Posted to rec.audio.high-end
gary kelly gary kelly is offline

Default I need extraordanary high power amp--suggestions

I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers? If so
please email as I do not regulary read this groop
but do need your conciderable expertise.

thanks in advance:mad man

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

gary kelly wrote:
I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers? If so
please email as I do not regulary read this groop
but do need your conciderable expertise.

thanks in advance:mad man

Strapped Dynaco 416, Strapped Phase-Linear 1000 (the amp, not the
autocorrelator), Strapped HK Citation 16 (requires internal
modificaction).

I know of no present-day power-amps costing less than US$ Five Figures
with that kind of power.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stuart Krivis Stuart Krivis is offline

On 19 Sep 2006 00:07:12 GMT, "gary kelly"
wrote:

I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers? If so
please email as I do not regulary read this groop
but do need your conciderable expertise.

thanks in advance:mad man

Well, we _do_ read this group, and if you want advice you will have to
also.

I'd suggest you contact Crown International.
http://www.crownaudio.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 19 Sep 2006 23:23:10 GMT, "Peter Wieck" wrote:

gary kelly wrote:
I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers? If so
please email as I do not regulary read this groop
but do need your conciderable expertise.

thanks in advance:mad man

Strapped Dynaco 416, Strapped Phase-Linear 1000 (the amp, not the
autocorrelator), Strapped HK Citation 16 (requires internal
modificaction).

I know of no present-day power-amps costing less than US$ Five Figures
with that kind of power.

He didn't specify a maximum price. :-)

If anyone has such a product currently, or can build him one, I'd bet
on Crown being the one.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC MC is offline

gary kelly wrote:
I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave
input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers? If
so
please email as I do not regulary read this
groop
but do need your conciderable expertise.

thanks in advance:mad man

Strapped Dynaco 416, Strapped Phase-Linear 1000 (the amp, not the
autocorrelator), Strapped HK Citation 16 (requires internal
modificaction).

I know of no present-day power-amps costing less than US$ Five Figures
with that kind of power.

He didn't specify a maximum price. :-)

If anyone has such a product currently, or can build him one, I'd bet
on Crown being the one.

He also didn't specify the acceptable level of distortion, nor the type of
speakers to be driven.

The military used to have some super-loud PA systems that used tubes that
were normally used for big radio transmitters.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
gary kelly wrote:
I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers? If so
please email as I do not regulary read this groop
but do need your conciderable expertise.

thanks in advance:mad man

Strapped Dynaco 416, Strapped Phase-Linear 1000 (the amp, not the
autocorrelator), Strapped HK Citation 16 (requires internal
modificaction).

I know of no present-day power-amps costing less than US$ Five Figures
with that kind of power.

This one will do it
http://www.krellonline.com/krell_com...id=30&page=MRA

"The Master Reference Amplifier brings a new level of performance to
sound reproduction. Its tremendous power (exceeding 1,000 W into 8
Ohms, 2,000 W into 4 Ohms, 4,000 W into 2 Ohms, 8,000 W into 1 Ohm, and
16,000 W into .5 Ohm) gives the listener the freedom to enjoy
unconstrained sound reproduction. The technological innovations that
manage these large amounts of power are transparent to the user."

Scott
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
BEAR BEAR is offline

wrote:

Peter Wieck wrote:

gary kelly wrote:

[...]

Yeah, doubtless it can do 1,000 watts... heh.

But it isn't going to do any 16,000 watts plugged into any normal power
source at 110vac. It would need to draw 145 amps of power for that. Even
at 240vac it needs 66 amps! Pushing the limits of practicality.

And I fail to see any power supply in the images shown, so I presume it
is a switching supply, which means that half of those output devices or
some goodly proportion thereof are the output stage of the switching
supply... so lessee... to produce the requisite power one needs to first
key up the switching supply, then the output stage can have the required
current? Dunno about that being effective. Perhaps if the switching freq
is high enough...

_-_-bear
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
gary kelly gary kelly is offline

Thanks for all your educated input it appears that I may be going with the
amplifier made by instruments incorporated at 15 grand.
madman

"BEAR" wrote in message

Peter Wieck wrote:

gary kelly wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC MC is offline

"gary kelly" wrote in message
Thanks for all your educated input it appears that I may be going with the
amplifier made by instruments incorporated at 15 grand.
madman

Just out of curiosity, what is this for and what will it be driving?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 23 Sep 2006 02:07:54 GMT, "MC" wrote:

He also didn't specify the acceptable level of distortion, nor the type of
speakers to be driven.

