Bill

Default carless driving in NJ, was I at fault ?

A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

It was a weekend on a two lane residential street (one lane each way).
The lane is so wide that a bus and a car can drive side by side. The
speed
requirement is 35 miles/hr.

I followed a car which stayed close to the left side of the road and I
stayed
close to the right thinking that the drive might left. Suddenly I saw
the car
in front trying to make a right turn without a right turn signal. I
immediately
swerve and tried to stop my car, but my driver side mirror hit her
passenger side mirror. It turned out that she was trying to make a
right turn to her home.

| |
| |
______| |
-- this is her driveway
/||
______
| her car hit my car

She came out from her car and her neighbour came out from her house
screaming
at me that I was not supposed to pass her on the right side which I
was not.
However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. In the police
report, she claimed that she had the right turn signal on. I am quite
sure that she did not, in fact, I do not think
she even had the brake light on. During a conversation with one of
the officers at the scene, he said that how could someone make a turn
into
her driveway without a brake. Later I did an experiement at home and
confirmed that I can turn into my driveway without using a brake if I
stay far left enough.

From what I search from the web, Carless driving in NJ reads

"A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and
circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to
endanger, a
person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving."

Was I truely at fault ? Should I even try to go to court ? What will
happen
if I plea "not guilty" but decide to pay the fine later ? do I still
have to
pay the court fee ? What is the impact of a careless driving ticket ?
I know I have to pay $78 and possibily 2 points and higher insurance.

thanx for the advice.

BW
Marc

(Bill) wrote:

A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

If you get a lawyer and present your case properly in court (and the law is
on your side) you should have no trouble. Here (and everywhere I've read
the law) you *must* start right turns as close as practicable to the right
had edge of the roadway. She obviously didn't do that. If your laws are
the same, you shouldn't have trouble. Also, everywhere I've read the law,
it is perfectly legal to pass on the right if you remain on the roadway and
there is sufficient space if the other car is slowing to prepare for a left
turn. Since she was obviously not preparing for a right turn (by not being
on the right side of the road) and she was obviously slowing (or you
wouldn't have collided), it would be perfectly legal to pass on the right.
You should be able to easily beat this. I expect that she won't show up in
court to testify against you, so there will be almost nothing presented
against you, and you should be able to defend yourself quite easily. Did I
mention that if you want to win, you should hire a lawyer?

That said, you should have not driven like a pansy. Zip past on the right
with authority, or get the hell off her tail. You caused the crash by
following too closely and not expecting the quite common, yet illegal
practice of swinging wide for a turn. Take a defensive driving course, or
better yet, something like a Skip Barber or Bob Bondrant driving school.
Expect the unexpected, predict the unpredictable, and drive like everyone
else on the road is a moron - or you will end up looking the part in court
having to defend yourself.

Marc
For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"
Classic Car Fair

Marc wrote:

(Bill) wrote:

[...]

Drive a old Volvo with big bumpers and shunt smarmy stupid inattentive
slags like her off the road completely. Teach the fat cow a lesson.
Cheers, been there, done that.
Classic Car Fair

Marc wrote:

(Bill) wrote:

[...]

Drive an old Volvo with big bumpers and shunt smarmy stupid inattentive

In nj.general Bill wrote:
A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

It was a weekend on a two lane residential street (one lane each way).
The lane is so wide that a bus and a car can drive side by side. The
speed requirement is 35 miles/hr.

Of course, you should talk with an attorney. It seems to me that the
best you can do is get assigned partial fault since you were probably
traveling in the woman's blind spot and she obviously made an illegal
right turn.

If you can avoid making a claim on your insurance, you should do so.
A four point moving violation (which is what it is in NJ) plus a
claim on your auto insurance will likely put you in the assigned
risk pool for auto insurance and you'll pay out your eyeballs for
a minimum coverage policy.

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
Bill wrote:

However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. In the police
report, she claimed that she had the right turn signal on. I am quite
sure that she did not, in fact, I do not think
she even had the brake light on. During a conversation with one of
the officers at the scene, he said that how could someone make a turn
into
her driveway without a brake. Later I did an experiement at home and
confirmed that I can turn into my driveway without using a brake if I
stay far left enough.

From what I search from the web, Carless driving in NJ reads

"A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and
circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to
endanger, a
person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving."

Was I truely at fault ?

You were probably following too closely. But if she made a sudden
unsignalled right turn across your path, she at least shares the
fault.

Since, without her error, no endangerment of person or property was
present, I'd say you're not guilty of "careless driving". But I am
not a lawyer.
--
Matthew T. Russotto
of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
Matthew Russotto

(Bill) wrote:

It will be hard to prove that she was so far left that she was making an
illegal right turn.

Err, no, it wouldn't. The location of the point of impact should
easily demonstrate that she was much further left than he was.
This is a violation of 39:4-82

"Upon all highways of sufficient width, except upon one-way streets,
the driver of a vehicle shall drive it on the right half of the
roadway. He shall drive a vehicle as closely as possible to the
right-hand edge or curb of the roadway, unless it is impracticable to
travel on that side of the roadway, and except when overtaking and
passing another vehicle subject to the provisions of sections 39:4-84
and 39:4-85 of this Title"

39:4-126 is also relevant, even without the signalling issue.

It will be impossible to prove she didn't signal.

True.

If I were in your position, I'd plead guilty and be done with it.

