Gregory Lee

Default newbie questions - 44/16 to 96/24 bad?

I read from some previous posts that transferring 44 khz 16 bit audio
from a DAT machine to computer via USB at 96 khz 24 bit is not good
but I wanted to confirm this. I have a SPDIF cable running from the
DAT to the Soundblaster Extigy, and a USB cable from the Extigy to the
laptop. Am I losing quality over this connection? I've heard that
the Extigy is not good for this purpose, only good for gaming?

Also, I've read previous posts about the M-Audio Duo; as a standalone
pre-amp and D/A converter only, does it produce a clean sound? I've
heard that the 9 volt transformer might make the pre-amp noisy? Would
this relatively inexpensive pre-amp be unsuitable good mics, like
Neumann KM184? I read a review comparing it with several other
pre-amps including the Apogee Mini-Me, but wanted to get some other
opinions. Would you say the Mini-me is far off from the Duo?

Thanks in advance.
Sugarite

I read from some previous posts that transferring 44 khz 16 bit audio
from a DAT machine to computer via USB at 96 khz 24 bit is not good
but I wanted to confirm this. I have a SPDIF cable running from the
DAT to the Soundblaster Extigy, and a USB cable from the Extigy to the
laptop. Am I losing quality over this connection? I've heard that
the Extigy is not good for this purpose, only good for gaming?

The digital transfer wouldn't change the sample rate or bit depth. Any
changes would be made on the computer after the fact. Raising the bit depth
wouldn't do much good since most editors process at 32-bits anyway, and any
advantage gained by processing at a higher sample rate (use 88.2 for 44.1,
and 96 for 48) probably wouldn't be appreciable unless it's a pretty
pristine recording with high-end gear.

Also, I've read previous posts about the M-Audio Duo; as a standalone
pre-amp and D/A converter only, does it produce a clean sound? I've
heard that the 9 volt transformer might make the pre-amp noisy? Would
this relatively inexpensive pre-amp be unsuitable good mics, like
Neumann KM184? I read a review comparing it with several other
pre-amps including the Apogee Mini-Me, but wanted to get some other
opinions. Would you say the Mini-me is far off from the Duo?

The KM184 is a pretty silky mic, I'd say it out-classes the Duo, and the
Mini-Me would be more appropriate. I don't think it's so much an issue of
the wall-wart power supply, since it is AC and shouldn't need pulse
inverters to generate the 48V phantom power as would be necessary with a DC
power supply (like what's provided over USB), often a source of noise in
compact pre's. The Extigy has 24/96 a/d converters so I'd recommend
starting with a preamp only, and not worry about a/d or USB all in one unit
for the time being. Something tells me this is a rig intended for location
use, you should look at an FMR RNP, a nice pair of preamps that can run on a
DC source, like a 12V SLA battery, and its pulse inverters are clean. Much
less money than a Mini-Me too.