Default Earthworks ZDT preamps vs. Millennia HV3 preamps

anybody compare the two? they seem be trying to achieve the same thing.

Scott Dorsey

In article .com,
wrote:
anybody compare the two? they seem be trying to achieve the same thing.

They are. The Millennia is more neutral, but for the money you'd
expect that too.

Thanks Mr. Dorsey,

It's interesting that the Millennia is more neutral to me, because the
Earthworks spec says it's flat +/- .01db over the spectrum, but
Millennia gives a +/-3db spec.

So I thought the Millennia would have some db dips and peaks somewhere
in the range that would cause it to be less neutral.

But the Millennia has the reputation for being super-neutral, and I'm
easily duped by specs. :-)

Scott Dorsey

It's interesting that the Millennia is more neutral to me, because the
Earthworks spec says it's flat +/- .01db over the spectrum, but
Millennia gives a +/-3db spec.

So I thought the Millennia would have some db dips and peaks somewhere
in the range that would cause it to be less neutral.

This goes to tell you how useless frequency response measurements are
these days. They are both so flat that it doesn't matter.

Now, if you could see distortion spectra on them, THEN you might start
seeing something interesting.

But the Millennia has the reputation for being super-neutral, and I'm
easily duped by specs. :-)

Both Earthworks and Millennia have excellent support before and after
the sale, and should be able to get you something to try out with a
credit card deposit. Ignore the specs and listen to both.