The military used to have some super-loud PA systems that used tubes that
were normally used for big radio transmitters.

That guy who had Plasmatronics speakers (Hilliard?) evidently did some
work with the Air Force on modulating the output of jet engines at
audio frequencies. I suspect that would be rather loud. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

Stuart Krivis wrote:
On 23 Sep 2006 02:07:54 GMT, "MC" wrote:
He also didn't specify the acceptable level of distortion, nor the type of
speakers to be driven.

The military used to have some super-loud PA systems that used tubes that
were normally used for big radio transmitters.

That guy who had Plasmatronics speakers (Hilliard?)
evidently did some work with the Air Force on modulating
the output of jet engines at audio frequencies. I suspect
that would be rather loud. :-)

You're mixing too many urban legends.

J. K. Hilliard may or may not have had anything to do with
Plasmatronics, but I'd bet he did not. And he did not have
anything to do with "modulating the output of jet engines."

WHat he DID do was publisjh an article describing the
work he did when he was at LTV (Ling-Temco-Vaught)
in the 1960's (Hilliard, J. K., "High-Power, Low-Frequency
Loudspeakers," J. Audio Eng. Soc., 1965 July). In this
article, he describes a method by which low-frequency
acoustic propogation studies were conducted in
association with Saturn V engine tests at Hunstville,
AL for NASA. The studies were done to decide when the
optimum time for engine testing was to minimize sound
impact on populated areas.

The technique used an electro-pneumatic transducer,
essentially am air-modulated driver for large, low-frequency
horns.

"At the Huntsville aand Mississippi test sites, air
modulated loudspeakers have been erected on
60-ft high towers. They radiate several kilowatts
of acoustic power to low frequencies in the region
of 30 to 60 Hz. The sound level at a distance of
10 miles or more is above the ambient noise and
so the propogation loos can be measured on a
steady basis. By this methodm the normal propogation
is determined and firing is done only at these times."

He does refer later in the article to structural fatigue
caused by jet engine noise, and the utility of high-power
drivers such as he descibed above for simulating the
phenomenon.

But he never talks about "modulating the output of jet
engines," Nor would such be possible in the same
way the plasmatronics sort of worked. Plasmatronics
speakers and their ilk are extrardinarily inefficient and
almost the WORST choice for the kinds of acoustic
output needed in such work.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On 26 Sep 2006 03:46:24 GMT, wrote:

Stuart Krivis wrote:
On 23 Sep 2006 02:07:54 GMT, "MC" wrote:
He also didn't specify the acceptable level of distortion, nor the type of
speakers to be driven.

The military used to have some super-loud PA systems that used tubes that
were normally used for big radio transmitters.

That guy who had Plasmatronics speakers (Hilliard?)
evidently did some work with the Air Force on modulating
the output of jet engines at audio frequencies. I suspect
that would be rather loud. :-)

You're mixing too many urban legends.

Well, I did have the wrong name. The Plasmatronics guy was Alan Hill.

I will have to see if I can dig up the interview with Hill. I could be
mistaken about what it contained.

The technique used an electro-pneumatic transducer,
essentially am air-modulated driver for large, low-frequency
horns.

But he never talks about "modulating the output of jet
engines," Nor would such be possible in the same
way the plasmatronics sort of worked. Plasmatronics
speakers and their ilk are extrardinarily inefficient and
almost the WORST choice for the kinds of acoustic
output needed in such work.

As I understood it, the Plasmatronic speakers used an expanding and
contracting plasma to move air.

The info I remember on modulating jet engines did use air to modulate
the output of the jet (although that's no big surprise because I can't
think of much else that could do it) and worked as an amplifier.

I'm sure I would have remembered if it had been a Saturn V engine that
was mentioned though...

As I said, I'll see if I can find the interview.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stuart Krivis Stuart Krivis is offline

On 26 Sep 2006 03:46:24 GMT, wrote:

That guy who had Plasmatronics speakers (Hilliard?)
evidently did some work with the Air Force on modulating
the output of jet engines at audio frequencies. I suspect
that would be rather loud. :-)

You're mixing too many urban legends.

The Absolute Sound, Vol. 6 Number 18, June 1980, pp. 176-182

One page 178, he mentions "other plasma speakers," one of which was
electron-beam-driven and generated copious quantities of X-rays.

