JB

Default Critique My Reply from SOS "Readers Advice Column"

I sent and received an answer to a question posted to the "Readers
Advice Column" from the magazine Sound on Sound. I gratefully request
anyone's additional recommendations!!

Question: I am a composer (electronic) using samplers, analog and
digital synths *only*. When a client(s) requests my services, I haul
my gear to a local studio that I've had a working relationship for
many years. My last trip, the engineer commented "You could save
yourself alot of hassle by just bringing in audio files and only bring
in the gear you really feel necessary".

My Dilemna: I use a 10 yr old Mackie CR1604 at home, mainly because I
only record to an Audiowerk card in my Mac to drop tunes into my iPod
to help in the arrangement, composition process. Obviously my signal
chain is ill-suited for the quality I need. Should I invest in say a
Crest XR-24 or a Speck Ultramix along with a decent outboard converter
- or maybe a preamp/EQ/AD converter recording 1 track at a time?

Answer From SOS: Go with a multi-port interface such as a MOTU 828MKII
with the 24I/O option. Use your existing Mackie for monitoring and if
needed, mixdown.

I guess my question is... are analog mixers irrelevant? I run a large
MIDI rig with a lot of line-level inputs and the thought of using a
computer to replace an analog mixer just seems like alot of work. I do
need high quality sound - but colleagues of mine buy a *good* mixer,
like a Ghost, and it is a relevant piece of gear for a number of
years, while the original 828's they owned, they're dumping on eBay
3-4 years later. The multi-port interfaces seem to have a shelf-life
of 2-3 years before they are obsolete!

Am I missing something? Could some studio owner/ engineer chime in on
this? Greatly appreciated!!!
Blind Joni

I guess my question is... are analog mixers irrelevant? I run a large
MIDI rig with a lot of line-level inputs and the thought of using a
computer to replace an analog mixer just seems like alot of work.

Your friend is saying basically this..render your MIDI files to audio tracks
and bring them to him to mix and process. I do a lot of mixing of outside
recorded material and the easiest way for me is if the tracks come in on a CD
as wav. files. This saves studio setup time, possible mishaps with the MIDI
gear/hookup and hassle for the studio engineer. Mixing outside stuff is fun
but the please level goes down quick the more I have to putz around getting
audio recorded into the computer, lined up..etc.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY