclusion, Evangelical Christians would do well to follow the
Berean example and treat Kevin MacDonald’s work evenhandedly. Examine
it carefully and see if there is not a message for you. "

Jack Spence (email him) is a family man, Westerner (with Southern
sympathies!), and Protestant.

Permanent link: http://www.theoccidentalobserver.net...ngelicals.html