Then, and I quote:

AH: I should mention one of the many other iterations along the way,
the jet-engine-driven plasma-controlled aerodynamic loudspeaker, I
suppose.

JTH: Please do.

AH: This one has been reduced to practice, in the laboratory, at
least. Its original intent was to provide a means to modulate a laser
beam by setting up very strong density perturbations in air, which, of
course, led to sound as a byproduct. And in this case, plenty of
sound. We were able to actually generate (theoretically) levels of
about 186 dB SPL inside the plasma. It's conceivable that this kind of
technology could support outdoor concerts and the like with extremely
wide-range, good quality sound.

I apologize for any confusion, but it looks like my original statement
was fairly close. I just had the wrong name.

I probably did read that paper by Hilliard, perhaps in one of the JAES
Loudspeaker anthologies. (His name was certainly stuck in my mind.)
:-)

So we'll just sever this one into two right here. You explained
Hilliard and I explained Hill. :-)
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Edwin Hurwitz Edwin Hurwitz is offline

In article ,
"gary kelly" wrote:

I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers? If so
please email as I do not regulary read this groop
but do need your conciderable expertise.

thanks in advance:mad man

I used to play a venue in Rochester NY that had 7,000 watt Pickering
amps that they got pretty cheap from a hospital. They were used for
imaging and I would imagine they would be fine for your application if
you could find some. The hospital had to turn them over every so often
to stay in spec. They sure drove the hell out of the EV subs they were
hooked up to!

Edwin

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Ketil Kirkerud Elgethun Ketil Kirkerud Elgethun is offline

"gary kelly" writes:

I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers?

Lab gruppen (www.labgruppen.com) make amplifiers that can handle power
in this range (and more!).

Check out the fp or FP+ series of amplifiers, they should cope
easily with your needs.

From what I remember, a 2x3200W fp amp (the fp6400) cost less than
USD3000.

---Ketil

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
https://www.wenterprisesnorthwest.com https://www.wenterprisesnorthwest.com is offline
Banned

You might consider going with pro gear for a relatively inexpensive way to
get the power you're looking for. For example, you might consider the
Peavey CS4080HZ which puts out 1,025 wpc x 2 into 8 Ohms (2,040 wpc x 2 into
4 Ohms). I don't know the bandwidth power rating, so you might have to do a
little research to find that out, but for under $1,600, that's a pretty good
value.

An exceptional value, although may not be as practical, would be a dedicated
subwoofer amplifier. If your speakers draw a 4-Ohm load, then you might
examine the Dayton HPSA1000. This one puts out 1,024 watts x 1 channel into
4 Ohms (512 watts into 8 Ohms) for under $400/ea. and you get the benefits
of a variable crossover as wellas other items that are familiar to a powered
subwoofer's amplifier.

References to these items were found on PartsExpress.com.

Happy Listening!

"gary kelly" wrote in message
I need a high power audio amplifier that will operate with a sine wave
input
(5 to 300 HZ) and generate an output of 1000 watts or better without
thermaling out for several hours. any suggestions on manufacturers? If
so
please email as I do not regulary read this groop
but do need your conciderable expertise.

thanks in advance:mad man

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Stuart Krivis Stuart Krivis is offline

On 7 Oct 2006 21:50:19 GMT, "https://www.wenterprisesnorthwest.com"
wrote:

You might consider going with pro gear for a relatively inexpensive way to
get the power you're looking for. For example, you might consider the
Peavey CS4080HZ which puts out 1,025 wpc x 2 into 8 Ohms (2,040 wpc x 2 into
4 Ohms). I don't know the bandwidth power rating, so you might have to do a
little research to find that out, but for under $1,600, that's a pretty good
value.

But will it really do that for hours without shutting down?

I have never thought of Peavey as being a maker of quality power amps,
although they do some other things pretty well.

An exceptional value, although may not be as practical, would be a dedicated
subwoofer amplifier. If your speakers draw a 4-Ohm load, then you might
examine the Dayton HPSA1000. This one puts out 1,024 watts x 1 channel into
4 Ohms (512 watts into 8 Ohms) for under $400/ea. and you get the benefits
of a variable crossover as wellas other items that are familiar to a powered
subwoofer's amplifier.

I'd bet that this plate amp won't even come close to working out for
him. Even the Peavey would be a better bet. :-)