Why? He might be guilty of following too closely, but not of careless
driving. Just because the cop couldn't figure out which of two
possibly-valid offenses to charge him with doesn't mean he's guilty of
a third offense -- "careless driving" is not a catch-all offense.

See if you can sit through a defensive driving class so your
insurance doesn't go up.

His insurance goes up anyway, for an accident, more for an at-fault
accident.

You'll probably end up spending less money and time this way than
getting an attorney to fight for you. You're at least partially in the
wrong no matter what.

--
Matthew T. Russotto
of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
a modicum of security is a very expensive vice.
capone

as a driver...yer supposed to expect the un expected...it doesnt matter
how wide the road is....if your driver side mirror hit her passanger
side mirror, then obviusly u were on her side....if u go to court u
will ose...and wil have to pay the court fee as well/////just send in
the ticket and pay the fine..no points

--
capone

Alex Rodriguez

Hard to say, but it sounds like you are both at fault. You for being in
the wrong lane, and the other person for not looking before they turned.
I hope the other person also got a ticket.
------------------
Alex

Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...
(Bill) wrote:
A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

If you get a lawyer and present your case properly in court (and the law is
on your side) you should have no trouble. Here (and everywhere I've read
the law) you *must* start right turns as close as practicable to the right
had edge of the roadway. She obviously didn't do that. If your laws are
the same, you shouldn't have trouble. Also, everywhere I've read the law,
it is perfectly legal to pass on the right if you remain on the roadway and
there is sufficient space if the other car is slowing to prepare for a left
turn. Since she was obviously not preparing for a right turn (by not being
on the right side of the road) and she was obviously slowing (or you
wouldn't have collided), it would be perfectly legal to pass on the right.

I would disagree with this simple because the person did not have a left
turn signal on. If a car slows down and they don't have a signal on, it
is your responsibility to figure out what they are going to do before you
attempt to pass them.

You should be able to easily beat this. I expect that she won't show up in
court to testify against you, so there will be almost nothing presented
against you, and you should be able to defend yourself quite easily. Did I
mention that if you want to win, you should hire a lawyer?

That said, you should have not driven like a pansy. Zip past on the right
with authority, or get the hell off her tail. You caused the crash by
following too closely and not expecting the quite common, yet illegal
practice of swinging wide for a turn.

Why is it illegal to swing wide? Many driveways, especially in crowded
areas, are quite narrow and it is impossible to turn into them unless you
go a bit wide. So for these narrow driveways, the only practicle way to
enter them is by going to the left first and then turning right. Of couse,
you should have your right turn signal on to make sure the drivers behind
you understand what you are doing.

--------------
Alex

Daniel Snooks

Bill wrote
Was I truely at fault ?

Yes. But it is questionable if the charge should be "careless".

There seems to be a lot of back and forth in this thread about whether or
not the other driver was partially at fault. She was not at fault ... even
partially. You can NOT pass someone on the right (within the same lane). It
doesn't matter if they have come to a complete stop, and they have their
left turn signal on, you still must not pass on the right. If there is more
then one lane, then it is ok.
In the scenario you describe, the other driver was still driving on your
side of the road (albeit at the extreme left of the lane) which clearly puts
you at fault for pulling up beside her.

Should I even try to go to court ?

Yes. If you can get the charge reduced it will be worth it.

What will happen if I plea "not guilty" but decide to pay the fine later ?

No idea, I don't live in NJ. Where I am (Toronto) if I plead not guilty and
then pay the fine anyways (within the set time limit) nothing happens.

What is the impact of a careless driving ticket ?

Probably up to the judge ... not sure what the min and max sentences are.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Arby Aspin

You both should have got a ticket.
Always fight tickets if you have the time.

On 6 Oct 2003 22:02:50 -0700, (Bill) wrote:

A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

It was a weekend on a two lane residential street (one lane each way).
The lane is so wide that a bus and a car can drive side by side. The
speed
requirement is 35 miles/hr.

I followed a car which stayed close to the left side of the road and I
stayed
close to the right thinking that the drive might left. Suddenly I saw
the car
in front trying to make a right turn without a right turn signal. I
immediately
swerve and tried to stop my car, but my driver side mirror hit her
passenger side mirror. It turned out that she was trying to make a
right turn to her home.

| |
| |
______| |
-- this is her driveway
/||
______
| her car hit my car

She came out from her car and her neighbour came out from her house
screaming
at me that I was not supposed to pass her on the right side which I
was not.
However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. In the police
report, she claimed that she had the right turn signal on. I am quite
sure that she did not, in fact, I do not think
she even had the brake light on. During a conversation with one of
the officers at the scene, he said that how could someone make a turn
into
her driveway without a brake. Later I did an experiement at home and
confirmed that I can turn into my driveway without using a brake if I
stay far left enough.

From what I search from the web, Carless driving in NJ reads

"A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and
circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to
endanger, a
person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving."

Was I truely at fault ? Should I even try to go to court ? What will
happen
if I plea "not guilty" but decide to pay the fine later ? do I still
have to
pay the court fee ? What is the impact of a careless driving ticket ?
I know I have to pay $78 and possibily 2 points and higher insurance.

thanx for the advice.

BW

For your latest news
http://tabloidland.com
SZ

I think one thing is critical: is the road (for the direction you
were going) supposed to be a two lane road or not (each direction).
If yes, you have a big chance to win. Otherwise, you were probably
not supposed to pass.

From what you described, I think there is something not clear:
you said you were behind her and did not see her turning light,
but when her car hit yours, her right mirror hit your left one.
That means: 1. you were actully passing her, in which case, you
probably won't see the turning light even she had one. (
certainly you were not able to see braking light).
Or, 2. You were behind her but did not stop quick enough.

