Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default J Gordon Holt?

Sommerwerck over in rmcr says Holt died Sunday. Can anyone confirm?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
hophead hophead is offline

In article , smcelroy2
@POPaustin.rr.com says...

Sommerwerck over in rmcr says Holt died Sunday. Can anyone confirm?

So far, nothing official. But I am seeing reports on a number of sites.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Soundhaspriority said:

I wonder if any of his appearances were taped?

You should ask Krooger that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] stereoeditor@earthlink.net is offline

On Jul 20, 11:59*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
Sommerwerck over in rmcr says Holt died Sunday. Can anyone confirm?

Gordon died on July 20: http://www.stereophile.com/news/j_gordon_holt/

We have gathered all of his writings that are available
on-line in one place: http://www.stereophile.com/j_gordon_holt/

We will have an appreciation in the October issue of
Stereophile, which goes to press net week.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
wrote:

On Jul 20, 11:59*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
Sommerwerck over in rmcr says Holt died Sunday. Can anyone confirm?

Gordon died on July 20:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/j_gordon_holt/

We have gathered all of his writings that are available
on-line in one place: http://www.stereophile.com/j_gordon_holt/

We will have an appreciation in the October issue of
Stereophile, which goes to press net week.

Thanks for the links and the confirmation.

Stephen

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

JA wrote:

We will have an appreciation in the October issue

Lest we all get too misty-eyed, let me sum it up in one sentence:

J. Gordon Holt had the sensibility and integrity to abandon the magazine he
founded and seek refuge at The Absolute Sound rather than stick around and watch
Stereophile sell its soul at the altar of corporate greed.

Garage mechanic Larrry Archibald ran it into a ditch and left the wreckage in
the hands of JA.

A yearly subscription priced nearly the same as a single issue at the newsstand
marks a cheapened product.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jul 26, 7:08*pm, "GeoSynch" wrote:
J. Gordon Holt had the sensibility and integrity to abandon the magazine he
founded and seek refuge at The Absolute Sound rather than stick around and watch
Stereophile sell its soul at the altar of corporate greed.

No. Gordon resigned as a fulltime employee of Stereophile in
August 1999 because he wanted the magazine to abandon
coverage of 2-channel audio and recordings in favor of
multichannel audio and home theater. He was frustrated by
what he saw as my failure to lead the industry in this matter.
He was also frustrated by my not wanting the magazine to
open up its review pages to pro audio components.

I had wanted Gordon to contribute a column on multichannel
to Stereophile, which he rejected as being equivalent to
marginalizing the subject. After his resignation Gordon
contributed such a column to The Absolute Sound, but it
appeared irregularly and Gordon was subsequently either
fired or resigned from TAS, depending on whom you ask.
The Stereophile column on multichannel eventually appeared,
written by Kalman Rubinson and has been published every 2
months since.

10 years later, I still feel that had Stereophile morphed into
an exclusive multichannel publication, as Gordon had
wanted, it would no longer exist.

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On Jul 27, 4:35*pm, ScottW2 wrote:
On Jul 27, 7:08*am, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

wrote in message

It pains me to say it, but this industry is dying of its own self-inflicted
wounds. *Avoidance of multi-channel for music is just one among many.

*I'd be interested in your list of self-inflicted wounds.
Where do you rank BS audio reviews and rags that cater to hi-dollar
equipment with little or no performance benefit? * IMO, many
"audiophiles" tire of playing in the minefields of ever higher dollar
equipment of ever lower performance differential.

ScottW

That is generally what happens in the high end of any endeavor,
diminishing returns
for each dollar s[emt/
But there are enough people with money who will pay
the exhorbitant prices for something just a little bit more perfect.
We shouldn't be so sour about not having that kind of money.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

wrote in message

It pains me to say it, but this industry is dying of its own
self-inflicted
wounds. Avoidance of multi-channel for music is just one among many.

I'd be interested in your list of self-inflicted wounds.
Where do you rank BS audio reviews and rags that cater to hi-dollar
equipment with little or no performance benefit? IMO, many
"audiophiles" tire of playing in the minefields of ever higher dollar
equipment of ever lower performance differential.

