Ben

Default Newbie Questions

The old Denon cassete/receiver in my car has frozen, so only the radio
works. Apparently, Denon stopped making car stereos years ago, so my
only choice is to buy new. I don't need no pimp-mobile--I just have a
Ford Escort, and want to be able to listen to the radio and tapes when
I drive. I don't need to be able to blow the adjacent cars off the road
with my volume or attract sweet young things from a mile away.

What are the basic specs I should look for? Are there any "best buys"
you would reccommend? I am hoping to spend around $100 fro the deck and
some comparable amount for new speakers.

MZ

The old Denon cassete/receiver in my car has frozen, so only the radio
works. Apparently, Denon stopped making car stereos years ago, so my
only choice is to buy new.

Denon still makes car audio gear, but I don't think it's being released in
the United States. Although I thought I heard talk of it happening, or
maybe it has already happened. Anyway, you can still get used Denon stuff
on ebay, though it's a bit pricey due to its popularity and limited supply.

I don't need no pimp-mobile--I just have a
Ford Escort, and want to be able to listen to the radio and tapes when
I drive. I don't need to be able to blow the adjacent cars off the road
with my volume or attract sweet young things from a mile away.

What are the basic specs I should look for? Are there any "best buys"
you would reccommend? I am hoping to spend around $100 fro the deck and
some comparable amount for new speakers.

Tapes? What are those?

Spike

the easy way is to go to www.crutchfield.com and plug in your cars
identity to see what fits. Then.... take that list and shop around for
the best price you can find. Crutchfield also had install kits for
various cars so what you get and install looks like a original part
(or close facsimile thereof) plus connectors, etc.

you might also go to www.cnet.com and check out their reviews, where
you will find comparison ratings, reviews with listings of the bells
and whistles, the pros and cons of each model, and best prices
available with links to those places (which will also tell you the
cost of shipping, tax (if any), in stock or not, etc.

On 10 Jun 2005 10:25:02 -0700, "Ben" wrote:

The old Denon cassete/receiver in my car has frozen, so only the radio
works. Apparently, Denon stopped making car stereos years ago, so my
only choice is to buy new. I don't need no pimp-mobile--I just have a
Ford Escort, and want to be able to listen to the radio and tapes when
I drive. I don't need to be able to blow the adjacent cars off the road
with my volume or attract sweet young things from a mile away.

What are the basic specs I should look for? Are there any "best buys"
you would reccommend? I am hoping to spend around $100 fro the deck and
some comparable amount for new speakers.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16

Newbie questions: CD jukebox, software, soundcard RJLadd Tech 17 April 16th 05 12:36 PM
Newbie Mixer Questions Matthew Blake Pro Audio 7 February 1st 05 04:45 PM
Are newbie questions welcomed here? w989531 Pro Audio 45 January 4th 05 02:30 AM
Newbie questions Trent Car Audio 2 December 31st 04 04:37 AM
Newbie Subwoofer questions OodlesoFun Audio Opinions 23 January 12th 04 05:51 PM