Anseo

Default Looking for a mic arm & spin that is FLEXIBLE and does not sag

A couple of years ago I was at a radio station were they had super
flexible mic arms: you just grabbed the mic, moved it freely *any*
desired position and there it stayed as you let go of the mic.

Real easy, flexible and precise. Much better IMHO than the
conventional mic stands I see everywhere in studios or at concerts. I
find these rather clumsy for a difficult angle when recording
acoustical instruments. As a matter of fact, I find several things on
conventional mic stands & spins design not so clever. Also, some of
them sag.

My question: does anyone know how these "radio" mic arms are called,
do they exist as boom stands for in the studio and does anyone know a
spin that you can turn all directions (not just up and down)?

Thanks.
Jim Gregory

Canford Audio (UK) sell Anglepoise arms (spring-tensioned, as used in
adjustable reading lamps) but with a thread to take mic clamp hardware
bushes....
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/pr...oductid=96-334

"Anseo" wrote in message
om...
A couple of years ago I was at a radio station were they had super
flexible mic arms: you just grabbed the mic, moved it freely *any*
desired position and there it stayed as you let go of the mic.

Real easy, flexible and precise. Much better IMHO than the
conventional mic stands I see everywhere in studios or at concerts. I
find these rather clumsy for a difficult angle when recording
acoustical instruments. As a matter of fact, I find several things on
conventional mic stands & spins design not so clever. Also, some of
them sag.

My question: does anyone know how these "radio" mic arms are called,
do they exist as boom stands for in the studio and does anyone know a
spin that you can turn all directions (not just up and down)?

Thanks.

Scott Dorsey

Anseo wrote:

My question: does anyone know how these "radio" mic arms are called,
do they exist as boom stands for in the studio and does anyone know a
spin that you can turn all directions (not just up and down)?

They are called broadcast booms. There are a bunch of manufacturers.
in the US, you could call Broadcast Supply West or Harris-Allied Broadcast
Supply, each of which carry several lines.

Jonny Durango

Not exactly pro radio gear, but just FYI

You can make a mic holder using thick gauge copper wire.....I use mine for
navigating through the jungle of cymbal stands and resonating buckets that
is the drum set....this is great because you can custom make the "arm" to
suit your needs. Thicker wire for bigger mics/less movement, thinner for
smaller....long reach, short reach....to a attach a mic clip you can thread
the end of the copper and attach something that will hold a bolt that you
can screw a mic clip onto....or you can just do like I did and wrap the
copper around a bolt that will hold a mic clip, put a nut on the bolt to
clamp it strongly in place (threadlock makes it even stronger) and viola!
Attach the other end to a wall/ceiling/heavy object. I used a small bench
vise that is heavy enough to set on the floor, but can also clamp to cymbal
stands. If you want ultra heavy-duty for big LDC's and/or very little
movement, double up on the thick copper. Good luck!

--

Jonny Durango

"Patrick was a saint. I ain't."

http://www.jdurango.com

"Anseo" wrote in message
om...
A couple of years ago I was at a radio station were they had super
flexible mic arms: you just grabbed the mic, moved it freely *any*
desired position and there it stayed as you let go of the mic.

Real easy, flexible and precise. Much better IMHO than the
conventional mic stands I see everywhere in studios or at concerts. I
find these rather clumsy for a difficult angle when recording
acoustical instruments. As a matter of fact, I find several things on
conventional mic stands & spins design not so clever. Also, some of
them sag.

My question: does anyone know how these "radio" mic arms are called,
do they exist as boom stands for in the studio and does anyone know a
spin that you can turn all directions (not just up and down)?

Thanks.

Anseo

Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to answer my question. I just
love this forum, it's one of the best places to get (or give) info.

So, I'm getting myself some flexible "radio" mic arms with heavy
stands and see if that works better. I suspect so. The DIY idea is
good, but if I can buy decent stuff I'll do just that. Because my life
is running out of time.