ScottW
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Let's put it this way: I think the English mags have done a much better job
of focusing on affordable high-end, and promoting it to the masses. They
don't ignore the very expensive stuff completely, but it is maybe 1/4 of
their effort.

But there are additional factors:

* The lack of any industry consortium to promote audio
* The lack of any attempt to interest those not already aware...eg.
traveling road shows to colleges, demo rooms a la AR in the '60's
* ****poor trade policies re audio retailers that have slowly driven the
specialty dealer out of business or turned them into A/V dealers, and
hindered their use of the web as a selling tool.

And yes, there is too much bull**** and not enough honesty in the industry
and that has not helped. But this marketing dishonesty is not just a
problem in the audio industry, our entire culture of consumerism has been
despoiled by unethical and dishonest marketing (not to speak of our
political system).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote in message

It pains me to say it, but this industry is dying of its own self-inflicted
wounds. *Avoidance of multi-channel for music is just one among many.

*I'd be interested in your list of self-inflicted wounds.
Where do you rank BS audio reviews and rags that cater to hi-dollar
equipment with little or no performance benefit? * IMO, many
"audiophiles" tire of playing in the minefields of ever higher dollar
equipment of ever lower performance differential.

ScottW

That is generally what happens in the high *end of any endeavor,
diminishing returns
for each dollar s[emt/

*High-end is taking this concept to new heights. Zero or even negative
returns.

But there are enough people with money who will pay
the exhorbitant prices for something just a little bit more perfect.

*If that were true, then the industry wouldn't be dying, now would it?

Have you listened to the **** young adults listen through, oh,
yes, you have!

The customer base is getting old, but ultra high end is still
marching on. IF they have the money, let'them flaunt it. My idea of
good financial
planning is figuring out how to spend your last dollaqr on the day you
die.

We shouldn't be so sour about not having that kind of money.

*Don't play "we" games with me you poor old fixed incomer taken by the
eastern euro beauty for all your wordly audio goods.

there goes my Sanyo cd boombox
How is your garden doing

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On Jul 27, 11:18*pm, ScottW2 wrote:

* To a slow death by Obamacare.

Actually, Obamacare could cause a considerable number of quick
(or "at least" quicker deaths). It is very
bad news for the elderly.

IF they have the money, let'them flaunt it.

You really don't pay attention. My problem isn't with
people paying to much, its with the industry offering too little
or nothing at all for more.

That market is not designed for you and me.
You are the world's first and only consumer advocate
wholly consumed with "protecting" the rights
of unfortunate rich people being downtrodden
and cheated by greedy capitalists!

*My idea of
good financial
planning is figuring out how to spend your last dollaqr on the day you
die.

*A bullet is still under a dollar. *Having just watched a family
member spend
her last year immobilized by stroke and a tube in her stomach die
sedated by morphine while the respirator was powered down, I'm
not sure a bullet isn't a bad idea. *Just don't wait till you can't
pull
your own trigger. *Anyway, a little legacy for those left behind isn't
a bad thing if you choose.

Thanks, when I'm ready to go I'll just swallow the bullet
and choke to death. Why waste money on`a gun?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

* To a slow death by Obamacare.

Actually, Obamacare could

Do you idiots realize that the health care legislation in the pipeline is the
work of Congress, not the President?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Witless dispenses with Sacky the pretender idiot.

Do you idiots realize that the health care legislation in the pipeline is the
work of Congress, not the President?

Really? So what are all those campaign speeches and townhall
meetings of Obama about?

I forget your pups' ages, Witless, but if either of them is over ten years
old, you should ask him or her that question.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Is it Reading Miscomprehension Disorder or Reading Uncomprehension Disorder?
Hmmm... Without some verified measurements from the Yap-o-Meter, we may never
know.

Witless dispenses with Sacky the pretender idiot.

Do you idiots realize that the health care legislation in the pipeline is the
work of Congress, not the President?