I think you need sort them out before taking any actions.

SZ

(Bill) wrote in message . com...
A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

It was a weekend on a two lane residential street (one lane each way).
The lane is so wide that a bus and a car can drive side by side. The
speed
requirement is 35 miles/hr.

I followed a car which stayed close to the left side of the road and I
stayed
close to the right thinking that the drive might left. Suddenly I saw
the car
in front trying to make a right turn without a right turn signal. I
immediately
swerve and tried to stop my car, but my driver side mirror hit her
passenger side mirror. It turned out that she was trying to make a
right turn to her home.

| |
| |
______| |
-- this is her driveway
/||
______
| her car hit my car

She came out from her car and her neighbour came out from her house
screaming
at me that I was not supposed to pass her on the right side which I
was not.
However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. In the police
report, she claimed that she had the right turn signal on. I am quite
sure that she did not, in fact, I do not think
she even had the brake light on. During a conversation with one of
the officers at the scene, he said that how could someone make a turn
into
her driveway without a brake. Later I did an experiement at home and
confirmed that I can turn into my driveway without using a brake if I
stay far left enough.

From what I search from the web, Carless driving in NJ reads

"A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and
circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to
endanger, a
person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving."

Was I truely at fault ? Should I even try to go to court ? What will
happen
if I plea "not guilty" but decide to pay the fine later ? do I still
have to
pay the court fee ? What is the impact of a careless driving ticket ?
I know I have to pay $78 and possibily 2 points and higher insurance.

thanx for the advice.

BW

john wardle

My read on this is:

It was a two lane residential road (one each direction) and the driver in
front moved to the left (oncoming) lane. The poster thinking that the other
driver was turning left, attempted to pass on by, but instead, the front
driver was "swinging wide" to make a right turn into the driveway.

And so, the front driver, collided with the poster in the traffic lane
damaging both vehicles.

That's how I read it.

IF, that is the case, the poster did not drive with due care and deserves
the cite. I personally would have cited both IF it could be determined that
the front driver failed to signal.

To the original poster: Pay the cite and learn from it. USe MORE care when
driving. If you need to, take a driving course. The R.A.D. posters could
definatley provide you with the information....

"SZ" wrote in message
om...
I think one thing is critical: is the road (for the direction you
were going) supposed to be a two lane road or not (each direction).
If yes, you have a big chance to win. Otherwise, you were probably
not supposed to pass.

From what you described, I think there is something not clear:
you said you were behind her and did not see her turning light,
but when her car hit yours, her right mirror hit your left one.
That means: 1. you were actully passing her, in which case, you
probably won't see the turning light even she had one. (
certainly you were not able to see braking light).
Or, 2. You were behind her but did not stop quick enough.

I think you need sort them out before taking any actions.

SZ

(Bill) wrote in message

. com...
A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

It was a weekend on a two lane residential street (one lane each way).
The lane is so wide that a bus and a car can drive side by side. The
speed
requirement is 35 miles/hr.

I followed a car which stayed close to the left side of the road and I
stayed
close to the right thinking that the drive might left. Suddenly I saw
the car
in front trying to make a right turn without a right turn signal. I
immediately
swerve and tried to stop my car, but my driver side mirror hit her
passenger side mirror. It turned out that she was trying to make a
right turn to her home.

| |
| |
______| |
-- this is her driveway
/||
______
| her car hit my car

She came out from her car and her neighbour came out from her house
screaming
at me that I was not supposed to pass her on the right side which I
was not.
However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. In the police
report, she claimed that she had the right turn signal on. I am quite
sure that she did not, in fact, I do not think
she even had the brake light on. During a conversation with one of
the officers at the scene, he said that how could someone make a turn
into
her driveway without a brake. Later I did an experiement at home and
confirmed that I can turn into my driveway without using a brake if I
stay far left enough.

From what I search from the web, Carless driving in NJ reads

"A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and
circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to
endanger, a
person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving."

Was I truely at fault ? Should I even try to go to court ? What will
happen
if I plea "not guilty" but decide to pay the fine later ? do I still
have to
pay the court fee ? What is the impact of a careless driving ticket ?
I know I have to pay $78 and possibily 2 points and higher insurance.

thanx for the advice.

BW

Ricardo

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:08:25 -0400, "Daniel Snooks"
wrote:

You can NOT pass someone on the right (within the same lane).

Since when? It's perfectly ok to pass a left turner on the right,
given enough space. One important case where passing on the right is
NOT ok is paradoxically when it's actually legal here! Ouch.

It doesn't matter if they have come to a complete stop, and they
have their left turn signal on, you still must not pass on the right.

Bull**** (assuming there's enough space to undertake, that is).

If there is more then one lane, then it is ok.

Only legally. On limited access highways, it most certainly is NOT
ok (except in a strict legal sense).

In the scenario you describe, the other driver was still driving on your
side of the road (albeit at the extreme left of the lane) which clearly puts
you at fault for pulling up beside her.

It is perfectly ok and legal to pass a left turner on the right. It
is not ok or legal to pass *on the right shoulder*.

--
ricardo, ex-euroslav vancouver bc canada
for liability purposes: I *always* obey the law.
Dave Head

I dunno about reckless driving, but one of the following is true:

You were passing on the right, or thinking of passing on the right in a single
lane WITHOUT WARNING - no horn, lights, etc.

You were driving too close to the other vehicle, one way or the other. Either
you were tailgating, or driving on the side, or back in the blind spot. People
sitting in my blind spot (or trying to, since I don't tolerate it), really tick
me off.

Either way, the accident is your baby. She can take the whole dang lane to do
her turn - as long as she doesn't cross the center line, she's entitled to the
whole darn pavement.

Pay the fine, and next time, don't drive close to people. Drive so there's as
much room as you can make between you and the nearest car. And if you're
thinking of passing on a 2 lane road, do it on the left.

On 6 Oct 2003 22:02:50 -0700, (Bill) wrote:

A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

It was a weekend on a two lane residential street (one lane each way).
The lane is so wide that a bus and a car can drive side by side. The
speed
requirement is 35 miles/hr.

I followed a car which stayed close to the left side of the road and I
stayed
close to the right thinking that the drive might left. Suddenly I saw
the car
in front trying to make a right turn without a right turn signal. I
immediately
swerve and tried to stop my car, but my driver side mirror hit her
passenger side mirror. It turned out that she was trying to make a
right turn to her home.

| |
| |
______| |
-- this is her driveway
/||
______
| her car hit my car

She came out from her car and her neighbour came out from her house
screaming
at me that I was not supposed to pass her on the right side which I
was not.
However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. In the police
report, she claimed that she had the right turn signal on. I am quite
sure that she did not, in fact, I do not think
she even had the brake light on. During a conversation with one of
the officers at the scene, he said that how could someone make a turn
into
her driveway without a brake. Later I did an experiement at home and
confirmed that I can turn into my driveway without using a brake if I
stay far left enough.

From what I search from the web, Carless driving in NJ reads

"A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and
circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to
endanger, a
person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving."

Was I truely at fault ? Should I even try to go to court ? What will
happen
if I plea "not guilty" but decide to pay the fine later ? do I still
have to
pay the court fee ? What is the impact of a careless driving ticket ?
I know I have to pay $78 and possibily 2 points and higher insurance.

thanx for the advice.

BW

Marc

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article , says...
(Bill) wrote:

[...]

According to the one-sided account, they did not have a right turn signal
on, either. Thus, the person in front failed to properly signal the turn.

You should be able to easily beat this. I expect that she won't show up in
court to testify against you, so there will be almost nothing presented
against you, and you should be able to defend yourself quite easily. Did I
mention that if you want to win, you should hire a lawyer?

That said, you should have not driven like a pansy. Zip past on the right
with authority, or get the hell off her tail. You caused the crash by
following too closely and not expecting the quite common, yet illegal
practice of swinging wide for a turn.

Why is it illegal to swing wide?

Because the laws say so.

In Anchorage:
9.22.010 Required position and method of turning at intersection.
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn at an intersection shall do as
follows:
A. Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn
shall be made as close as practicable to the righthand curb or edge of the
roadway.

In TX:
545.101. Turning at Intersection
(a) To make a right turn at an intersection, an operator shall make both
the approach and the turn as closely as practicable to the right-hand curb
or edge of the roadway.

Though I think your real question is "why would someone pass such a law."
To which I would answer:

Because it causes crashes like the one above.

Many driveways, especially in crowded
areas, are quite narrow and it is impossible to turn into them unless you
go a bit wide. So for these narrow driveways, the only practicle way to
enter them is by going to the left first and then turning right. Of couse,
you should have your right turn signal on to make sure the drivers behind
you understand what you are doing.

And I would add in that if you are making such an illegal and unsafe turn,
then you should take care to ensure that there is no one attempting to pass
you as you turn.

Marc
For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"
Marc

"Daniel Snooks" wrote:
Bill wrote
Was I truely at fault ?

Yes. But it is questionable if the charge should be "careless".

There seems to be a lot of back and forth in this thread about whether or
not the other driver was partially at fault. She was not at fault ... even
partially.

She committed at least one violation, possibly more. The worst violation
does not get 100% of the fault.

You can NOT pass someone on the right (within the same lane). It
doesn't matter if they have come to a complete stop, and they have their
left turn signal on, you still must not pass on the right. If there is more
then one lane, then it is ok.

Nope. You can't leave the road to pass on the right, though.

39:4-85 The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle upon
the right as provided in this section only under conditions permitting
such movement in safety. In no event shall such movement be made by
driving off the pavement or main-traveled portion of the roadway.

In the scenario you describe, the other driver was still driving on your
side of the road (albeit at the extreme left of the lane) which clearly puts
you at fault for pulling up beside her.

What does the "side of the road" have to do with the fact she was not a
close as practicable to the right hand side for her right turn (and thus
violating the law)?

Should I even try to go to court ?

Yes. If you can get the charge reduced it will be worth it.

Why should he fight an obviously incorrect charge only to ask for a lesser
charge? He should be glad they mischarged him with something he didn't do,
so he can get out of it completely, not plea to something else.

Marc
For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Alex Rodriguez

In article ,
says...

Why is it illegal to swing wide?

Because the laws say so.

In Anchorage:
9.22.010 Required position and method of turning at intersection.
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn at an intersection shall do as
follows:
A. Right turns. Both the approach for a right turn and a right turn
shall be made as close as practicable to the righthand curb or edge of the
roadway.

That's funny I see where is says as close as practicable. If you have a
narrow driveway, it requires that you go wide to make the turn into the
driveway. So going wide is legal.

