DaveDrummer

Default Would this make any sense

I love the ease and conviencne of digital recording. It also sounds good,
but analog tape pushed, sounds better. Would it make sense to record to
digital, then push the mixdown to tape, then back to digital? For that
analog sound? Thanks

Dave

Artie Turner

DaveDrummer wrote:
I love the ease and conviencne of digital recording. It also sounds good,
but analog tape pushed, sounds better. Would it make sense to record to
digital, then push the mixdown to tape, then back to digital? For that
analog sound? Thanks

Only your ears can make that determination. If it's any consolation,
plenty of people are buying old analog machines for that very purpose.
Don't think you were the first to come up with that idea!

Artie

Dave

Garthrr

In article , "DaveDrummer"
writes:

I love the ease and conviencne of digital recording. It also sounds good,
but analog tape pushed, sounds better. Would it make sense to record to
digital, then push the mixdown to tape, then back to digital? For that
analog sound? Thanks

Thats one idea. Some people also record first to analog and then later mix in
digi. Others take their final mix done to digital and transfer it to analog to
master it. I suspect there are differences in the way things sound depending on
what stage the A/D or D/A conversion is done at.

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
EggHd

It also sounds good, but analog tape pushed, sounds better. Would it make
sense to record to digital, then push the mixdown to tape, then back to
digital?

That is what many people do. Record didgtal and mix to analog tape. Many
other people track analog and transfer to digial for overdubbing and again mix
to analog.

Some track digital, transfer the drums to an analog machine druing mix and lock
the machine to the digital and mix to whatever.

There are many many ways to do this.

---------------------------------------

Steven Sena

Ampex MM1200

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording
"DaveDrummer" wrote in message
well, I have no money now to spend on this stuff now anyway, but just
curious. What would be a suitable tape deck to do this type of thing?

Dave
"DaveDrummer" wrote in message
I love the ease and conviencne of digital recording. It also sounds

good,
but analog tape pushed, sounds better. Would it make sense to record to
digital, then push the mixdown to tape, then back to digital? For that
analog sound? Thanks

Dave

Monte P McGuire

In article ,
DaveDrummer wrote:
I love the ease and conviencne of digital recording. It also sounds good,
but analog tape pushed, sounds better. Would it make sense to record to
digital, then push the mixdown to tape, then back to digital? For that
analog sound? Thanks

It's often a different thing to squish each individual track than it
is to squish an entire mix. If you want to track analog, then track
analog. It's not the same as tracking digital and mixing analog.

Regards,

Monte McGuire