*Really? *So what are all those campaign speeches and townhall
meetings of Obama about?

I forget your pups' ages, Witless, but if either of them is over ten years
old, you should ask him or her that question.

Nice advise[sic],[sic] anyone over 10 years old is smarter than you are.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Well yapped!

When Stephen returns, I'm hoping he'll have a tidy name for this variant of
the Scottie Game.

--

"It is you who are completely unaware of what I perceive until
I choose to tell you. I rarely do."

" If you''re that interested in what I believe I'll tell you."
-- Scottie Witlessmongrel, RAO, May 14 2009
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jul 28, 3:56*pm, George M. Middius
wrote:
Is it Reading Miscomprehension Disorder or Reading Uncomprehension Disorder?
Hmmm... Without some verified measurements from the Yap-o-Meter, we may never
know.

Witless dispenses with Sacky the pretender idiot.

*Nice advise[sic],[sic] anyone over 10 years old is smarter than you are.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Well yapped!

When Stephen returns, I'm hoping he'll have a tidy name for this variant of
the Scottie Game.

I liked it better when 2pid was Galt.

He couldn't resist coming back when I did. LoL.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On Jul 28, 1:17*pm, ScottW2 wrote:

LoL. *My gripe is that the oft touted better sound from the likes
of S'puke never comes through. * I'd love it if their recomendations
actually deliver. *But aside from speakers, the rest of their
recomendations
and claims of superior sound are subjective BS IMO.

ScottW

Your opinion is subjective BS!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
George M. Middius wrote:

When Stephen returns, I'm hoping he'll have a tidy name for this variant of
the Scottie Game.

He's like a masterful jazz musician, pouring forth innovative riffs
inspired by the plainest of tunes.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

MiNe 109 said:

When Stephen returns, I'm hoping he'll have a tidy name for this variant of
the Scottie Game.

He's like a masterful jazz musician, pouring forth innovative riffs
inspired by the plainest of tunes.

In my experience, flattery is ineffective when used on morons. YMMV, I guess.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
George M. Middius wrote:

MiNe 109 said:

When Stephen returns, I'm hoping he'll have a tidy name for this variant
of
the Scottie Game.

He's like a masterful jazz musician, pouring forth innovative riffs
inspired by the plainest of tunes.

In my experience, flattery is ineffective when used on morons. YMMV, I guess.

Ditto for sarcasm?

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

MiNe 109 said:

When Stephen returns, I'm hoping he'll have a tidy name for this variant
of
the Scottie Game.

He's like a masterful jazz musician, pouring forth innovative riffs
inspired by the plainest of tunes.

In my experience, flattery is ineffective when used on morons. YMMV, I guess.

Ditto for sarcasm?

Possibly, but for a different reason, I suspect. Do you feel a tugging on your
pant leg?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
George M. Middius wrote:

MiNe 109 said:

When Stephen returns, I'm hoping he'll have a tidy name for this
variant
of
the Scottie Game.

He's like a masterful jazz musician, pouring forth innovative riffs
inspired by the plainest of tunes.

In my experience, flattery is ineffective when used on morons. YMMV, I
guess.

Ditto for sarcasm?

Possibly, but for a different reason, I suspect. Do you feel a tugging on
your
pant leg?

Could be! I was going for the Golden Wingnut Hall of Fame feel, Bush
being like an unappreciated composer writing masterpieces, etc. Obscure,
but I'd quoted it here.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

MiNe 109 said:

When Stephen returns, I'm hoping he'll have a tidy name for this
variant of the Scottie Game.

He's like a masterful jazz musician, pouring forth innovative riffs
inspired by the plainest of tunes.

In my experience, flattery is ineffective when used on morons. YMMV, I guess.

Ditto for sarcasm?

Possibly, but for a different reason, I suspect. Do you feel a tugging on
your pant leg?

Could be! I was going for the Golden Wingnut Hall of Fame feel, Bush
being like an unappreciated composer writing masterpieces, etc. Obscure,
but I'd quoted it here.

Another misunderestimification.