Posted to rec.audio.misc
Orrie

Default Marking places on WAV files

I have a number of WAV files of interviews recorded with an Olympus personal
voice recorder. I would like to be able to mark (index, bookmark) places in
the interviews, so I can find them easily. Ideally, I would also be able to
make clips of those sections, so I can supply colleagues with an audio file
of just he edited goodies, not the entire interview.

The software that came with the voice recorder, enables me to mark places in
a very limited way (only 10 marks per file), but I cannot share the files
with my colleagues who don't have the same software, which is only available
with an Olympus recorder.

Can anyone suggest more readily available software that will do the job for
me? Free would be great. Cheap, pretty good.

Thank you.

Orrie

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H.

"Orrie" writes:
I have a number of WAV files of interviews recorded with an Olympus personal
voice recorder. I would like to be able to mark (index, bookmark) places in
the interviews, so I can find them easily. Ideally, I would also be able to
make clips of those sections, so I can supply colleagues with an audio file
of just he edited goodies, not the entire interview.

The software that came with the voice recorder, enables me to mark places in
a very limited way (only 10 marks per file), but I cannot share the files
with my colleagues who don't have the same software, which is only available
with an Olympus recorder.

Can anyone suggest more readily available software that will do the job for
me? Free would be great. Cheap, pretty good.

Audacity (free) and Goldwave (shareware) allow you to make marks in a
file, and split the wav's into separate tracks at that location. The
output become separate wav files one per track.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Orrie

Boy, that was quick.

Thank you very much.

Orrie
"Todd H." wrote in message
"Orrie" writes:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jeff Findley

"Orrie" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a number of WAV files of interviews recorded with an Olympus
personal
voice recorder. I would like to be able to mark (index, bookmark) places
in
the interviews, so I can find them easily.

CD Wave, shareware, will do this. CD Wave can import and export .cue files,
which some CD Burning software can use for burning Audio CD's. CD Wave can
save selected tracks to WAV or MP3 (using the free LAME MP3 encoder).

Audacity will also do this, but I think CD Wave's UI is far simpler and easy
to use if all you want to do is mark and split WAV's.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)