Posted to rec.audio.pro
BW[_2_] BW[_2_] is offline

Default new drive upgrades

So I'm wanting a new drive or two for a system I use for audio
production. Right now I got a P4 w/ ASUS P4C800-e delux with 2 7200
IDE drives and a 7200 SATA. The IDE's are getting a little old so I'm
thinking at least one could use a retirement. The board won't handle
SATA 3 but downgrading the drive isn't an issue (from what I
understand). I wasn't really thinking of setting up RAID but its not
out of the question.

What I was thinking is ditching the oldest IDE drive and setting up
the "newer" IDE for XP and programs then using a new SATA for working
audio and the other SATA for storage. The other option would be to go
RAID for either the OS or even the data drives or both. I could ditch
both IDEs and setup a the OS on a RAID SATA's the do a RAID SATA for
the data, but this would mean buying 2 new drive at least. I'm not
worried about parity so we're talking RAID 0 for any of this. I'm not
a pro with all this bus speed/Promise stuff so would it be worth it to
use all SATA for the drives, or would keeping the one IDE for the OS
make sense. Or is RAID even worth it for running XP, I can see how the
arary would help for the working audio, but for just storage not so
much. Would I want to consider using the Promise connection for any of
this? The only card I have in there is the vid card, my audio card
uses firewire. So any opinions are welcome on getting the most out of
this board as possible for read/write bus speeds.

thanks BW
Posted to rec.audio.pro
BW[_2_] BW[_2_] is offline

On Nov 2, 4:53 pm, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
Also readhttp://www.techworld.com/storage/features/index.cfm?featureid=1019

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

Nice articles, thanks.

So what would the best idea be, to run the OS off the PATA or SATA
drive, or since I'm running SATA1 will it make any difference?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 11:22:24 -0800 (PST), BW
wrote:

So I'm wanting a new drive or two for a system I use for audio
production. Right now I got a P4 w/ ASUS P4C800-e delux with 2 7200
IDE drives and a 7200 SATA. The IDE's are getting a little old so I'm
thinking at least one could use a retirement. The board won't handle
SATA 3 but downgrading the drive isn't an issue (from what I
understand). I wasn't really thinking of setting up RAID but its not
out of the question.

Does a RAID controller count as an extra device, competing for
motherboard resources? Since mainstream drives are now very fast,
keeping the device count low and simple has seemed more important to a
DAW than any theoretical speed increase.