In TX:
545.101. Turning at Intersection
(a) To make a right turn at an intersection, an operator shall make both
the approach and the turn as closely as practicable to the right-hand curb
or edge of the roadway.

Though I think your real question is "why would someone pass such a law."
To which I would answer:

No, I know there is a good reason for the law.

Because it causes crashes like the one above.

Doesn't matter what the law says when you have a bad driver behind the
wheel. In this instance you have two poor drivers, assuming the OP's
description is accurate. The first driver turns into a driveway without
signalling and the other driver tries to pass the first on the right.
Either one is probably not a big deal, but when the two occur at the same
place and time, you get an accident.

Many driveways, especially in crowded
areas, are quite narrow and it is impossible to turn into them unless you
go a bit wide. So for these narrow driveways, the only practicle way to
enter them is by going to the left first and then turning right. Of couse,
you should have your right turn signal on to make sure the drivers behind
you understand what you are doing.

And I would add in that if you are making such an illegal and unsafe turn,
then you should take care to ensure that there is no one attempting to pass
you as you turn.

I agree you have to be carefull when you make such a turn, but it is neither
illegal nor unsafe to do when you look before you turn.

Ginny

In article , bill12317
@lycos.com says...
However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. I

This is why you got the ticket. From your skid marks it appeared as
though you were driving too fast for 35 MPH; I don't buy the simple
"following too close" argument; you were going too fast for the speed
that you were actually doing. You mentioned that she was turning into
her driveway. This means that you were on a residential street; you
should have been farther back, in the center of the lane, and obeying
the speed limit. You mentioned that you did not see a turn signal yet
you were anticipating her turning LEFT based on her location within the
lane.

Why? Why did you think that, especially when you saw NO turn signal?

At any rate when you are on a road that is one lane in each direction,
you need to stay directly behind the car in front of you. If that car is
doing the posted speed limit on that two lane road, you should just back
off and enjoy the scenery, you're going to be on that road for a while.

I live off of a street in NJ where the posted speed limit is 40 MPH,
every other condition is the same as you described. A car too far to
the right (appearing as though he was trying to pass a car on the right
that was turning left) actually hit my 10 year old daughter while she
was riding her bicycle, *on the sidewalk.*

Miraculously, she was unhurt but her bike got bent up. Her helmet broke,
but SHE did not.

My aunt did not fare as well. In 1997, while a pedestrian on a
residential street, she was struck and killed by a motorist doing what
you described above in New York State.

I have just given you two very good reasons, from one family, as to why
you should not follow too closely, go too fast nor drive too close to
the right on a residential street.

I hope that either one of those reasons help you understand why you were
ticketed.

Ginny

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
Ginny wrote:

This is why you got the ticket. From your skid marks it appeared as
though you were driving too fast for 35 MPH; I don't buy the simple
"following too close" argument; you were going too fast for the speed
that you were actually doing. You mentioned that she was turning into
her driveway. This means that you were on a residential street; you
should have been farther back, in the center of the lane, and obeying
the speed limit.

New Jersey law indicates you should be in the RIGHT of the road, not
the center. It also apparently doesn't prohibit passing on the right
within the lane, in which case the rear driver is quite possibly not
at all at fault.

You mentioned that you did not see a turn signal yet
you were anticipating her turning LEFT based on her location within the
lane.

Why? Why did you think that, especially when you saw NO turn signal?

Err, because a common reason people move to the left of the lane is to
make a left turn.

I live off of a street in NJ where the posted speed limit is 40 MPH,
every other condition is the same as you described. A car too far to
the right (appearing as though he was trying to pass a car on the right
that was turning left) actually hit my 10 year old daughter while she
was riding her bicycle, *on the sidewalk.*

If you're going to make **** up, try to make it up so it's actually
believable.
--
Matthew T. Russotto
of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
a modicum of security is a very expensive vice.
Ginny

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Ginny wrote:

New Jersey law indicates you should be in the RIGHT of the road, not
the center. It also apparently doesn't prohibit passing on the right
within the lane, in which case the rear driver is quite possibly not
at all at fault.

If he was in the CENTER of his *lane* (notice I said LANE not ROAD), he
would have been travelling in the right side of a two lane road.
Further, had he not been following too closely he would have been able
to know FOR SURE if there were any turn signals at all in use. Instead,
Our Hero followed too closely and made assumptions that turned out to be
INCORRECT.

You mentioned that you did not see a turn signal yet
you were anticipating her turning LEFT based on her location within the
lane.

Why? Why did you think that, especially when you saw NO turn signal?

Err, because a common reason people move to the left of the lane is to
make a left turn.

....or if they were swinging wide to enter a narrow driveway on the right
with a larger vehicle, such as a minivan or SUV.

You need to turn wider if you have a larger auto and it has to do the
the length and width of your automobile, not whether the guy behind you
thinks you're turning left because he's in too much of a ****ing hurry
to notice turn signals.

What kind of vehicle did the original poster say the woman had? he
didn't. Hell, he didn't even say if he could tell, FOR SURE, if she had
her signal on.

I live off of a street in NJ where the posted speed limit is 40 MPH,
every other condition is the same as you described. A car too far to
the right (appearing as though he was trying to pass a car on the right
that was turning left) actually hit my 10 year old daughter while she
was riding her bicycle, *on the sidewalk.*

If you're going to make **** up, try to make it up so it's actually
believable.

