Chris Rossi

Default Swee****er's "Sneaky Deal" is even sneakier than you think!

Hey, I recently got an advertisement in the mail from Swee****er
showing you how you can get the Native Instruments "Komplete 2" bundle
for $700 by buying one instrument for $200 and then buying the upgrade
for $500. It probably is a pretty sweet deal. If you read the copy
of the advertisement the very first words in the copy are "Fender
Rhodes". Cool, I thought. My roommate sold his real Rhodes on ebay,
the Native Instruments plugins I've played with have all sounded
pretty good. This could be a pretty sweet deal. Then I went about
researching what exactly was included in the Komplete 2 bundle to see
if I might be interested in buying in to such a beast. What I found
is that "Elektrik Piano", the plugin that includes the Fender Rhodes
sim, is not included in the bundle.

I did contact my rep at Swee****er via email and he did acknowledge
that indeed the "Komplete 2" bundle does not include the "Elektrik
Piano" plug in that would get you the Fender Rhodes sound. I followed
up with, "Well don't you think the advertisement is misleading?" and
never got a response. I'm giving Swee****er the benefit of the doubt
and assuming that the discrepency is good old fashioned human error
and not a deliberate bait and switch tactic. However, intentional or
not, the effect is essentially that of a misleading bait and switch.
I would have expected Swee****er to at least own up to their
misleading advertising and say, "Mea culpa" but they don't seem
interested in admitting the error. Which isn't really how I like for
places I do business with to be run. The potential for my actually
buying any of the Native Instruments products from Swee****er has been
greatly diminished.

At any rate, if you're thinking of buy this package from Swee****er,
please be aware that the advertising copy is misleading and you will
*not* get the "Elektrik Piano" plug in.

Not angry, just disappointed,

Chris Rossi
http://spacelabstudio.com
WillStG

(Chris Rossi)
[...]

I'm not sure "Electrik Piano" qualifies one to upgrade with the NI
Komplete II Bundle package, I think it has to be one of the Instruments in the
Bundle. You can find Battery for about $165 if you look around hard enough,
but it becomes part of the package and you can't sell it separately or
anything.

Still (until the end of the month) that would be much cheaper at $665 for
the whole package than you can buy the new version II package for outright.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

Adam Cohen

Chris,

Sorry for the mistake - and that, indeed, is exactly what it was - what
you called "good old fashioned human error". Had the mistake been
pointed out to me sooner, I certainly would have done what I'm doing
right now - let you (and others) know that we made a mistake, and as the
Director of Marketing, I'll take full responsibility. I can't speak for
your Sales Engineer regarding why he didn't respond to your question,
but hopefully my doing so now will address your concerns.

I haven't spent much time on rec.audio.pro over the last couple of
years, but I know a number of people who do, and I feel pretty confident
in saying that those who know me will vouch for the fact that bait and
switch is not my style personally, nor Swee****er's style
professionally. Besides, NI has been so successful with the LTO offer,
there'd hardly be a need for any sort of underhanded sales tactics - the
thing really does sell itself, Rhodes or no Rhodes.

Again, let me apologize for the error. It would be a shame if you denied
yourself the deal because of my mistake. In the future, if you see
something in our marketing materials that you think may be an error,
feel free to contact me directly.

Best regards,

Adam Cohen
Sr. Director of Marketing
Swee****er

Chris Rossi wrote:
[...]

Don Cooper

Adam Cohen wrote:

Chris,

Sorry for the mistake

Why not fix his problem, rather that trying to impress this newsgroup?

Don

GKB

Why not " make good" will , and offer him a better deal ?
MacDonalds will apologize to me , that's just words
Back it up [ if you ever want my business ]

regards Greg

Chris Rossi wrote:
[...]

Don Cooper

Mike Rivers wrote:

How do you suggest he do that? By giving away a product that costs
them money? Swee****er's business is to stay in business, and you
don't do that by giving things away. You do that by explaining that
you made a mistake. It happens.

Which he could do privately.

Don

S O'Neill

Don Cooper wrote:

Mike Rivers wrote:

How do you suggest he do that? By giving away a product that costs
them money? Swee****er's business is to stay in business, and you
don't do that by giving things away. You do that by explaining that
you made a mistake. It happens.

Which he could do privately.

Except that the complaint was made publicly. Any further remedy he
could and should do privately.

WillStG

OSPAM
Yeah, but sometimes when you screw up you have to eat it (or some of it);
it's good business & reinforces the fact that it WAS a mistake & not
something intentionally misleading. I'm not saying they should give away
the farm here, but maybe go ahead & give him the piano package too, if that
won't break the bank, or a small credit on his next order - something! It's
not like it was a typo that anyone would understand as an easy enough to
make mistake - it was a complete misstatement of the offer.

To qualify for the upgrade package deal and price one has to own at least
one NI Instrument that is part of the "NI Instruments Komplete II" upgrade
package. Otherwise you cannot register the updated software and you are
screwed when the month demo period runs out. If the original poster actually
paid for a single instrument that is not part of the upgrade, the remedy would
be to exchange the single instrument package for one that is, or he will end up
having paid $500 for a box of demos. Even though the single instrument may
have been opened the stroe can return it for credit or use it as a floor model
or "something".

Even if the single plugin cost $200 like most dealers have upped the
prices on NI instruments to, that plus $500 upgrade for the Komplete II
packiage is better at $700 than paying $1k plus which is what the new price is.
I did find Battery online for $165 at Warhog which qualifies. The deal expires
at the end of this month I think, so if this interests anyone, the time is now.