KESMON

Default Paradigm Front vs. Rear ported speakers

I need to buy some HT speakers that will go in the bookshelf. I
originally wanted mini's or monitor 3's, but they are rear ported. Is
it absolutely necessary to have front ported speakers to go in a
bookshelf OR would I be ok if they were 4-6" from the back of the
bookshelf?

If I need front ported, what would be a good choice for around the
same price?

Thanks for the help.
rude

The port needs to be clear to be effective, the idea is that as lower
frequencies travel from a central point (non directional), they need to be
able to get around the box so to speak. You might be better off getting
closed boxes for your bookshelf as they are not so restricted in placement,
or stick to front ports. Can't help you with brands much, I don't really
like any of them, consequently I build my own.

om...