The smashed helmet and bent tire on the bike can be seen at
http://www.ginnysanchez.com/pix/bike.JPG . She was bumped by a car that
popped up onto the SIDEWALK because he went too far to the right in an
effort to pass a car turning left. Because he popped up the curb he was
going slow enough that he bumped her forward & pushed my child off her
bike to the right of the car, landing on the grass where she broke the
back of her helmet.

If you are an attorney, feel free to e-mail me and I will give you
further details since the asshole hit her on a sidewalk at slow speed to
pass a car making a left turn and then drove away after a neighbor
picked her up off the ground and said "she looks fine, it's OK you can
go" and the driver did--without providing any information on his
identity, assuming that the neighbor who was out mowing his lawn was the
parent of my child. I spent $700 in emergency room fees and a new bike
and helmet and no one to get the money back from--what am I going to do,
sue my neighbor for being a dumbass?

....or should I assume you're the same stripe of dumbass as my neighbor?

Would you also like the city, state, date and name of my deceased aunt
as well or are you just a know-nothing asshole with regards to children
riding their bikes on sidewalks?

IMWTK, and all that.

Ginny
Gary Rodgers

wrote in message ...
| In nj.general 127.0.0.0 wrote:
| On 6 Oct 2003 22:02:50 -0700, (Bill) wrote:
|
| A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
| whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

Yes, he was at fault. In NJ it is illegal to pass on the right on a 2-lane
road. Period. (I'm not saying it isn't done...I'm saying it's illegal -
and you're ALWAYS at fault if you have an accident when doing so).

| don't bother fighting it, there are no points involved, just pay the
| fine thank the cop for not writing you for something else and move on

There *are* points involved in NJ.

| Are you nuts? In NJ, a ticket for careless driving carries four
| points if I am not mistaken.

39:4-97 - careless driving - 2 points (from NJ MVC website)

Most auto insurance companies in NJ
| will deny coverage to anyone with six points. An at fault accident
| that has been paid out through insurance, plus a 4 point violation,
| plus anything else that the OP might have on his record will surely
| result in his being placed in the assigned risk pool which means
| he won't find coverage for auto insurance for less than $4,000 at
| best. And the points remain on the record for insurance rating
| purposes for five years (even after they fall off the official
| DMV record), plus there's a state surcharge that's charged annually
| to any NJ driver who has excessive points on his or her record.
| What's worse is that taking a defensive driving course will not
| reduce these points for insurance or surcharge purposes.

Although the concept is correct, the details aren't quite...

All the information you care to read about the tier insurance program can be
found he

http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/tierbk01.pdf

and he

http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/acrobat/autoguide02.pdf

Gary

Gary Rodgers

"Ricardo" wrote in message
| On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:08:25 -0400, "Daniel Snooks"
| wrote:
|
| You can NOT pass someone on the right (within the same lane).
|
| Since when? It's perfectly ok to pass a left turner on the right,
| given enough space. One important case where passing on the right is
| NOT ok is paradoxically when it's actually legal here! Ouch.

Umm sorry, but in NJ it is categorically illegal to pass on the right

39:4-85 Improper passing on right or off roadway

Not Bull****

| If there is more then one lane, then it is ok.
| Only legally. On limited access highways, it most certainly is NOT
| ok (except in a strict legal sense).
|

| In the scenario you describe, the other driver was still driving on your
| side of the road (albeit at the extreme left of the lane) which clearly
puts
| you at fault for pulling up beside her.
|
| It is perfectly ok and legal to pass a left turner on the right. It
| is not ok or legal to pass *on the right shoulder*.

I hope you don't live near me and have a NJ driver's license.

Gary

Matthew Russotto

In article . net,
Gary Rodgers wrote:

"Ricardo" wrote in message
| On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:08:25 -0400, "Daniel Snooks"
| wrote:
|
| You can NOT pass someone on the right (within the same lane).
|
| Since when? It's perfectly ok to pass a left turner on the right,
| given enough space. One important case where passing on the right is
| NOT ok is paradoxically when it's actually legal here! Ouch.

Umm sorry, but in NJ it is categorically illegal to pass on the right

39:4-85 Improper passing on right or off roadway

39:4-85. Passing to left when overtaking; passing when in lines;
signalling to pass; passing upon right
--
Matthew T. Russotto
of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of
a modicum of security is a very expensive vice.
Dossy

In article ,
Matthew Russotto wrote:
You were probably following too closely. But if she made a sudden
unsignalled right turn across your path, she at least shares the
fault.

Since, without her error, no endangerment of person or property was
present, I'd say you're not guilty of "careless driving". But I am
not a lawyer.

Strangely, in New Jersey, the operator of a motor vehicle is fully and
100% responsible for the end of the car in the direction of travel, and
must maintain control of the vehicle 100% of the time in order to not be
at fault.

So, the guy who got the "careless driving" ticket first off got off
lucky. The officer on scene could have written several tickets: 39:4-89
Tailgating (5 pts); 39:4-85 Improper passing on right or off roadway (4
pts); 39:4-88 39:4-86 Improper passing, in "No Passing" zone (4 pts).
That's 13 points, or an instant loss of license.

(This all assumes that the road was a two-lane road with double-solid
yellow lines down the center, and that he was indeed following too
closely and was tailgating.)

In the end, the fact that the person who got the careless driving ticket
wasn't able to stop his motor vehicle in time to avoid the accident
means that he was not in control of his vehicle at the time of the
accident, and therefore he is 100% at fault. The action of the other
driver may be reprehensible, but unless otherwise proved illegal, isn't
at fault.

