Posted to rec.audio.pro
Animalhouse Animalhouse is offline

Default true "analog" synth plug-in for the PC??

Is there such a thing as an analog synth for the PC? I see loads of
"virtual analog" VST plug-ins and such, but do any of these have a true
analog quality?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 07:44:27 -0500, "Animalhouse"
wrote:

Is there such a thing as an analog synth for the PC? I see loads of
"virtual analog" VST plug-ins and such, but do any of these have a true
analog quality?

Please yourself. They do the things analogue synths do. They don't
have real knobs to twiddle (though you may well be able to assign MIDI
controllers to various parameters and use any knobs and sliders your
controller offers.) Of course, nothing that isn't an original model
of anything will ever sound EXACTLY like the original. Try some and
see if they do things you like.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ethan Winer Ethan Winer is offline

Is there such a thing as an analog synth for the PC? I see loads of
"virtual analog" VST plug-ins and such, but do any of these have a true
analog quality?

My opinion is that modern software synths are better than old analog synths
in many ways. Soft synths don't drift out of tune, they have lower noise and
distortion, and patch parameters can be instantly recalled. If you prefer
some of that old school "dirt" in the sound, which is fine, you can always
run the sound out through a guitar amp etc and use a microphone.

Related, you may find this video interesting:

http://www.vimeo.com/1309545

--Ethan

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Neil Gould Neil Gould is offline

Animalhouse wrote:
Is there such a thing as an analog synth for the PC? I see loads of
"virtual analog" VST plug-ins and such, but do any of these have a
true analog quality?

Thanks

By definition, the answer is "no", as there is no analog synth circuitry in
the PC. If you've ever owned and appreciated an early analog synth, then
there are many things about those units that have not been, nor are likely
to be replicated in virtual synth implementations.

OTOH, it's been a long time since such things mattered to most synthesizer
users.

--
Best,

Neil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

"Animalhouse" wrote in message
Is there such a thing as an analog synth for the PC? I see loads of
"virtual analog" VST plug-ins and such, but do any of these have a true
analog quality?

As an analog junkie, I have to say 'no, but it's close'. I've done a few A/B
comparisons between the soft synth and the real deal. Close, but no cigar.
There are quite a few freebies out there too which are pretty good
considering the priceg
While I most likely wouldn't use a soft synth in place of my Minimoog model
D, Moog Sonic 6, or Sequential Circuits Prophet -5, there *are* some
interesting sounds/textures that you can do with them.
While Ethan mentioned tuning/noise issue, that is the precise reason why I
still use them. Just as an orchestra isn't perfectly in tune, I actually
prefer the oscillators drift just enough to add some character :-)

Poly