Arny Krueger

Default Convert Mac WAV to Windows WAV??

"Eric Endres" wrote in message
hlink.net

Hi there. A studio recently transferred some recordings for me to
edit on my home system. We had asked to have everything in WAV
format, but didn't specify we were using Windows. They were
transferred to CDs from a MAC Pro Tools system, but the CDs don't
show any files and nothing will come up when trying to upload the
files to my system. The CDs do show the megabytes that are taken up
on the discs, so the information is obviously there, but it's not
compatible.

Is it possible that the discs are in CD audio format and need to be extraced
using a DAE program like CDEX or EAC?

Is there a simple way to convert what is there to be accessed by
Windows software (Cool Edit Pro, er... Adobe Audition)? Is a
conversion program needed? The studio will do it again if necessary,
but I'd rather save some time and hassle if possible. And if they do
have to transfer the files again, is there a step they need to take
to make sure the WAVs will be compatible with Windows? They weren't
sure, either.

IME there's very little that Adobe Audition/Cool Edit Pro can't convert to a
useful form. In those few cases where this was true, nothing else seemed to
work, either. Remember, CE 2.x and Audition now include a fairly flexible
DAE facility for reading CD audio discs.

However, in some cases experimentation with file parameters is required in
the CE/Audition file open dialog boxes.

Scott Dorsey

Eric Endres wrote:
Hi there. A studio recently transferred some recordings for me to edit on
my home system. We had asked to have everything in WAV format, but didn't
specify we were using Windows. They were transferred to CDs from a MAC Pro
Tools system, but the CDs don't show any files and nothing will come up when
trying to upload the files to my system. The CDs do show the megabytes that
are taken up on the discs, so the information is obviously there, but it's
not compatible.

if you can't see the files at all, it's not a matter of the files being in
the wrong format, it's a matter of the CD being in the wrong format I bet.
By "not see them" you mean that if you go to the "My Computer" icon and
select the CD device that it's empty, right?

Ask them if they made you an ISO fileystem, or if there is a Mac filesystem
on that CD.

Is there a simple way to convert what is there to be accessed by Windows
software (Cool Edit Pro, er... Adobe Audition)? Is a conversion program
needed? The studio will do it again if necessary, but I'd rather save some
time and hassle if possible. And if they do have to transfer the files
again, is there a step they need to take to make sure the WAVs will be
compatible with Windows? They weren't sure, either.

Shouldn't be any problem if they make you an ISO CD. You should be able to
see the files and load them.

bs

Shouldn't be any problem if they make you an ISO CD. You should be able

see the files and load them.
--scott

Just like the Scott said... They burned CD in mac format, and Windows can't
read mac format. There are programs for PC to convert from mac files, but
the simpliest way is to tell them in studio to bur an ISO cd with your
files.

GLASS SHADOW

The program I use for reading Mac formatted discs on my Windows platform is
MacDrive.
http://www.media4.com/products/macdrive/

--
Glass Shadow
http://www.g-2-productions.com/glassshadow/

"Arny Krueger" wrote:
Remember, CE 2.x and Audition now include a fairly flexible
DAE facility for reading CD audio discs.

The CEPRO ripper is the only ripper I know that will create wav files with
the embedded cue points.

However, It's so agonizingly slow that it's nearly useless here.

Can anyone use this to rip a full cd with, say, 10 cue points, in under 100
minutes?

Scott Dorsey

nuke wrote:
Shouldn't be any problem if they make you an ISO CD. You should be able
see the files and load them.

Just ask them to reburn the CD in ISO9660 format.

Either that, or get a program for Windows that can mount HFS file systems.

Can't Windows mount the older High Sierra stuff as well? I know it
can't mount a real Mac filesystem.

Justin Ulysses Morse

It sounds like the studio is using an older Mac system or an older
version of Toast (or whatever) that makes you choose between HFS or
ISO9660 CD formats. The current version of Toast defaults to "Mac/PC
Hybrid" that just about any computer can read. If you can't get them
to burn you a new disc, then you need to download a shareware utility
for opening HFS disks on the Windows platform. I have such a program
on my windoze machine, but don't recall exactly what it's called. Go
to www.tucows.com and look around, you'll find several.

ulysses

In article k.net,
Eric Endres wrote:

[...]

Thanks much,
EE

--
http://www.AWeekInTheLife.com
A Week In The Life - A musical by Eric Endres

I wrote:

The CEPRO ripper is the only ripper I know that will create wav files with
the embedded cue points. However, It's so agonizingly slow that it's nearly useless here.

Now, I've played with Audition's ripper. It may be somewhat faster but
it misreads the cd and should be avoided.

I know CDRWIN rips ok, because I've compared its output against the
original wav file. EAC's valuable "wave file compare" shows significant
differences against Audition, including repeated samples!

Not recommended.