Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Harry Lavo

Default No surround channels playing Dark Side of Moon SACD

"Tim Roberson" wrote in message
t...
I've just bought my first SACD disc - Dark Side of the Moon
Played it on my Pioneer DVD 656A player, but as far as I can tell, I'm
getting nothing from my rear speakers.
Can anyone tell me if I should be? I understood this was a 5.1 mix.

Here's how it's set up:
The DVD player connects to my surround amp using the 6 analogue

connections,
and I then select the "6-channel analogue" as input on my amp. I run the

DVD
player's test tones, and get sound from all the speakers in turn. So

things
look OK so far.

When set up this way, I tested using both DTS and Dolby Digital DVD discs,
and get sound from all speakers. Again - so far, so good.

Time to try the SACD...
Going through the player's menus, there are 3 options for SACD playback

(CD
/ SACD stereo / SACD surround). SACD surround seems the obvious choice, so

take that setting. I put the Pink Floyd disc in, and I get "SACD"

illuminate
on the player's display panel.....Still looking good.

I now play the disc, but get stereo only. It's the same no matter which

SACD
option I select.
Is this what the disc is supposed to do, or can anyone suggest where I'm
going wrong?

Thanks for any help

Sounds like you are doing the right thing. Is their any indicator light
that should be on when playing SACD surround (according to the manual). If
so, is it on when the disk is playing? This will help isolate whether the
issue is with the tracking versus with the decoding/amplification.