This is why it sucks to drive in New Jersey. People are free to leave
if they can't cope. :-)

(Of course, I'm not a lawyer, but I've dealt with accidents and traffic
enough to know when you are, or are not, at fault, according to the
state of New Jersey.)

-- Dossy

--
Dossy Shiobara mail:
Panoptic Computer Network web:
Ricardo

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:55:10 -0400, Dave Head
wrote:

Pay the fine,

Always fight. :}

and next time, don't drive close to people. Drive so there's as
much room as you can make between you and the nearest car. And if you're
thinking of passing on a 2 lane road, do it on the left.

Uhmmm, when someone's signalling to make a left turn? I've had that
done to me in Europe before and it's extremely dangerous, not to
mention illegal.

--
ricardo, ex-euroslav vancouver bc canada
for liability purposes: I *always* obey the law.
'89 grand am le, garaged; '91 mx6 gt

swatcop

This didn't by chance happen in Margate, did it?

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

It was a weekend on a two lane residential street (one lane each way).
The lane is so wide that a bus and a car can drive side by side. The
speed
requirement is 35 miles/hr.

I followed a car which stayed close to the left side of the road and I
stayed
close to the right thinking that the drive might left. Suddenly I saw
the car
in front trying to make a right turn without a right turn signal. I
immediately
swerve and tried to stop my car, but my driver side mirror hit her
passenger side mirror. It turned out that she was trying to make a
right turn to her home.

| |
| |
______| |
-- this is her driveway
/||
______
| her car hit my car

She came out from her car and her neighbour came out from her house
screaming
at me that I was not supposed to pass her on the right side which I
was not.
However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. In the police
report, she claimed that she had the right turn signal on. I am quite
sure that she did not, in fact, I do not think
she even had the brake light on. During a conversation with one of
the officers at the scene, he said that how could someone make a turn
into
her driveway without a brake. Later I did an experiement at home and
confirmed that I can turn into my driveway without using a brake if I
stay far left enough.

From what I search from the web, Carless driving in NJ reads

"A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and
circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to
endanger, a
person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving."

Was I truely at fault ? Should I even try to go to court ? What will
happen
if I plea "not guilty" but decide to pay the fine later ? do I still
have to
pay the court fee ? What is the impact of a careless driving ticket ?
I know I have to pay $78 and possibily 2 points and higher insurance.

thanx for the advice.

BW

Marc

Alex Rodriguez wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Most (nearly all) driveway/car combinations allow you to turn in at less
than one car width from the curb. Without more information, I must take
this to be the normal case, that she swung wide out of convenience (not
having to slow as much) and not for practicality. From the OP's statements
regarding the speed and lack of use of brakes, it would appear that she was
smoothing out the turn by drifting illegally wide.

Many driveways, especially in crowded
areas, are quite narrow and it is impossible to turn into them unless you
go a bit wide. So for these narrow driveways, the only practicle way to
enter them is by going to the left first and then turning right. Of couse,
you should have your right turn signal on to make sure the drivers behind
you understand what you are doing.

And I would add in that if you are making such an illegal and unsafe turn,
then you should take care to ensure that there is no one attempting to pass
you as you turn.

I agree you have to be carefull when you make such a turn, but it is neither
illegal nor unsafe to do when you look before you turn.

It most certainly illegal to swing wide before, during, or after a right
turn in TX, NJ, and where I am (Anchorage). I've looked it up exactly
three times, and all three make it illegal to swing wider than necessary
before executing a right turn. From my observations of general driving and
the image from the OP's statements, this is exactly the same illegal action
that the person he hit was taking.

Marc
For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"
Ricardo

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:23:15 -0400, Dave Head
wrote:

and next time, don't drive close to people. Drive so there's as
much room as you can make between you and the nearest car. And if you're
thinking of passing on a 2 lane road, do it on the left.

Uhmmm, when someone's signalling to make a left turn?

"Suddenly I saw the car in front trying to make a right turn without a right
turn signal."

I think that means "no turn signal", at least in this case.

Yeah, in that case it was kinda foolhardy on the OP's part to try to
squeeze by on the right, by all accounts.

If someone is signalling left, then yeah, that's an exception, although
I would personally be real careful of such action,

Oh for sure, and such action is not to be contemplated should one be
in any doubt about the nearside clearance available.

as there's lotsa boneheads out there that signal
left and then turn right anyway.

I was one of those... when I was a learner that is! :}

I've had that
done to me in Europe before and it's extremely dangerous, not to
mention illegal.

Yeah. There's boneheads all over the world.

In this particular case the culprit had Belgian tags, the old adage
being that whenever you see those red on white Belgian plates, the
best thing you can do is to get out the way and pray. :}

--
ricardo, ex-euroslav vancouver bc canada
for liability purposes: I *always* obey the law.
'89 grand am le, garaged; '91 mx6 gt
msg. typed using dvorak system so excuse all ytops!
Helmet Head

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 07:06:17 -0400, Ginny
wrote:
I live off of a street in NJ where the posted speed limit is 40 MPH,
every other condition is the same as you described. A car too far to
the right (appearing as though he was trying to pass a car on the right
that was turning left) actually hit my 10 year old daughter while she
was riding her bicycle, *on the sidewalk.*

Miraculously, she was unhurt but her bike got bent up. Her helmet broke,
but SHE did not.

My aunt did not fare as well. In 1997, while a pedestrian on a
residential street, she was struck and killed by a motorist doing what
you described above in New York State.

