Default MP3 Bitrate for average listener on average equipments

I have an MP3 CD player on my boat. I am trying to figure out what
bitrate to use to maximize the number of songs on a CD. The receiver is
an inexpensive JVC and the speakers are likewise average JVC. I am no
audiophile, but don't want to hear hissing and cracking. What is the
lowest I can go where there will be no discernable difference in sound?
Keep in mind with the boat engine running, even the best
encoding/stereo won't sound great.

Sander

Laurence Payne wrote:

64kbps isn't painful for casual listening in a noisy environment.
Does it have to be stereo?

I disagree.
Even 192kbps can have quite obious artifacts depending on the material.
Even on low end equipment and in noisy environments 128kbps or lower
usually sounds horrible to me although it does depend a lot on the
actual recording you're encoding. Some (but not many) sound somewhat
decent at 128kbps.

Sander
Laurence Payne

On Thu, 26 May 2005 11:56:56 +0200, Sander
wrote:

64kbps isn't painful for casual listening in a noisy environment.
Does it have to be stereo?

I disagree.
Even 192kbps can have quite obious artifacts depending on the material.
Even on low end equipment and in noisy environments 128kbps or lower
usually sounds horrible to me although it does depend a lot on the
actual recording you're encoding. Some (but not many) sound somewhat
decent at 128kbps.

I make bespoke musical backing tracks. I will often post a 64kbps
preview version on my web site so the client can grab an advance copy.
Some say "That's fine! Don't bother to mail the CD."

Some hear the music, some hear the medium. He's not going to throw
away the originals. I guess he'll just have to suck it and see :-)

Dan

wrote:

64kbps isn't painful for casual listening in a noisy environment.
Does it have to be stereo?

I disagree.
Even 192kbps can have quite obious artifacts depending on the material.
Even on low end equipment and in noisy environments 128kbps or lower
usually sounds horrible to me although it does depend a lot on the
actual recording you're encoding. Some (but not many) sound somewhat
decent at 128kbps.

I make bespoke musical backing tracks. I will often post a 64kbps
preview version on my web site so the client can grab an advance copy.
Some say "That's fine! Don't bother to mail the CD."

Some hear the music, some hear the medium. He's not going to throw
away the originals. I guess he'll just have to suck it and see :-)

Why not run some tests with diff bit rates? For noisy env I think MP3
128 is best; its better than FM radio. Then again I encode to ogg now
at quality 6 for portable listening and flac at home.
JohnR66

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an MP3 CD player on my boat. I am trying to figure out what
bitrate to use to maximize the number of songs on a CD. The receiver is
an inexpensive JVC and the speakers are likewise average JVC. I am no
audiophile, but don't want to hear hissing and cracking. What is the
lowest I can go where there will be no discernable difference in sound?
Keep in mind with the boat engine running, even the best
encoding/stereo won't sound great.

I used to think 128kbps was okay, but that swishy sound effect it too
apparent in some songs. I moved up to 160kbps and it sounds nearly clear of
it to me. It is a good compromise. 128kbps can be fine where storage space
is an issue.
John