Patrick Turner

Default Anyone have a scan of a Grundig 5088?

I'm repairing a grundig radio from 1957/58,
model 5088WE.
If anyone has a schematic, is a scan and send a possiblity?
I can only accept jpg, gif, pdf, and mediun size file that is readable.

TIA,

Patrick Turner.

Iain M Churches

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
I'm repairing a grundig radio from 1957/58,
model 5088WE.
If anyone has a schematic, is a scan and send a possiblity?
I can only accept jpg, gif, pdf, and mediun size file that is readable.

TIA,

Patrick Turner.

Hello Patrick,

Take a look at;

http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_forum...hread_id=41660

Cordially,

Iain

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message
I'm repairing a grundig radio from 1957/58,
model 5088WE.
If anyone has a schematic, is a scan and send a possiblity?
I can only accept jpg, gif, pdf, and mediun size file that is readable.

TIA,

Patrick Turner.

Hello Patrick,

Take a look at;

http://www.radiomuseum.org/dsp_forum...hread_id=41660

Cordially,

Iain

It is too late.
I identified all the problems with the Grundig 5088 appeared to have without
a schematic.
The client is very well pleased with the sound
after a couple of days work, a new PSU to get rid of thre appalling hum
level, a few new caps
and resistors here and there.
Very listenable FM reception.
AM is a little poor because AF bw is only 2.7kHz due to the RF selectivity,
but the speaker response and tone controls boost that a bit to make
speach quite OK.
That set has 4 speakers in 3 sides of the cabinet.
The 2 small oval "side speakers" had voice coils jammed so I left them
in the box but out of the circuit. The main front is a nice oval type,
but the electrostatic tweeter was a product of wishful
german ingenuity, since its level was so low with respect to the bass/mid
oval speaker.
I put in a cap coupled dynamic from the junk box and that fixed the treble.

The style of this radio was plush, with a long dial, plenty of lights,
lots of buttons, trick tuning with a clutch so tuning AM can be done without
disturbing the FM setting you were on.
Gold trim as well. Probably cost a bomb.

The red resistors with lettering all were close to the right value.

It even had a PP EL95 output circuit.
This needed new coupling caps which were all so leaky they'd
caused the common Rk to burn out and electro to ****e itself.
Individual cathode bias brought the bias for both tubes near equal
and like a new pair of tubes i tried in it.
In cases like that where the old bias up like new there is usually no need to
replace tubes if it sounds ok
when cranked up. Maybe it goes another 20 years on those tubes.
But the 6AL5 ratio detector tube was quite stuffed.
The rest were fine, and i think originals, not bad for a 1957 set.
Although there is a shirtload of switching, the switches are reliable,
and after fixing 3 of these sets in the last 9 years not one had bad
switches.
The switching was impossible to trace, its so complex, and I think
it did some of the tone control in the mild NFB circuit.
SW was OK.

Patrick Turner.

Iain M Churches

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

It is too late.
I identified all the problems with the Grundig 5088 appeared to have
without
a schematic.

You're quick Patrick. Most repair shops can't turn round
an item like than in under 30 days.

I sent the link to you as soon as I found it, and didn't think
that with the weekend in between you would have even opened
the case.

Good service. Your client must be pleased:-)

Iain

Patrick Turner

Iain M Churches wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

It is too late.
I identified all the problems with the Grundig 5088 appeared to have
without
a schematic.

You're quick Patrick. Most repair shops can't turn round
an item like than in under 30 days.

I just spent two days rewiring one AM radio to my own schematic.
Now I have the cabinet to strip and recoat, so
maybe by friday the total rebuld will be done.
But I was given months to do the job.
I am finally doing some jobs brought to me last year.
I still have about 4 from last year to go before I am finally
up to date on repairs.

I also get the interruptions from old customers who want a quick fix.

I employ a guy to do my SS repairs, and at least that
keeps me away from all that ****.

I must have a cash flow, and some folks are keener than others
to get their jobs done.

I sent the link to you as soon as I found it, and didn't think
that with the weekend in between you would have even opened
the case.

Good service. Your client must be pleased:-)

Sometimes I allow the faster jobs to queu jump.

If I didn't, I'd loose business, and have a lynching mob after me.
One has to play the crowd.....
And the bills won't pay themselves.

Patrick Turner.

Iain

Grundig SC 303 Smith Car Audio 2 March 9th 05 10:52 PM
Grundig Stereo tube tuner Robert Losonci Marketplace 0 October 24th 04 02:25 PM
Grundig 4805 Manual Robert Car Audio 0 June 18th 04 03:29 PM
FA: Toshiba 4700 progressive scan DVD-V, DVD-A player Harry Lavo Marketplace 0 April 17th 04 11:31 PM
FA: Toshiba 4700 progressive scan DVD-V, DVD-A player Harry Lavo Marketplace 0 April 17th 04 11:31 PM