I have just given you two very good reasons, from one family, as to why
you should not follow too closely, go too fast nor drive too close to
the right on a residential street.

Agree.

Residential driving can be very scary. Once a toddler waddle out
from between two cars, parked along the road, in front of my
van.Thankfully I was going slow enough and swerved, missing
him/her.

---
"Deer aren't the only unpredictable animal on the road."
Marc

Ginny wrote:
In article ,
says...
In article ,
Ginny wrote:

I live off of a street in NJ where the posted speed limit is 40 MPH,
every other condition is the same as you described. A car too far to
the right (appearing as though he was trying to pass a car on the right
that was turning left) actually hit my 10 year old daughter while she
was riding her bicycle, *on the sidewalk.*

If you're going to make **** up, try to make it up so it's actually
believable.

The smashed helmet and bent tire on the bike can be seen at
http://www.ginnysanchez.com/pix/bike.JPG . She was bumped by a car that
popped up onto the SIDEWALK because he went too far to the right in an
effort to pass a car turning left.

So passing on the right and speeding were irrelevant. The offending driver
drove on the sidewalk to strike her. The reason why the person drove onto
the sidewalk is irrelevant, as is the speed, for passing on the right and
speeding did not have anything to do with the driver not being able to make
a simple space/velocity judgement.

Regardless, when it comes to a discussion of a driver that was passing
someone making an illegal right turn, your story is quite irrelevant
(unless they left the road to complete the turn).

Marc
For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"
Ginny

Marc wrote:

Ginny wrote:

The smashed helmet and bent tire on the bike can be seen at
http://www.ginnysanchez.com/pix/bike.JPG . She was bumped by a car that
popped up onto the SIDEWALK because he went too far to the right in an
effort to pass a car turning left.

So passing on the right and speeding were irrelevant.

Re-read the above. He went too far to the right, to pass a car making a left.

If he went too far to the right to pass someone, then he was **passing on the
right** which makes it relevant. If he were NOT passing on the right, he
would not have wound up on the sidewalk.

Ginny

Bill

no.

"swatcop" wrote in message . com...
This didn't by chance happen in Margate, did it?

"Bill" wrote in message
om...
A week ago, I was given a careless driving ticket in NJ. I wonder
whether I was at fault or whether I should fight it in court.

It was a weekend on a two lane residential street (one lane each way).
The lane is so wide that a bus and a car can drive side by side. The
speed
requirement is 35 miles/hr.

I followed a car which stayed close to the left side of the road and I
stayed
close to the right thinking that the drive might left. Suddenly I saw
the car
in front trying to make a right turn without a right turn signal. I
immediately
swerve and tried to stop my car, but my driver side mirror hit her
passenger side mirror. It turned out that she was trying to make a
right turn to her home.

| |
| |
______| |
-- this is her driveway
/||
______
| her car hit my car

She came out from her car and her neighbour came out from her house
screaming
at me that I was not supposed to pass her on the right side which I
was not.
However, when the police came, we could see that there was a skid mark
of more than car'slength, and it was obvious that I was trying to
stop. But the police gave me a carless driving ticket claiming that I
was either driving too fast or following too close. In the police
report, she claimed that she had the right turn signal on. I am quite
sure that she did not, in fact, I do not think
she even had the brake light on. During a conversation with one of
the officers at the scene, he said that how could someone make a turn
into
her driveway without a brake. Later I did an experiement at home and
confirmed that I can turn into my driveway without using a brake if I
stay far left enough.

From what I search from the web, Carless driving in NJ reads

"A person who drives a vehicle carelessly, or without due caution and
circumspection, in a manner so as to endanger, or be likely to
endanger, a
person or property, shall be guilty of careless driving."

Was I truely at fault ? Should I even try to go to court ? What will
happen
if I plea "not guilty" but decide to pay the fine later ? do I still
have to
pay the court fee ? What is the impact of a careless driving ticket ?
I know I have to pay $78 and possibily 2 points and higher insurance.

thanx for the advice.

BW

Matthew Russotto

In article ,
Dossy wrote:
In article ,
Matthew Russotto wrote:
You were probably following too closely. But if she made a sudden
unsignalled right turn across your path, she at least shares the
fault.

Since, without her error, no endangerment of person or property was
present, I'd say you're not guilty of "careless driving". But I am
not a lawyer.

Strangely, in New Jersey, the operator of a motor vehicle is fully and
100% responsible for the end of the car in the direction of travel, and
must maintain control of the vehicle 100% of the time in order to not be
at fault.

So, the guy who got the "careless driving" ticket first off got off
lucky. The officer on scene could have written several tickets: 39:4-89
Tailgating (5 pts);

39:4-89 Following, space between trucks.

Possibly, though the officer admittedly was unable to determine this

39:4-85 Improper passing on right or off roadway (4 pts);

39:4-85. Passing to left when overtaking; passing when in lines;
signalling to pass; passing upon right

Rather unlikely, and impossible to reconcile with a ticket with
39:4-89 -- if he was passing, he wasn't tailgating, and if he was
tailgating, he wasn't passing.

39:4-88 39:4-86 Improper passing, in "No Passing" zone (4 pts).
That's 13 points, or an instant loss of license.

39:4-88 Traffic on marked lanes

Not applicable

39:4-86 Overtaking and passing vehicles; crossing "No Passing" lines
Not applicable (applies to crossing the double-yellow or driving left
of center, neither of which the original poster did; he was on the right)

Since you got all that wrong, I'll assume you don't know what you're
talking about when you talk about fault.